What car got you into Mopars?

-
My mom she had a70 dart when I was little the mopar was the only way to get me to sleep mom would drive me around the block tell I passed out

First time I went to Island Dragway in NJ there was a wagon there, believe it was called the Teachers Pet or something like that. Had a Max Wedge with a crossram with a pushbutton in it. Just something about the car was like a magnet. The owner was one of the coolest guys I had ever met. Had always been a Ford guy up to that point. Refuse to give up the blue oval entirely, thanks to me 64 Fairlane 500 Sports Coupe......but it will be outnumbered in the garage, my wife has a 69 Valiant as well oas our Dart....
jerry stine is still around as is the car

My father had a 1954 Dodge Coronet Convertible, back in the 50's when I was a kid, and I loved it. My first new car was a 1968 Hemi Road Runner, but I had a few used Mopars before that, too. It was the coronet convertible that sold me on them, though.

I remember when I was 10 years old and saw the Fast and the Furious for the first time. For a movie that was filled with a bunch of imports the car that stuck to me the most was the 1970 Dodge Charger. I love that car and love seeing it recur in every F&F movie. Some day I'd like to own a '68-70 Charger. But ever since then I kind of stuck to it. I also remember when I was younger I saw the "Wrecked to Riches" episode where they redid a 69 Dodge Dart. That's what really got me hooked on Darts and why I have one today. :D

My first car I purchased and financed thru the local Dodge dealership was a 69 Dart GTS 340 4 speed. Gold with buckets and a console. She had a 3.23 open and I roasted the right rear off in less than a month. Those old E70 bias plys weren't much for traction. Of course this was in 1972. Man times were simper then.

Richard Petty, Ronnie Sox......and my good friend, my brother, and my buddy's parents, who all had RoadRunners in 1970. In 1971, at only 16, I bought my first car.....'69 GTX/440/4-speed/ Dana 60 w/21K on it.....sweeeeet!

Back around high school two friends and I had first gen camaro verts and there a kid with a stang. But there was one guy with a nova/duster that was really cool. Never really got a straight answer on what it really was and didn't know any better back then. It was part nova part duster. One other kid had a blue and white 440 charger rt or superbee? Liked riding around in that as much as driving my car. My cousin had a cuda that I really liked also. Had my camaro for many years then life and kids happened. Had to settle for some nice bikes over the years, till the kids grew up. Just recently was FINALLY able to afford that mopar I had always wanted. Now they will have to pry those mopar keys from my cold dead hands!!! :supz:

it was my dad he had a 68 orange with black vynal top and a hemi under the hood, mom had a 65, 66 dart. my first was a 68 road runner with a 383, second was a 69 dodge dart custom 225 slant six, third was a 69 newyorker 440, fourth was a 80 something newyorker 225 slant six, fifth 68 newyorker with a 383 i drove this for about 4 years then many jeeps and two 06 dodge rams

I watched a special on what must have been discovery or history channel when I was but a wee laddie. It was all about classic muscle cars and such, and they had a whole portion of it dedicated to talking about how dusters and darts made such great racing cars because they were so light. I was sold at that point.

In 1975 I was 16 and had just gotten my licence when my cousin came to visit with his 73 Dart Sport with a 340 in it. He let me take it for a drive and I was in love! I have loved Mopar's ever since. Up until then I wanted a Camaro!!

When I was 13, a good friends brother moved to town with a 71 Sassy Grass Green Road Runner, 440, auto , air grabber, bad *** car!

I was 5 years old when my big brother bought this 69 Super Bee, He would take me to the local track and I would watch him go down the track. I would get pissed off at him for not letting me sit beside him while he was racing. ( I'm still pissed off at him ;) . I've had a few Dodge's growing up, not wanting to be like all of the others driving a Chevy. I never found another 69 triple green Super Bee and still looking for one. When the Charger came out in 07 with a limited edition Super Bee, I thought it would be great to own one of my own. I recently posted in my facebook a Photoshoped image of both cars parked together. Here's his reply....

Almost had a stroke.LOL BRILLIANT, COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL.

Thanks big brother

Attachments

• med.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 181
  • 69-Super-bee--07-Super-Bee.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 190
The cops, lol

I got a 77 Gran Fury in the mid 80's for a winter beater since I thought if they are strong enough for the cops it must be a pretty good car-plus the price was right, like $500

I started using both my cars, that 1970 Cutlass and the Fury for bad winter days or if I was heading out to see some friends out in Detroit so I need not to worry about it.

