What camshaft to use?

-

65dartcharger

Dart Charger 273 Historian
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm building an vintage 65 Dart drag race car. At the same time I wish to have it driveable.

This is what I have;
1964 273 charger w/10,5 comp ratio
302 heads
Prestolite distributor
Milodon gear drive
Offenhauser dual 4s
Carter 3854s carbs
Doug Thorley headers

Any input would be sweet. This is not my area for sure!

Attachments

• DSC_0073.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 408
Auto, 904 tranny. Will try to find a coverter with a little higher stall. Forgot right now 7 1/4 SG w/3.23. Possible chsnge to 3.55 gears.

Without knowing how much gear and converter you are willing to tolerate. it will be hard to make a recommendation. "Streetable"or "driveable" are subjective terms. The 9.5 Dynamic converter in my Satellite might seem a little too loose for some people. However it has been in the car for a dozen years without failure and I drive it all the time. So, as far as reliability and maintenance go, it has been very streetable. Doesn't do fuel economy any favors though.

If you really plan on racing that 7 1/4 rear end has to go . They don't stand up well to racing

Yeah, the 7.250 will need upgrading to something bigger. I would put something in it like the MP .528 solid. That would be badass.

Mopar "says" .528 lift, 284 advertised duration, 241 duration @ .050 and ground on a 112. I don't think it's near that big @ .050 though. They idle too smooth and pull lots of vacuum. I am thinking they are more like 228-232 @ .050.

I'm building an vintage 65 Dart drag race car. At the same time I wish to have it driveable.

This is what I have;
302 heads
Prestolite distributor
Milodon gear drive
Offenhauser dual 4s
Carter 3854s carbs
Doug Thorley headers

Driveable

Meaning 'a daily driver', or an occasional weekend cruise.

This is what I have;
302 heads
Prestolite distributor
Milodon gear drive
Offenhauser dual 4s
Carter 3854s carbs
Doug Thorley headers

Must be some decent domes on those pistons to achieve actual 10.5:1...

That being said, the MP .528 would probably work well for you, or possibly a lunati voodoo cam-lunati also makes what they call a factory performance cam for small blocks...looks like a pretty decent grind. Might be a little small for 10.5:1 though...dunno

http://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=1525&gid=255

Are you set on a solid or hydraulic? Also as said, need a better rear axle...if you can't get an 8.75, at least an 8.25 for spirited driving or actual racing.

Must be some decent domes on those pistons to achieve actual 10.5:1...

That being said, the MP .528 would probably work well for you, or possibly a lunati voodoo cam-lunati also makes what they call a factory performance cam for small blocks...looks like a pretty decent grind. Might be a little small for 10.5:1 though...dunno

http://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=1525&gid=255

Are you set on a solid or hydraulic? Also as said, need a better rear axle...if you can't get an 8.75, at least an 8.25 for spirited driving or actual racing.

Plans are solid camshaft. I have all the valve train etc for it. Re the axle I know. We'll see with what I can come up with.:burnout:

-
Back