What did the A518 come in?

-

70DartMike

Too many projects
Reaction score
Just curious where you would find an A518 transmission?

Also, I have an overdrive transmission mated to a 318 from a mid 80's Chrysler 5th Ave, I am wondering if its a 904 with overdrive? Or if it is something else, how to determine what it is? I know the difference between a 904 and 727, but not up to date on my other transmissions.

I'm asking because the 904 in my 65 Valiant leaks where the cables enter it, and being its a daily driver with a 273 2 bbl, I'd like to get a bit better fuel mileage on the highway. I'm considering swapping in a transmission with overdrive.

The A518 has the same pan shape as the 727, probably the same pan all together. Want one? Coming to Lethbridge?! I have one that I have decided not to use. But it's a long trip from the Western Rock! :D

Are there any numbers on it identifying it as a 518?

Also, what years was it made?

I already did a trip to Kindersley Saskatchewan for a 727.. lol.

Just curious where you would find an A518 transmission?

Also, I have an overdrive transmission mated to a 318 from a mid 80's Chrysler 5th Ave, I am wondering if its a 904 with overdrive? Or if it is something else, how to determine what it is? I know the difference between a 904 and 727, but not up to date on my other transmissions.

I'm asking because the 904 in my 65 Valiant leaks where the cables enter it, and being its a daily driver with a 273 2 bbl, I'd like to get a bit better fuel mileage on the highway. I'm considering swapping in a transmission with overdrive.

The 5th Avenue trans is more than likely a lockup 904, aka the A999

The 518 was used in Dakotas and Rams in the 1990s, make sure you get an RH and not an RE, I believe the way to identify a 518/500 from a 727/904 is the overdrive unit makes the transmission longer, somebody else can correct me if I'm wrong there. The 518 shares it's pan gasket with the 727 and the 500 does the same with the 904, I personally love the A500 behind the 360 in my Mopar Express Dakota, makes it purr down the highway with the 3.90's in the rear. Both the A500 and A518 have a 0.69:1 overdrive but the first two gears and reverse are different between the two.

The 518's gears are: 1 - 2.45:1, 2 - 1.45:1, 3 - 1.00:1, OD - 0.69:1, REV - 2.35:1

The 500's gears are: 1 - 2.74:1, 2 - 1.54:1, 3 - 1.00:1, OD - 0.69:1, REV - 2.21:1

Just make sure that you get an RH (as in 42RH or 46RH, 42 being the A500 and 46 being the 518) as the RE uses electronic governors (if i recall correctly the TCMs for the RE's learned how the driver drove the car as to adjust the kickdown and shift points, but that may be it's successor)

Thanks for the info.

Is the A999 an overdrive?

no, the 999 is just a 904 with a lockup torque converter, which will drop RPMs slightly but maybe only half or so the drop that an overdrive would give you. I have one in my 1987 Dakota that's getting swapped out for an A500

.............I may be interested in that trans if mike isnt...........is it a 3 wire plug...........kim.....

Yes I beleive so. I am pretty sure I got that part right! If you look in the link you can see the plug. You helped me identify it back then!

That OD will not fit your tunnel, youll have to cut it OUT and reform the trans crossmember for the added girth of the 500/518 right where a stick shifter would be. Worth it? probably easier to go with an OD manual or even a ford AOD, they are OD and short/small.

That OD will not fit your tunnel, youll have to cut it OUT and reform the trans crossmember for the added girth of the 500/518 right where a stick shifter would be. Worth it? probably easier to go with an OD manual or even a ford AOD, they are OD and short/small.

Which Ford transmission, and what did it come in? Give me the years and models it came in. Is it a direct bolt on?

-
Back