What car got you into Mopars?

-
Summer 87,last month of leaded premium in California.A yellow 70 R/T Challenger thumps in.A guy,in his late 30s gets out.Being a punk *** teenager,made a comment about the cam.Stated".484 purple" .Ended being a neighbor!Went out,one night to check the street digs.He swapped a Maxie, headed 12.5 to 1 440 in it! 11 seconds later,priorities changed!

Our 1971 Duster and my first car a 1969 Dart GTS both cars have 340's.

My Dad was into buying Dodges thru my teen years, then when I was 17 back in 71 I bought a 69 Road Runner. Had that for a short while then bought a 68 Road Runner. Got married when I was 19 got out of Muscle cars to raise a family and then the bug hit me again around 55.

My uncle Stan had a 69 340 swinger green with white stripe around the tail in 1975

A '41 Chevy got me into Mopars at age 14. It was my first car, and it was the most unreliable car on earth. Broken all the time. When it stranded me on a -30F night, I shot it with my rifle and parked it behind the hill...and then I shot it some more. Dad bought me a bulletproof '48 Plymouth, and I've been driving nothing but Mopars for 57 years.

Hahahaha...
At the risk of being labeled an really old fart,

A '66 Formula 'S' Barracuda.

Spent $2k on the Engine build in '68!! hehehe.

Smoked any and all 'comers' up to 80 mph,

(poor little Commando engine ran out of C.I.'s at that point).

Made a believer out of Me, I wish the tech was around back then
to capture the sound of that angry little throttle schizoid beast...

My dad was a salesman at our local Chrysler/Plymouth dealership. In 1975 (I was 16) they got in a 71 440 4 speed Roadrunner with the pistol grip shifter on a trade in and I fell in love with it but my dad wouldn't let me buy it. A week later he brought me down to the garage and showed me a pile of blue twisted steel that hardly looked like a car that once was the Roadrunner I had looked at the week before and said "That's why I didn't want you to get it" He wasn't too happy when about three weeks after that I came rumbling up the driveway with my first Mopar. A 1968 383 4 speed Sport Satillite that I bought off a friend!!!:burnout:

My Chevelle. If it was for that and hanging out with Mopar friends I wouldn't have gotten into Mopars.

I fell in love with the 66 Charger,69 Charger,68 Barracuda,and 69 Road Runner at my first Mopar show when I was 14 years old.When I was 15 I bought a 68 Coronet 440 2 door.

my cousin's '63 sport fury followed in close succesion by '69 roadrunner & '70 gtx. i was addicted by the time i was old enough to drive, 1970.

The 1965 Signet that I now have that my dad bought back in the early 90's, maybe even the late 80's. When I turned old enough to drive we bought a 64 Barracuda with no engine , but was really straight for $500 bucks. Built a little 318 for it, that is now in he Signet, and I drove it for most of my sophmore year of high school. Then the know it all teenager bug hit me, I decided I was going to resto it in the garage myself. BAD IDEA, I ened up running out of the 350 bucks right after I stripped it all down to metal and primer spots... Sad now that i look back on it. Now that I'm expecting my first kid, a BOY thank god, I've got the itch to get the Signet back in my garage and get her back on the road, Not worrying about body work or paint since it's all daily driver quality, except maybe some rust in the rear lower quarters. Much to mommas dismay, I'm going to try my *** off to make make is first word MoPar, lol.
Being that I'm a "Bigger" fella and going to be working on a tight A-body, i'll need little hands and arms to get in those tight spaces we all know and love to hate.
I've been thru my camaros and GM trucks, they've never held my heart like the MoPars have and will.

My uncle had a 55 Coronet, my cousin had a 64 Dodge, and my sister was driving a 64 Belvedere. I had turned 16 and needed a car to drive to school. The guy we hired to paint our barn had a Dodge Dart for sale and he would take my 100cc Yamaha twin in on trade. I was into cars but didn't really know much. The Dart was a 65 270 2 door post car with a V-8 and a 3 on the tree. The engine had a chrome air cleaner covering the 4 barrell carb and wrinkle finish valve covers. I didn't know what I had until a few years back when I decided to get back into Mopars and found my Dart that I own now. My old 65 was one of 7 built with a HP 273 and a 3 speed trans. The car lasted me a couple years until a guy ran a stop sign and clobbered the front end up for me. I retired the car to the bone yard after keeping the intake, carb, valve covers, and the dual point. I had to have wheels again and found a 69 Road Runner for Mopar #2. tmm

All my friends drove Bowties, and always under the hood working on them. All except one buddy who at the time talked his mom into buying a super grocery getter 1972 340 Duster lol. Fast forward and to this day I still have the car.

Attachments

• Duster Engine at shop.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 209
Owned a 67 Valiant a while back because I liked older cars and an old lady sold it to me for nothing. Meant nothing that it was a mopar. Then I married my wife who's father was a Chrysler Engineer for many years, he has a 69 cuda and man what a car. Then he started to tell me all the things Chrysler did to be different and I was hooked. Now I'm working on my 65 Dart vert which I can hopefully take for a spin before winter sets in.

My roommate's girl friend.....

he knocked her up...and had to sell AAR so he could marry her....

parents friend, bought a 71 challenger 440 six pak of the dealer showroom. plum crazy. put slicks on it. took it the track the next day. not sure if that was the correct year.. but hey.. i was just a kid i remember the thumping of the car as it idled..

Dad bought this car in 1977, drove it for a few years and parked it after a spun bearing. Fast forward to summer of 1999, I talked Dad into finally fixing her up after all these years. He agreed that when he retired in a few years, we would restore it together. Fall of 1999, Dad was diagnosed with small-cell lung cancer and was gone by winter 2000. The following spring, I started the tear down process and brought her back to life over a five year span, working spring through fall. Everything you see here is my first attempt at everything. First engine build, first transmission build, first crack at body work and metal fabrication, first paint job and first upholstery install. I don't have digital pics of the car as it sat, but I do have some during the resto. I was six years old the first time I rode in this car, and thirty-six the first time I drove it.

Attachments

• front shot.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 204
  • rear shot.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 194
  • front.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 187
  • engine.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 189
  • lh side interior shot sm.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 198
  • running body shell sm.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 194
1968 340 barracuda notchback.....helping my dad and brother rebuild it been hooked ever since. Now have my own mopars, 71 challenger (95% done) and a 69 valiant (work in progress)

I would have to day the chargers satellites and wing cars in Winston cup from the early seventies. At 14 the first car I drove was a '69 charger. First car I owned was a '72 challenger.

Dad bought this car in 1977, drove it for a few years and parked it after a spun bearing. Fast forward to summer of 1999, I talked Dad into finally fixing her up after all these years. He agreed that when he retired in a few years, we would restore it together. Fall of 1999, Dad was diagnosed with small-cell lung cancer and was gone by winter 2000. The following spring, I started the tear down process and brought her back to life over a five year span, working spring through fall. Everything you see here is my first attempt at everything. First engine build, first transmission build, first crack at body work and metal fabrication, first paint job and first upholstery install. I don't have digital pics of the car as it sat, but I do have some during the resto. I was six years old the first time I rode in this car, and thirty-six the first time I drove it.

The car looks beautiful, your dad would be very proud, nice job and glad you can re-live those memories with the car :glasses7:

A 69 340 4 speed Dart that someone in my town won at a charity event. Car was absolutely beautiful.

-
Back