What custom backspace would you order?

-

AR_Tech

Reaction score
I am thinking about ordering some wheels, 17x8 Rushforth Nigh Train, for my 71 dart that can have a custom backspace. I am in the process of converting my 8.75" rear end to LBP along with 11.75" LBP brakes on the front. I plan on running 245/45 all the way around. I was going to order a set of TSW Valencia with a 20mm offset-5.3 bs, but I am thinking of splurging and getting the Night Train wheels. I am thinking of ordering a 5.25" backspace. With the large bolt pattern moving the wheels mounting surface out .25" each side, I believe this would be the ideal backspace. The car currently has 235/60/14's on factory rally wheels with no rubbing issues. Which I believe are 5.5" wide and have 3.75" backspace. Any reason why the 5.25" back space wouldn't work?
Thanks

FWIW, I am pretty sure my police wheels have a 4 1/4" backspace. they are 7"wide. based off that I am thinking 4 3/4 backspace.

Even if your rear isn't in you could probably measure from the leaf spring perch to the mounting flange and get an idea of what room you have there.

Honestly I would probably go with a bit more spacing if anything. You can make up the room with a spacer then if you had to. You can't the other way around. I also personally wouldn't run more than a 1/2" spacer if I was to run one.

hope this helps :dontknow:

Post # 30
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=213678&page=2

Post #85
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=213678&page=2

If you want a lowered stance backspace on the front becomes critical. I think autoxcuda has it right with 5.6" backspace for a 17 x 8 rim. Note the comment about the upper ball joint. I think this depends on the specific wheel. Some 17s will clear. I did not have clearance trouble with the 18" combo I tested at the sway bar or at the front fender lip.

I purchased 18 x 7 with custom 5.125" backspace for the front. I have not done a test fit yet.

If you're not trying to go low you have more flexibility.

Too deep. the mustang rims that guys are running are 5.72" backspace and, at least on mine with the same size tire, required a minimum 3/4" spacer in the rear. 5.75 should be fine on the front.
4.75" would be just about right if you're using an A body 8.75 rear end.

Yeah, I was finally able to do some measuring. With the stock sbp axle it is 5.75" inches from the leaf spring to the mounting flange. So it should be 6" with LBP axle. With the original setup, 10" Hoosier Quick Time Pro on a 14" rim, I have 3/4" from the leaf spring and 0.875" to the fender. Looks like 4.5 backspace or maybe just a hair less would be ideal with an 8" rim in the rear. I just need to get the fronts figured out. Was wanting to be able to rotate the tires, but I might go deeper on the front to try to prevent contact with the fender.

Ordered some 17x8's with 5.5 backspace on the front and 4.5 backspace for the rear. It will take a few weeks for them to be built, but hopefully they turn out okay. This is going on the 73+ Disc Brakes on the front and factory a body 8.75 rear with axles from Dr. Diff.

Ordered some 17x8's with 5.5 backspace on the front and 4.5 backspace for the rear. It will take a few weeks for them to be built, but hopefully they turn out okay. This is going on the 73+ Disc Brakes on the front and factory a body 8.75 rear with axles from Dr. Diff.

i saw you post on my thread. i have a 8.25 rear in mine so i dont know the width difference but i think they are the same. 4.5" is perfect in the rear, you'll probably use a 1/4" spacer and be golden (at least on my car). as for the front i was thinking 5.25(same 73+ discs) let me know how the 5.5 works!

16x8 Cragar Wheels 4.5 BS
255/50-16 BFG Sport Comp 2 Tires

Attachments

• 100_5781.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 380
  • 100_5782.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 407

That will work front and rear.

Only thing you might run into is if you run a factory profile 67-72 wide front sway bar. Hellwig and Hotchkis front sway bar have room for larger backspace rims.

If you run into any rubbing in the front it will be the front bottom fender wheel lip. Decent chance you'll have to roll/fold that a little.

AutoX,
I am looking at buying either one of those two sway bars, so I can clear the tires.

805moparkid,
Thanks for answering my question. It will probably be 5 more weeks before I get my wheels, but I will let you know how it works out.

Well can't get 5.5" bs, max out at 4.75" will probably go with some 17x7 to prevent clearance problems.

-
Back