What Did You Get To Do Growing Up That Your Kids Will Never Be Able To?

-
Skip school... Take trolley downtown... Hang out at newsstand... Playing pinball... Getting beat with a hot wheels track or the big wooden spoon when you get home... Getting internal suspension at school... Repeat next Monday..............

:burnout:

buy a gallon of gas for the lawn mower and get change back from a dollar. I still remember like it was yesterday the old man telling me wait a minute kid, don't you want your change. GAS will never cost that much.

Along with all else that's been mentioned......

*Disappear from nearly sun-up to sun-down during summertime.
*Climb up on our back fence and walk down it, and jump into anyone's yard without worrying about getting blown away.
*Shoot off my friend's grandfather's gun collection on New Year's Eve (and we shot at streetlights from a distance, if you can believe how anyone could be so idiotic)
*Buying cigarettes with just a note from my dad.
*Our favorite: entering abandoned and boarded-up buildings just to check them out!.....mostly old businesses.
*Growing a "secret garden" in our family's backyard. :)
*Stealing alcohol from mine and my friend's parents liquor cabinets.
*Destroying things on a massive scale.
*Playing with fire and gasoline and rocket engines.
*Taking off on my dirtbike, alone.....never told parents anything....and off on a 30-mile bike ride with no helmet or cellphone.

Hey Cannucky mixing the right ratios of said ingredient,filling up a used CO2 container wrapped with tape will lift a small car 3' off the ground. Good luck trying that now.

I'm with you Cudavert, At the age of 8 maybe 10 in the summer we would leave the house in the morning and come home just before dark.Spent the days in the woods building treehouses and forts out of logs, rocks and dirt.

Hey Cannucky mixing the right ratios of said ingredient,filling up a used CO2 container wrapped with tape will lift a small car 3' off the ground. Good luck trying that now.
I again refuse top comment on what you can do with the right ratios of said mixture but I can say I always got A's in Science , there's some interesting things you can do with Phosphorus and or Magnesium as well :headbang:

My Brother & I would leave the house at 8:00AM & wouldn't return home until Supper.
No cell phones to keep track of anything.
We would ride our bikes over to the bigger town than ours.
Take our saved up money to buy Model Car kits.
Alot of times, we spent time climbing the Moutain side of the hill across the road of our house.
Somehow, we always knew what time to be home for supper.
Nothing like getting to the top of that big hill & looking down on the valley while the train was coming through.
So peacefull.
I sure do miss simpler times.

A couple others I thought of, Woolworth's counter for lunch or a snack. Also who remembers going to a tropical fish store, it was kind of dark in there so you could see the fish...I don't think there are too many of those places anymore.

Going thru the Sears catalog to see what you wanted for Christmas...

A couple others I thought of, Woolworth's counter for lunch or a snack. Also who remembers going to a tropical fish store, it was kind of dark in there so you could see the fish...I don't think there are too many of those places anymore.

Going thru the Sears catalog to see what you wanted for Christmas...

Yes!! All those! And out here in CA, we had Thrify Drug Store 10-cent ice cream cones!.....and I'm talking back in the 80's. Another place I used to love to go......the joke shop!

In the summer getting on my minibike and leaving for the day, would catch up with a friend who lived about 2 miles away, ride the minibikes to one of our fishing spots and spend the day fishing, either be at his house or mine by supper.
Staying home sick from school all by ourselves while the parents went to work, parents couldn't take off work just because one of us kids were sick. When my little brother was four or five he was staying home alone during the day, lived out in the middle of nowhere and mom's office was right across the highway, she taught him how to dial the number for the office, had a small pitcher with milk he could pour and would have cereal down for him.

Goldfish, you hit it on the head, I remember in the late 60's you could even get baby alligators at Woolworth's!
I remember drag racing my best friend on our sting-ray style bikes (not genuine Schwinns) behind the shopping center that Woolworth's was in, and him not being able to slow down before blasting out into the main drag of town (a four lane road) and NOT getting hit!We must have hit almost 30mph...Mine a 3 speed, his a 5 speed...
Building model cars, not intentionally sniffing glue, but getting to a point where I had to stop, because I was too huffed up and had to get fresh air...
Yes, I said that!

spending all day Sat working on the car so you could make it to cruise around the local "eat n park" (Bob's big boy) with all the hot new cars in the late 60's bumper to bumper challenging each other to races or picking up girls who would be walking around or driving their own hot car!!!

I again refuse top comment on what you can do with the right ratios of said mixture but I can say I always got A's in Science , there's some interesting things you can do with Phosphorus and or Magnesium as well :headbang:

Like this???[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=717vb7kLKKk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=717vb7kLKKk[/ame]

-
Back