What do I need!

-

la2alle

Bad Fish 65
Reaction score
I've ordered a new tank for my 65 Barracuda /273. Now I need to order the sending unit....is it 3/8 or 5/16... does it have a return?

Thanx in advance.:banghead:

Stock sender is 5/16. Do not forget the grounding strap for the sender that goes from sender to main fuel feed line for the gas gauge to work, bypasses the rubber line at tank.

You can get the 3/8" sender and upgrade your fuel line later! Going to use new hose between the 2 anyway, might want to plan ahead, just in case!

Beat me to it! Yep, 5/16" and no return. The ground strap is a must. I also ordered a new strap and ended up getting a line kit too. Best thing I ever did for my car. tmm

I would get a sender with the return.

My reasoning: Today's fuel has ethanol, this will aid in vapor lock.

You can use a fuel filter from a 80's mopar that has the third nipple. Placing the nipple up and adding a return line back to the tank will help fight vapor lock. Doing this is cheep insurance.

I enjoy driving my old cars, but when they become unreliable and its a hassle to correct the problem, I just don't drive them.

If you don't want to install the return line right away, just plug the hole with a removable cap.

Convx4,

where would you place the fuel filter in this situation, same place as the old one after the fuel pump to the carb?

If you ever plan EFI, best to get a sender w/ 3/8" outlet and a vent tube. About same price ($45 ebay). I use the 1/4" vent for return, but the pressure drop is a bit too high (~10 psi) so will flare the tube next time I have it out. Regardless, use later EFI fuel hose everywhere. The old low-pressure stuff is know for softening and collapsing from ethanol.

-
Back