what CFM would you use here

-

trudysduster

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am changing the carb on the Dart Sport. it has a 2Bbl. on it now. It is a 360/904 daily driver.It has a mild cam in it. It does not have enough *** for me. I am thinking of going with a 750CFM. It that too much or would you go with a 600CFM. I am thinking of using one of those 2BBL. - 4 BBL. adapters and slapping a 4bbl. on it. thanks,Bill

lol Bill. I had a buddy who used a 2 to 4 adapter on a smogger 2 barrel 383 with a 625 avs and he got serious bog when he put his foot in it. the same carb ran good on four barrel intakes. that's not to say it wont work on your 360, but that's the extent of my experience with them.
750s (1407eddys) seem to be rich out of the box , and with the adapter , it may end up being a mess unless you can lean it out. I know you hate holleys so I wont throw out the 4160 as an option LOL although I run one and I love the thing.

thanks Lance, I may have to put a 4 bbl. manifold on it. Have 2 of them but no time.

thanks Lance, I may have to put a 4 bbl. manifold on it. Have 2 of them but no time.
I just got a brand new 750 AFB and put it on my 440 and that puppy is rich. it runs good but it will make your eyes water lol

I use a 1406 625 on my basically stock 318 and it loves that carb

so this engine is bone stock, with a slightly hotter than stock cam? a 650 would probably do the job. I had several 318's with fairly moderate cams that really liked 750's...but again being that close to stock a 650 will probably be the better route for a daily driver.

as far as an adapter goes...you'll see alot more from a nice edelbrock performer or equiv. intake, and carb, than you will with just an adapter and carb. I would deff stay away from the adapter plate. I see some bogging and choking issues with that. You'd be trying to cram all this new CFM you spent money on in your new carb...down the same 2 bbl hole in the intake. not a good combo.

Find time to put on a "4bbl. manifold" and go with the "Thunder Series" AVS @ 650 cfm. You'll like it a good bit better than a AFB.

Bill, If you have to keep the stock manifold. i've used a few 500cfm Holley 2bbl's with adapters before on some brand "C" cars. Made a big difference over the Rochester 2GC, but when you consider the expense, waiting for a 600 & mild dual plane is way more cost effective.

A good tune up and new u-joints and axle bearing will help, a mild cam ?
Less is more for a clean burn sometimes... Check the distributor good and get some advance where it is needed....... I had a 383 2 barrel clean a few 4 barrel cars big and small block (Change the intake and get the potato out of the exhaust if you have one. JMO.

well I thank you guys for the info here. it looks like I am gonna have to take the time and put the 4bbl. intake on it with a new 4bbl. I just have never dealt with one of those adapters but it seems like I would have some of the same problems I have now. Probably go with a 600 of 650CFM carb. what is the difference between a AFB and AVS. which would suit me better on a dual plane intake. I think there is an Edelbrock RPM on one of the 340's I have.

avs is like an air-valve type of carb. A bit more forgiving on the street. It uses a spring loaded flap above the throttle plates and no boosters on the secondary side. afb uses counterweights and boosters. avs was used on stock mopars from 68 to 71. either one is good but the avs is slightly easier to tune. It's a very good carb(AVS) but never got the recognition because everyone thought it was an AFB. It is a very good carb. I'd just use a performer intake and the avs.

I took a holley 650 DP off of my 69 360 Dart and put on a new 600 Edelbrock. Lost some of the *** it had but the edelbrock runs nice and smooth and requires less messing with.

OK, I like Edelbrock. I have one on my 440 Duster and I have one on my 454 Chevy. They work fine. so I will try and go with the Thunder series AVS. I hope that will go good with the 340 I intend to build down the road. If not, it looks like jr. will be shelling out some more moolah. I asked him if he wanted to go with the 2bbl. or put the 4bbl. set up on there when I put this together and he said he wanted to stay with the 2bbl. I told him I would go with the 4bbl. I just love it when kids don't listen to Dad and they think they know it all. Those words " I should have listened to you Dad" sounds good sometimes. Especially on these old cars that they know nothing about. Oh well.................now to find one of these puppies. going to the want ads section first.Thanks guys.

OK, I like Edelbrock. I have one on my 440 Duster and I have one on my 454 Chevy. They work fine. so I will try and go with the Thunder series AVS. I hope that will go good with the 340 I intend to build down the road. If not, it looks like jr. will be shelling out some more moolah. I asked him if he wanted to go with the 2bbl. or put the 4bbl. set up on there when I put this together and he said he wanted to stay with the 2bbl. I told him I would go with the 4bbl. I just love it when kids don't listen to Dad and they think they know it all. Those words " I should have listened to you Dad" sounds good sometimes. Especially on these old cars that they know nothing about. Oh well.................now to find one of these puppies. going to the want ads section first.Thanks guys.

lol Bill , the irony of it is , most kids would want a 4 barrel and most dads would be telling him 2 barrel, way to go Dad ! that's tellin' him !:D kudos

Funny you should say that. I as I got older I realized, "The older I got the wiser I realized my father was."

i think E-berg wrote somewhere that original '68 340 carter carbs were only 480 cfm.
some of the early 440 / 375 horsepower engines were only 585 and the Ford 428 cobra jets were 625 but i could be wrong.
just food for thought

All good info. Me,limited to a 2 barrel,Holley 4412,500 cfm. Seen a stock one,with a healthy 360,win the local 660 ft. Sand drags.Stock early single plane manifold.Was fun to watch.

-
Back