What did the factory use?

-

yooper822

Joe Roberts
Reaction score
I have been using a product called safest rust remover on the suspension parts. Basically I wire wheel 30 layers of crud, rust and such off the controls arms and stuff....wash them with soapy water , rinse then dump them in a bucket with the product and a submersible pump and let it go. it is bio friendly, doesnt attack paint or rubber just rust.......

So here is my question, why am I pulling shiny, metal, completely rust free arms out of the bucket (Not that I'm complaining mind you)

What did the factory finish on these pieces consist of?

Not positive but I think some suspension parts were just coated with cosmoline (waxy greasy stuff?)

HMMMMM, Interesting.

Ok, what is a good durable paint or coating for control arms and suspension parts

The factory typically did not paint the control arms. If you wanted to coat them, I'd think powder coating them would be best. If that's too pricey, recommend a good marine grade epoxy paint. Choose your color.

Powder coating is pricey, in the long run it pits from road dirt. I've had my jeep front bumper done twice in the last 5 years.

Epoxy will probably be the way I go, at least a good coat of epoxy primer followed by a satin black?
Joe

That will work. I did mine is semi-gloss black which isn't very different. Everything looks like it belongs there. Take care to keep off of bushings and adjusters.

I`ve read the same thing as 340swing, the arms were just coated with a rust preventative. You can clear coat them using a dull finish.

I've been doing my suspension pieces with the new chassis black POR-15. Great stuff, self leveling, and not UV sensitive.

I've been doing my suspension pieces with the new chassis black POR-15. Great stuff, self leveling, and not UV sensitive.
Offroad guys SWEAR by that stuff, it'll paint anything and take lots of abuse. Don't get it on your skin though, it doesn't wash off... you have to let it wear off.

cosmoline on the lower control arms only.

Oct1405_4.jpg

I have a can of that unopened, want to make sure I have enough to do as shelf life isnt the greatest once opened even if care to seal it like POR15 says is taken.

I have the reducer as well, could spray them? I kind of like the idea above to use the cast look stuff though. it certainly isnt going to be a perfect car but trying to not be stupid about it.
Joe

Yooper, powder coating isn't as expensive as people seem to think it is. I do upper control arms for around $25 and lowers for $40. I've had no customer complaints about pitting from road grime either ... IMO, if your bumper is pitting, the place who did the work didn't prep and/or cure it properly.

Yooper, powder coating isn't as expensive as people seem to think it is. I do upper control arms for around $25 and lowers for $40. I've had no customer complaints about pitting from road grime either ... IMO, if your bumper is pitting, the place who did the work didn't prep and/or cure it properly.
Who saw this coming? wrong site to diss PC

Ohhhhhh no, I'm not out to get anybody. My main concern is education ... there's no such thing as bad advertising, but there IS such a thing as misinformation -- and that's one thing I can do something about. I don't claim to be an expert at many things, but p/c is one of 'em. :-D

Well, its unfortunate, CC I'm not going to get a price like that here in Va Beach. He charged me 30.00 for a couple corner brackets the last time I was there each was no bigger than a tuna can and bare metal already. I'm pretty much over it, should move closer to you by the sounds of it. Its probably going to be paint!

I see you are in Tennessee, I used to live in Jackson and was a Navy Recruiter there. Huntingdon, Milan, Martin....all my area, probably drove by your place a 100 times a month "on the hunt" LOL
Joe

Well, its unfortunate, CC I'm not going to get a price like that here in Va Beach. He charged me 30.00 for a couple corner brackets the last time I was there each was no bigger than a tuna can and bare metal already. I'm pretty much over it, should move closer to you by the sounds of it. Its probably going to be paint!

I see you are in Tennessee, I used to live in Jackson and was a Navy Recruiter there. Huntingdon, Milan, Martin....all my area, probably drove by your place a 100 times a month "on the hunt" LOL
Joe

Well Joe, realizing that most of you wonderful FABOers don't live in my backyard and 9 out of 10 jobs I do are for one of you guys, I try to keep the prices low enough that you can all still afford to ship stuff here. LOL

I'm amazed you know where Jackson Tennessee is! That's only about 30 miles from here. My shop's right off of 45E so I'm sure you drove past it quite a bit. Small world!!!

By the sounds of his prices, that guy you hired to coat your other stuff is probably retired by now and getting ready to attend the next Barrett Jackson auction to get his wife that Hemi Charger she's been wanting.

Hey CC of PSC Is there a clearcoat powder ?
no stupid questions just stupid redfish LOL

I use Dupli color engine enamal Cast coat iron DE1651 and then shoot a shot of clear over it for a longer stay and it will develope rust over time BUT Cuda Chick has the real stuff for longevity. Yes she does clear and a good job of it too.

Thanks Bill!

But there's no such thing as a stupid Redfish either. LOL Yes, there's a clear powder but it's tricky to work with.

I'm amazed you know where Jackson Tennessee is! That's only about 30 miles from here. My shop's right off of 45E so I'm sure you drove past it quite a bit. Small world!!!

By the sounds of his prices, that guy you hired to coat your other stuff is probably retired by now and getting ready to attend the next Barrett Jackson auction to get his wife that Hemi Charger she's been wanting.

I liked the area, had a ski boat then and spend alot of time on the lake in Lexington!

The Guy I used to bring my stuff to was great in the begining. His business grew and he has alot of gov contracts now so I guess he doesnt need the little guy anymore. he so grossly over estimated price to a young couple I recommended to him, on a bumper and tire carrier for a jeep I went in there and had it out with him, when I saw he wasnt going to back down I put 50.00 on the couples bumper / carrier told him not to tell them I did that and havnt been back since. To bad I used to hand his cards out like candy when he treated us good!

And actually while we are talking he does have a green charger....LOL, do you know him?

I have to wonder about shipping to you.....it may be worth shipping to you, I'll check out the cost and possibly get back in touch when I get everything stripped.
Joe

Hey Joe, don't know how I missed your reply to this a few days ago -- sorry. After your bad experience with customer service, the last thing you need from me is to drop the ball right in the middle of a conversation. LOL

I still laugh at your first post referencing the 30 layers of crud. I deal with that on a daily basis it seems. :-D

No, I don't know the guy with the green Charger. There's only one other Mopar around here and it's a blue Challenger 40 miles away.

The shipping prices have really come down a lot in the last couple of weeks (I guess since gas prices went down). I'd love for an opportunity to earn your business, so if you have any questions or want to see some color samples while you're getting everything torn down, just give me a call. Best of luck with the project!

-
Back