What car got you into Mopars?

-
While station at Lowery AFB, in Denver going to tech school my roommate...yeah..only 2 to a room...got his GF back home in Georgia pregnant....said he had to sell his car...showed me pictures of the car...said it was a 70 340 Cuda..with a funny strobe stripe on it...

Called home to get money out of my saving...we flew...took a bus...to get to Roberta, GA..on a friday night....left saturday afternoon for Denver...got there sunday night...

bought the 70 AARCuda on July 11, 1973..for $2000.00 bucks.....good investment.

picture taken in Jan 1974 in Santa Monica, Ca.... Cloverfield Blvd....

Attachments

• 70aarcuda.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 525
In '69 my friends parents bought a '69 Roadrunner,my older brother had a '68 Roadrunner and his buddy...(later my best friend) had a '69 Roadrunner. I was 14 and used to wash and wax those cars all day(longer if they let me) just to get a ride. In '71 when I turned 16 I almost bought a 396 Shoveall(Chevelle)...but at the last minute my older brother showed up and talked my Dad into lettin' me buy a '69 GTX ...440/4speed/3.54 Dana..I was hooked...although my Dad wanted me to leave it "stock"....within weeks I had installed Hi-jackers,Anson Sprint wheels,and cranked the torsion bars up...first winter(still 16 and working as a carryout)...2" headers,milled heads,Lunati cam,4:11gears,Eldelbrock intake,Holley 800 doublepumper,Accell wires ...Man,... all my buddies with their Chevy's got their doors blown off...including the guy that had the 396 Chevelle...I wupped em all...and I haven't grown up yet!

...bought the 70 AARCuda on July 11, 1973..for $2000.00 bucks.....good investment.

I'd say that was a great investment!!!
A friend of mine sold his all-original AAR 'Cuda in the mid-90s for $1500. The only time I knew it had been up for sale was when he told me he sold it. He bought it brand new when he came home from Viet Nam - it had sat in his garage for probably 10 years.
All I could say was he should have researched its value just a little bit. I did forgive him for not telling me it was for sale - but it took awhile.

The first Mopar in our family that I remember was the '59 Plymouth Fury 2-door my mom bought a couple of years after my dad died. We'd had Hudson Hornets for as far back as I could remember, so the change from a cream and baby blue Hudson Hornet 4-door to a bright coral and white Fury 2-door was a huge change for a 10-year old kid!
But the car that really got me into Mopars was the '69 Dart 340 Swinger I bought used in November 1969 from a guy that joined the Navy. I got that car to run a Pure Stock 14.28, 98+mph quartermile at OCIR with an open 3.23 rearend. I was hooked.
In about '82 I stupidly decided to cut it to build to run NHRA Super Street. Dropped a bunch of money into it, then got divorced. Kept the house, both kids, and the car; but being a single-parent didn't leave any money to finish the car so it sat in the garage gathering dust until I sold it in the early '90s to help out with a family money crisis.
I continued to miss that car for years. About 4 years ago I found a sweet deal on eBay for an unfinished-build '69 Dart with a 380hp 360 crate motor/727/8.75 drivetrain combo. Hope to finally have it finished in 2011.

I never really looked for a car. I always bought whatever came up. In 2001, I had a '78 ElCamino which was my daily, and a '70 Malibu (bought from AdamR) which was a "project" that never was finished. At that time, I liked driving more than tinkering. When a '67 Dart 170 post came up for sale, running, driving and registered with decent fresh paint, I had to buy it. I knew a previous owner, and he had been using it daily. It was a great daily driver, and I sold the other two shortly after.

First time I went to Island Dragway in NJ there was a wagon there, believe it was called the Teachers Pet or something like that. Had a Max Wedge with a crossram with a pushbutton in it. Just something about the car was like a magnet. The owner was one of the coolest guys I had ever met. Had always been a Ford guy up to that point. Refuse to give up the blue oval entirely, thanks to me 64 Fairlane 500 Sports Coupe......but it will be outnumbered in the garage, my wife has a 69 Valiant as well oas our Dart....
This one?

Attachments

• petgators.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 461
I remember the K&K Daytona was my favorite car when I was 6.

Fast forward to high school. My best friend totaled his mom's brand X and ended up buying a 69 Super Bee as a replacement. The Bee was alpine white, 383, auto on the tree, ramcharger hood, and no Bee stripe. Except for the dual hood scoops, it looked like grandma's car.

A few months later, I went with a buddy while he test drived a 71 Cuda, 340, four speed. It leaked like a sieve from the rear main seal. I drove it, it was awesome! I called the seller and told him I would buy it if my friend decided not to. My friend didn't buy it, the next day it was mine. The cuda was a two tone car, gold with a bronze top. There doesn't seem to be a week that goes by that I don't wish I had it back.

My best freind and I drove the crap out our mopars during high school and college. The Bee ended up getting t-boned and then parted out. My cuda had some what seemed like major rust issues (front frame rails bad) and I parted it out as well. Funny thing, the car was really nice compared to a lot of projects I see today.