Well I ended up destroying the Cutlass, lol and started to use the Fury all the time once I was driving again 3 months later.

The Fury was so tough and comfy and I could stay with the newer Mustangs at the time for a little while, since it had only the worn out 318 and weight over 2 tons, I knew that little 318 was a good engine.

I ended up selling it for scarp and got a nicer 78 Magnum

A high school buddy bought a '70 Challenger, 383 4-speed, in Fall of '71. Hemi orange in color, black interior. That got me hooked. He followed up with a red '70 Hemi Challenger, red interior, 727. It took me a few more years, but got my first '69 340 Swinger in summer of '75, paid $425. Hemi orange, bench seat, column shift auto, open rear.

My parents bought a new '67 New Yorker with a 440 back in the day. We took a road trip from LI to the Poconos and then on to Pittsburgh to visit relatives. I can still think of my old man raving about how much power the C-barge had going over the mountains in PA. He had a '48 Chrysler with a "western rear" while he was in the Navy in the early '50s and he really noticed the New Yorker's power in comparison.

While getting into cars myself while in high school in the very early 1970s, almost everybody else was into Chebbies, Ponchos, and Furds. My two brothers and I dared to be different. Our first cars were (used, of course): Me - '68 GTX 440 (still have it); Bro 1 - '70 Superbird 440+6 (still has it); Bro 2 - '70 'Cuda 440+6. One of my buddies had a '68 Superbee 440 (still has it).

It is interesting to note that, of the dozens of muscle cars that guys from my high school class of 1973 owned, the only three remaining are the three MoPars noted above.

To Many Dam Chevys at the Race Track

Curious, we all no doubt have different experiences that led us to the mopar fold. Usually, it is a family members car, or a friends that got us hooked.

For me, started as my parents '66 dart wagon that they drove all over the place and I became a huge fan of it's dependability even as a kid. Then, just before getting my license, a friend of my older brother took me for helluva ride in his 69 road runner...scared the crap out of me...loved every second of it. That cemented my loyalty to mopars. Two years later, I bought that road runner and still own it today. By my signature you can tell I bought a 66 wagon too.

What's your story?

Well I started my teenage years believing that the best looking car I had ever seen was a 67 Mustang fastback. (SOrry if you disagree they are still gorgeous cars). BUt at the ripe old age of 15 my cousin bought an all white 69 RoadRunner 383 mag 4 speed that had been worked over pretty well. One ride in that Runner and I couldn't even spell Mustang anymore.

It was 1964 and my cousin took me to Cayuga Dragway. It must have been a major event because all the pro teams were there. I watched the T/F , F/C , and Gasser classes qualify and then they rolled out the Super Stock Cars. There was S&M , Landy, Stiles, Vanke, and bunch more. There were the token Chevys and Fords but I was totally was awestruck with the SS/A and SS/B cars. Nedless to say it was an all Mopar SS semi's and Finals. Been hooked on Mopar ever since. Ive been driving and racing Mopars since 1966 and I just stopped this year. Now my son is carrying on the tradition (with my help of course).

sscuda
:glasses7:

In 1978 my friend bought a 1969 formula S 340 Barracuda fastback (it was mint little old lady traded it in for a new car ,a buddy was working cleaning cars at the chrysler dealership when it came in and he let my friend know ) Johnny let me drive it a week later I bought a 1969 notch back then another friend got a 340 demon and another friend got a 70 dart and another friend got a 64 cuda and another bought a brand new LiL' Red Express truck within a month the whole nieghbourhood was mopered up and we were all out cruising Carling Ave. in Ottawa, Ont. hunting Trash cans = Trans ams , Canries = cameros and fire chickens=firebirds
It was a lot fun cruising Carling and then heading to Britania park for beers. I have been running
mopar ever since.

I grew up in a GM Family & always thought I'd one day own a Chevelle or a GTO like the cars I grew up with. When I was 19, my father & I went to the Good Guys locally & I saw a beat up, in need of some love, 1975 Dart Swinger. It had a price tag of $2k and I begged my dad for it. He told me that for 2k i could buy a much better specimen & to keep my eye out (This was 1992).

Dad is long gone, but his words held true. I became a Mopar guy on that day, and in 2005 I traded a $500 1981 BMW 328i for a 1973 Dart Swinger 318. 'Nuff said.

-
Back