What color was 63 Valiant Hood Emblem?

-

ann

Reaction score
On my 1963 Valiant V200...the hood emblem looks like it had some color on it originally. Does anyone know what color/s it was? Can't seem to find a close-up of the hood emblem in any sales brochures. Just finished painting my trunk handle, which was black with blue and red triangles. You can see faint residual outlines around the V. Maybe the hood emblem had blue and red triangles around the V? cheers, Ann

Attachments

• valianthoodemblem.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 290
Anne, I also have a '63. Unfortunately like youi I am still trying to learn about my car - lots to learn, eh? Regarding your question. I can't answer for sure HOWEVER, I saw one on Ebay that looked very original (I would have bid on it myself but the seller didn't ship to Australia) and it was black background with the word Valiant in either silver or a faded gold ( hard to tell which) and then it had the red and blue portions around the "V". So what you are assuming seems to be correct. Not a lot of '63 people even here on FABO, but someone with a bit more knowledge may be able to tell us for sure.
You mentioned the boot emblem (trunk) and said that you painted the black. Have you got the elongated emblem? My car has the round one like I have seen on a '64? Mine is a Signet is yours? Maybe the 100 and 200 and/or Signets could have been a little different?

My 63 is a 200 model. Gold letters on silver background. The color triangles behind the V are a lighter shade of gold than the actual letters. The elongated trunk handle is chrome, letters and background.

Here's another one from Ebay. Seems like front emblem should have some color?

Attachments

• 63Vemblem.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 290
this is supposed to be a 63 hood emblem

Attachments

• $(KGrHqEOKpIE24gPyk0rBN566Q0)mw~~0_3.JPG
    26 KB · Views: 277
Wow: as long as I have had mine it never appeared to have any color variation on the badge and I have never noticed the detail anywhere else like a car show or brocures [but never see many 63s at car shows anyway, even the Mopar shows at Woodley Park in Van Nuys]. It spent the first 18 years of it's life in AZ, so there's a reason, but it never even thought it would be anything but a black background on it anyway.
Thanks for that. I've painted my front and rear emblems on the grille and trunk before, and the Vs on the hub caps, but they have long since faded again. Never knew about this !

Thanks for the info! I agree the 64 (and probably the 63 signet) had all black on that front emblem, but does anyone have a factory pic of the 63 V200 hood emblem? There are obvious shadows on the "V," where the steering wheel and the trunk handle have blue and red. Hard to believe it is supposed to be all black. There was one '63 brochure that might show the V200 hood emblem (it is a beach scene), but I can't see it in high enough resolution. Maybe someone has an original brochure? I can see black, but can't tell if there was red/blue around the V. Cheers!

Yes, it is strange. Can you post pics of your brochure's emblem? Is it a 63 V200? I would hate to paint all black over it if there is some reason for the V shapes behind the "V." The V-shaped shadows are so close to the blue & red shapes on other pieces. Maybe they changed their mind during production? The two other emblem pics I posted were of 63 pieces I found for sale. Here is my actual piece. It is a very original 63 V200 car...hmmmm

Attachments

• IMG_1536.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_1537.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_1534.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 215
Ann:
I would have to get my son to post the pics. I am too old to handle anything but the basics with the computer. As soon as I can -- I'll have him post! The pics are very small and not too clear. I had trouble seeing them with the brochure right in front of me.

No problem! Thank you! As close as I can look at the images on the www, I would almost swear that I can see something different about the "V". Can't tell what it is, but it doesn't quite look solid black. On my side "Valiant" emblems, I can still see traces of black paint, and on the trunk handle i could see some black. But that hood emblem has me stymied!

Maybe I can help out. But it is an "export" model emblem 1963 V200. The V is back-grounded in red/grey color. See the pics:
008.jpg

011.jpg

What painsinner has posted seems to be an original emblem. Is it possible that over the years we just painted them black? Since the brochure seems to indicate black. I never thought that a simple hood emblem would have us all acting like Mr. Holmes or Messr. Poirot!

Yes, the emblem seems untouched. Only the colours faded a little bit. The above engraved MONTAGE SUISSE lettering has been added at the European assembly factory in Switzerland in 1963. My vehicles VIN-No. is: 1338 112 383.

OK, I googled videos of 63 Valiants. The US versions seem to have a chrome hood emblem as shown by painsinner; the Canadian ones seem to have a painted black emblem. I don't know when my son will be home to post pics. I will try to find some advertising and see what is revealed.

Went back and tried print ads. Found some actual cars and some ads with the reverse of my previous post. Was it possible that the Signet200, upper level, had a different emblem from the base models?

Mine is a 63 Signet, but as I mentioned, the coloring behind the letters was burned off years ago by the sun.
There's a Motor Trend from 63 that has the Valiant Signet convertible on the cover. I'll have to dig. And I have the original brochure. But remember: a lot of the photos in the brochures are sometimes using pre production cars and , as well, are subject to the air brush to make them look as appealing as possible, to remove reflections and stuff.

Quite the mystery.

Still with you Ann, I'm as keen to find out as you are.
Thanks to all the posters to this thread, it's all very interesting to us '63 Val crowd.
Let's try to keep it going - surely someone can come up with the right answer?

Painsinner that's a cool emblem! First time I've seen any red there! And it seems to be in the same place that red usually is.

-
Back