I have a 69 383-S fastback that I have owned for over 20 years now. For the last 20 years, the car has had a 440 six pack. Thankfully, the Formula-S is extremely solid.

These 5 cars had the biggest impact on my intro to Mopars...:love7:

1. Dads 66 Barracuda that he has owned sine 1976
2. 71 Cuda from Phantasm 2
3. Christine
4. Dukes of Hazzard
5. My first car which I still own, 74 Satellite Sebring Plus

Attachments

• Picture 824.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 465
  • m088.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 503
  • m.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 537
  • mdukeseps8368gy.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 428
  • Satellite 003.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 467
Well when I was 9 or 10 yrs old, Me and my best friend Todd (who I still speak to to this day) use to hang out together and there was an overgrown lot near my house and in that lot were a 63 New Yorker and an old Austin Martin. Well I was the one who got to "drive" the New Yorker and loved the car. We just pretended to be driving these cars as they were abandoned in that field but it was a blast! I loved the styling of the Mopars and I was hooked from that point on.

its funny really, growing up i never new anything but Toyotas and Handas, thats all my parents owned (given i was born in 92). Always liked classic style cars since i was about 14, and when i was 16, i looked for something old and classic. originally wanted a corvette, i still do, but i never really knew any mopars except for the 70-74 cudas, and the dukes of hazzard charger. when i was 17, i saw a 65 pink barracuda on craigslist, i went by and looked at it, in the pictures i didnt like it that much and one of my parents friends acctually showed me a real beat up 70s coronet. i liked the coronet a lot but i didnt have any experience on fixing cars up and i definitely would not have been able to do anything with that, it ran and i think it may have had a 440 in it, but there were too many trouble spots. given, i should have at least asked what the price was. a couple days after that i went to go look at the barracuda. it wasnt in that bad of shape, and the guy had had the car sitting in his garage for about 20 years. it was suppose to be his sons, but he didnt like the pink and he ended up buying his sone a 86 corvette, which at the time was in the garage not running because of some computer problem. after about a week of letting it sit, i decided to buy it, and every day i continue to grow and love the car. and the more im on here the more i love mopars. its kinda funny because my grandpa use to work as a Pontiac factory back in the day, but he never shot down the idea of owning a mopar, but he did love me bringing back memories about these old cars and he shared a good number of them.

Mopars run in my family. My grandfather always had huge Chryslers. He also had a 64 Dart station wagon with the rear window crank on the outside.

Of course, my father drove Mopars as well. He bought this 68 Charger brand new. The picture was taken when we lived in St. Augustine FL in 1969.
68Charger.jpg

Of course, my first car was a 68 Dodge Dart 4 door that I bought in 1984 for $500. I drove it for 5 years.

My first car in 1989 was a 1972 Plymouth Satellite.
318 2bbl 75K all original grandpa's car.

Traded up to a 1971 Road Runner 383 in 1992. It was Tor Red with the black & orange interior. Sold it in 1995. :bootysha: (Still kicking myself for that)

I got back into classic cars in 2006 when I bought the 69 340 swinger.

Allways like Mopars. They are just different. You don't see many around and when you do it always makes me smile.

Coming from the hospital when I was born, in a `68 GTS 340/auto. 8) Went down hill from there!!:laughing:

Lets see in 1975 a guy use to let me and one of my friends drive his 69 Barracuda 340 4spd fastback around the gas pumps at the gas station he worked at I was 14yrs old at the time. I loved that car and in 1976 he sold it to another guy I knew...This fellas mother bought him this car for his graduation present and in 6 months he had wrecked it and blew up the 340. Then it sat in this guys mothers back yard till 1982 when he bought a home and he moved it and put it inside. For almost 3 decades I tryed to buy this car and it finally paid off I brought it home a few years ago!

My first was a 74 dart /6 auto. I bought it when I was desperate, found out at 128000 miles it had never had an oil change yet it still ran great( except when the plugs fouled). I put new bearings and rings in it and ran the daylights out of it. Never been so impressed with an engines dependability

In high school (1971) my good friend , who is still my very close friend, bought a 1968 Dodge Coronet R/T with a 440-4 and a consol shifted 727. That car was just plain bitchin'. It looked, sounded and ran better than any of the Camaro's, Chevelles or Mustangs in the school parking lot. We won a lot of street races in that car and had tons of fun with it. That's when I vowed that the only muscle I'd ever own would be Mopar. He kept the car in pristine condition and kept it through the late '70's before selling it. It changed owners a couple of times and was last seen in the early '90's rotting in a field. It has since dissappeared. We talk about that car often and I always tell him that I see very few of them today. And thinking back, I never saw another one back in the day. Well now I know why. I read about 3 weeks ago that, according to Galen, only 26 1968 Dodge Coronet R/T's with a 440-4 were ever made! Needless to say, I sent the article to my buddy and it made him sick. :pale: Unfortunately, back then, we never realized that car was rare and would be collectable in the future. Too bad youth is wasted on the young! :cry:

67 Belvedere... great lookin' car, red black interior. Then he traded it in for a 69 Dart GTS 340 - 4 speed in black/black. Best lookin' car ever.
Grew up in a small town with a large full-line Chrysler dealer who sold tons of cars the people from other towns/cities. Lots of Road Runners/GTXs/Cudas/Challengers/Demons/Dusters ... around all the time.

