What carbide burs to get?

-

glockr

Reaction score
I want to learn to do basic cleanup on my own cylinder heads and intakes. Nothing fancy, just basic port matching and general bowl cleanup, etc. Maybe some mild valve guide work but since I don't have a flow bench I don't think I'll be able to do much beyond that without risk the risk of hurting more than helping. Anyway, I notice a few different styles of carbide burs - course and not so course helix cut, "high helix", and a diamond pattern, along with different shapes.

What would be a good starter set to port match an aluminum intake and make some improvements on a Slant 6 head?

Thanks.

Do you mean those six carbide burrs for $10 on Temu is not a good idea?

Edit: oops, my mistake. TEN carbide burrs for ten bucks. I'm sure the quality is terrific......
Don't do it. The pro's use some carbides. You can get in trouble fast using them for simple things like port matching and a little bowl blending.

Don't do it. The pro's use some carbines. You can get in trouble fast using them for simple things like port matching and a little bowl blending.
That was sarcasm. I should have included a smiley face. (I bought ONE burr cause I needed it a few weeks ago, from Ace. Cost around $12 I think. I'm sure that they are really good tools at $1 each.....)

Do you mean those six carbide burrs for $10 on Temu is not a good idea?

Edit: oops, my mistake. TEN carbide burrs for ten bucks. I'm sure the quality is terrific......
4A39F840-A1EF-4BD4-9EE6-4ABE4E352C05.png

Yea? NO! Run, don’t walk away from these. Fwiw I had to look up what you were talking about.

Metal cutters are the way to go in my book. Just gotta know how to use them. Cartridge rolls have their place too. The diamond pattern will plug up when cutting aluminum. Lube helps. I use water.
I hear those helix cutters are the cats meow.

Well, looks like I'm going with a 1/2" oval high helix cutter for intake manifold cleanup and 3/8" double cut for working over my Slant 6 head. Getting them from Killer Carbide Burs.

Well, looks like I'm going with a 1/2" oval high helix cutter for intake manifold cleanup and 3/8" double cut for working over my Slant 6 head. Getting them from Killer Carbide Burs.
You're gonna want more.

@Rat Bastid knows about some good burrs, but I agree to learn with something less aggressive first.

@Rat Bastid knows about some good burrs, but I agree to lear n with something less aggressive first.
Man, when everything is right, I feel like a human milling machine. Sure is hard on the body. Pretty easy to screw up too. And just to be clear, I'm not specifically talking about porting but metal fabrication in general. Real easy to screw up though, you are correct about that.

I want to learn to do basic cleanup on my own cylinder heads and intakes. Nothing fancy, just basic port matching and general bowl cleanup, etc. Maybe some mild valve guide work but since I don't have a flow bench I don't think I'll be able to do much beyond that without risk the risk of hurting more than helping. Anyway, I notice a few different styles of carbide burs - course and not so course helix cut, "high helix", and a diamond pattern, along with different shapes.

What would be a good starter set to port match an aluminum intake and make some improvements on a Slant 6 head?

Thanks.

See post 3. Buy once, cry once. His burrs are the best ever. There are none better.

I have stones carbide burrs and cartridge rolls. All with varying sizes and shapes of the head. A new sharp carbide burr can be a problem as they BITE IN. I like 1/4" shank carbides that are slightly used/dulled because they don't dig in and go on a rampage.

-
Back