What color primer under Plum Crazy

-

btceng

Reaction score
I just finished my engine bay with ss plum crazy from PPG. It looks a little light to me. What color primer should be used under the plum paint to get the proper finish shade?

I used grey under the hood. I may have needed another coat but it looks pretty light to me. I thought about black to give it the deeper purple tone. I'm about to do the dash and interior so I will experiment.

Or use another purple. Better yet, if you felt like it needed another coat then do it. Unless you clearcoated it already. If you haven't, then better spray another coat in that respray window. Check the specs on the can, or go online to find out the recoat window. Stuff today hides better than it did.

I guess that I should redefine "just" finished. I have already put the engine and wiring back in. It looks pretty good but just a little light compared to a couple of other examples that I have seen lately. I thought that someone may know what the factory had for primer under it. I did use grey epoxy and fill primer in the engine compartment. A darker grey would probably work better.

My car is a burnt orange/copper color (made it myself, ain't come up with a name for it yet though...). When I had to repaint it, I wanted it just a touch darker. Layed down a coat of black before starting on the orange, car turned out lighter... Still looks great, just went on to dumbfound me on how colors actually work. Guess I wasn't born to be a rocket surgeon.

My car is a burnt orange/copper color (made it myself, ain't come up with a name for it yet though...). When I had to repaint it, I wanted it just a touch darker. Layed down a coat of black before starting on the orange, car turned out lighter... Still looks great, just went on to dumbfound me on how colors actually work. Guess I wasn't born to be a rocket surgeon.

Interesting....

If the car still has some original paint on it, then look what color the primer is under that...

I went with Grey, its lightens the purple a little bit. If you go with black it will darken the purple. Depends on what look your after.

btceng, maybe a late response but I had an FC7 'Cuda brand new in 1971 and the primer was definitely grey. From memory I would describe it as medium grey. I also think some of the variation in hue for repaints of the plum crazy is the amount of metallic in the paint and how it's applied.

some painters tint the primer similar to the finish color.
hard to believe black primer would create a lighter finish?

Morning gentleman,

If you were to do a 2 tone paint job with plum crazy purple what would be the other colors? I haven't seen anything amazing so I'm thinking black.

Ppg uses G scales. Each paint mixed in ppg will give you the correct g scale. They go from 1-7 I do believe. You need to use the correct G scale for appropriate color match and hiding.

Last edited:
The factory primer depends on what assembly plant it came from. It could be gray, it could be black. I also wouldn't expect the factory to be consistent with the colors. Bottom of the barrel is likely going to end up looking diffentbtjan the top of the barrel. Lol

Another thing to remeber is some pigments may not be available anymore effecting the final color.

The exact color will depend on the paint manufacturer. Also, I am sure that even though the color name is the same, each year, and/or assembly plant would have a slightly different color, due to a multitude of factors. Best to find an original sample and have it professionally matched.

SPI told me to use white primer under Viper Red to make it pop .
It is true that the color of the prier can affect the look of the topcoat.
I noticed just this AM that PPG '69 B3 Blue, on the can it says the formular was redone back in like 2005. I wonder is the metallic part is also different than the first version!?

Or put a similsr shade coat over the primer b4 the base. Just make sure you have enough to do the entire car.

-
Back