When I was 13 I went to the new car show with my DAD and I won the 1st. prize. A new Duster jacket in Orange. Wore that thing out until my Mom threw it away. My Dad owned the local SuperTest gas station and I grew up on the pump island and in the pit. Cars/gas/oil are in my blood.

pete

vanishing-point-dodge-challenger.jpg

This is what got me into mopar, a little movie called Vanishing Point I saw when I was 13, never even gave ford or chevy a chance after seeing that movie.

One of the coolest cars ever, 1970 Dodge Challenger R/T

Back in Spring 1974 , my dad and I went to the local Dodge dealership so he could check out trucks .

On the showroom floor was a 1974 Dart Sport 360 Hang 10 .
Its display was quite ornate ; ceiling hanger , surfboard , cardboard cutouts ; doors , sunroof , trunk open ...

... and there it was , under that scooped hood ( dealer-added Direct Connection scoops like the '72 Demon 340 had ) was the wild looking motor !
Blue with an orange air cleaner !

All of that visual delight was too much for this artistic 4 year old to handle !
MUST HAVE IT !!

I begged my dad to buy that colourful monstrosity ; my begging fell upon deaf ears .

He was right ... a 2 door Muscle Car , with its thirsty 360 , was impractical and costly .

My family's car was a 1969 Dart Custom ( trim level , that is ) with a 273 , column-shift 904 , AM radio , a/c , power steering , ( shitty ) drum brakes , white with green interior .

My parents bought it from my paternal grandfather in 1971 , when my paternal grandmother gave up driving ( she was 75 at the time ) .

In the city I grew up in , was a 1970 Barracuda with the ultra-rare Mod Top / Mod Interior (!!) .
It was light green metallic , with the yellow top and interior Mod inserts .

As a kid , I had no idea what this wild looking car was ; I was just wondering about its floral-pattern top and seats .
I finally asked my mom : ' Why did someone put wallpaper on their car ? '

I haven't seen that car since c.1975
I think its owner was one of the gals whom worked at Hinshaw's ( a defunct dept store with 2 locations ) .

I had the privilege of growing up near Whittier Bl , and its world famous Bob's Big Boy drive-up .
I used to see so many crazy , loud and mean cars around ; the west part of town was Low Rider territory ( lots of sweet rides there , too ! ) , and the east part was where Bob's was .

One of the regular cars at the boulevard scene was a retired LASO ( Los Angeles County Sheriff's Office ) 426 Max Wedge Dodge 2 door .
When it went to auction ( c.1968 ) , one of the local Dodge dealer's kids got it , as that dealership handled the fleet accounts of Whittier P.D. and the La Mirada Sheriff's station .
He ran it for a few years , eventually selling it in 1972 to a guy whom still has it !

My uncle got to drive that special-built pursuit vehicle when he was on patrol on the Imperial Highway Sector ; and the car eventually ended up at the East L.A. station in order to chase people whom would get-on the incomplete Long Beach Freeway ( then , CA 15 ; later CA 7 ; now I-710 ) and try to flee town ( lol ) .

My MoPar influence comes from many sources as you can see .

While I prefer Chrysler products ( vintage , that is ) , I still truly like everything ; all makes and models .

learned how to drive when i was 12 in a plymouth satellite with three on the tree...

my 3rd car was a 66 plymoth fury with a poly in it. miss that old lead sled.

I loved that Charger in 'Dirty Mary Crazy Larry'!

Me Too !!!

Here's one of my first cars bought at 16 years old working for minimum wage @ $3.65/hr saved for about six months and paid $850.00 in 1984.

WAY WAY Too much FUN... than any sixteen year old should be allowed to have !!!

I Ran from the Palos Heights cops one night and ended up evading them on a road called of all things..... roller coaster road .
The first two hills were pretty mild so I figured I'd put the hammer down and hit the third hill doin a hundred + (I didn't know the third hill looked like one of the hills in the movie Bullit)
Well I probably got that car a foot off the ground for at least a hundred feet .
In case your wondering why would I think the car was airborn ?
When the car hit the top of the third hill I was launched out of my seat and the back of my neck got pressed flat against the headliner so now I'm looking down at the floorboards and all my empty McDonalds bags and cups were hoverin' and levitating all around me and I'm like.....Awww Shiiiittt !!!
Then I came in for a landing at the bottom of the hill and got squished back into the seat kinda like an elevator feels like when it comes to a stop on the bottom floor (only wayyy harder).
Needless to say I probably drove about 20 M.P.H. the rest of the way home. I think I left my stomach somewhere on the top of that hill ?

One of many "Good Times" in that FINE piece of MOPAR Machinery !!!

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 443
-
Back