What car got you into Mopars?

-
I bought($500) my first mopar (and car) in the summer of 1981 when I was 15 from I guy I worked with at the animal shelter/dog kennel.1973 Dodge Charger 400/console auto/3.23 sure grip.Blue with white vinyl top and white interior.Sold it two years later with a blown head gasket for $300 to buy the favorite car I have ever owned.1970 Charger R/T 440 magnum/4 speed/4.10 Dana.It had headers on it when I bought it.Rebuilt the motor the following year,added a six pak and the mopar .509 cam and some big 295/50/15 rear tires on chrome rims.It was fast and fun.Wish I had kept both of them or could afford to replace either one of them today.

Back in late 1969, I was doing my apprenticeship in a small automotive repair shop. I worked with 2 other apprentices . We all decided we needed new cars. I went to a Chev dealer and bought a 69 Chevelle SS, got a year end deal. Both of my buddies went to a Plymouth dealer. The one guy bought a 1969 RR. 383/ 4 spd and the other guy bought a 1970 Cuda, not sure what was in this. Well we decided to race and see who was the fastest, needless to say they both kicked my ***.I went to the Plymouth dealer and traded the Chevelle for 1969 Coronet RT Convertible. I have wavered back to Chevelles a couple of times, but have always came back to Mopar. Wish I never sold the RT, but had a lot of bills to pay.

When I was 15 I was working for a plumbing company and my dad said he will match my investment in my first car if he approved. I found a '71 340 Demon that appeared to be in decent shape. For whatever reason I loved that car (Orange, Black Stripes, Vinyl roof). Dad refused to match and told me that I didn't know how to repair the car and when something breaks it would just sit in his driveway leaking oil. After finishing grad school my first purchase with big boy job money was my current '71 Demon.

I would not call myself a Mopar Maniac but I really like the 1967 Barracuda Notch I am currently building. I get around a lot as part of my job and saw this little red car in my customers farm yard. Now I consider myself an enthusiast on all things automotive but I did not recognize what the little red car was, I had never seen one before. I asked Jim what the car was and he said it was a Barracuda. The only Barracudas I had ever seen were the fastbacks (including the hemi-under-glass). I did the slow walk around and looked at the odometer. Jim offered that the car was purchased new by his wife's aunt and they inherited the car on the aunt's death. It took me 6 months to convince Jim to sell me the car but I got it bought. I was building my Comet at the time and I drove the Barracuda back and forth to the shop I was working in. The day I finished the Comet, I pulled the Barracuda in and blew it apart to become the car I am currently building. I won't do another A-body but wouldn't mind doing an E-body. I think my next build will be a 1940 Ford pickup I have my eye on. Got a little wordy here, I apologize-----------------
Cheers----------DR-------------O:)

We wanted something other than GM and went to some nestolgic drags and watched the max wedges clean house. We couldn't find one for a fair price and we stumbled across the Dart and had to have it. We call it the Mini Max.:D

Attachments

• Bills65.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 99
  • 20151108_130811.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 111
Been around them all my life, my dad raced a 69 hemi RR for years. My brother still races and I have always loved them due to the fact that they are a lot less common than Fords or Chevys. I have 69 340 swinger and a 68 318. My first purchase was the 68 that in bought from my brother for $600 in 2003.

My first car in 1971 at age 16 was a 1969 Corronet R/T 440 4 spd. 410 dana Blue. My second car in 1973 was the same but Yellow and a Six Pack motor dealer installed.

my dad had a 69 dart gts with a 340 and 4 on the floor. he had a tunnel ram intake with 2 4 bbl carbs on it. then my mom got a 70 something dart swinger with the slant six. i always liked the older cars for their cool factor.

-
Back