what could cause this?

-

flyboy1400

Reaction score
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kpCAVEcLLc"]YouTube - amp/volt meters[/ame]
As you can see the amp meter swings between pos and neg, and the volt meter also shows increase/decrease voltage. The problem is sporadic and varies, sometimes bad enough to cause the lights to dim when the amp meter swings neg, and voltage drops. what can cause this to happen?
Thanks!

I'm with abody, I would start a good visual inspection of all wiring and make sure you have a GOOD ground to the chassis. I have seen so many ground issues. It looks like the voltage is not being regulated properly if the gauges are good. Output from the alternator or the regulator. Good luck with your dilemma. I hate wiring issues:)

Thanks guys, I'll check out the grounds and regulator tomorrow. Hopefully its not the alternator, but i have a feeling its not long for the world...it started making a fairly loud chirping/squealing sound a few days ago (and its not the belt, its from inside the alternator). I dont think thats the cause of the fluctuations seen in the video though, as that has been going on for a while...

the system voltage regulator or the gauge voltage regulator are the only irregular pulse sources..

dont forget about the bulk head connection at the firewall they all had issues with that .....the plug end corrode turn green an make a poor connection ....inside the connector its self ..... a little dactylic grease an a through cleaning .. had them even melt the ends out of the block ... one burnt the harness from the headlights the the turn signal switch in the column .... back when that happen you could go the the bone yard an get you one ...not the case now

-
Back