What do you all think of this trade??

-

cosgig

MoBro Inc.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Howdy all, I have been approached about a trade for the 1966 Valiant Signet convertible I am trying to sell, and I'd like to know what you all think. Heres the details...

A while ago I posted a WIW thread about a 1965 413 dual quad motor a friend of mine was looking to sell. This motor has been completely rebuilt and comes with a host of extra parts like an extra large sump Milodon oil pan, Hooker big block headers and such. The motor has Carter Competition series carbs on a dual quad intake, roller rocker valvetrain, .030 over pistions, 3 angle valve job with stock sized valves and hardened seats, polished crank, but otherwise a near stock rebuild inside. We sort of agreed on a price of $1100.00.

The 1966 Valiant... 273 rebuilt in 2004, auto trans, PS and power drum brakes, runs and drives nice, has had a lot of work done to it over the years but is still a fun car to just drop the top and cruise around in. Needs a top, but otherwise is in daily driver condition. This car has been offered up in the $1500.00 range.

My intention for getting the motor is simply to sell it and try to recoup the $$$ I have in the 66, since I haven't had any takers and really need to start moving a couple of these cars. I would probably remove the dual quad setup and Milodon oil pan thats on it, replace them with a single 4 bbl and stock oil pan, paint the motor and sell it as is, and sell the extra parts seperately. Included are a couple pics of each subject for reference. Any opinion is welcomed!!! Thanks all, Geof

Attachments

• 100_2966.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 352
  • 100_2967.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 347
  • 100_3109.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 355
JMO, First I think 1.500 is a low low price on your V8 Valiant convertible
This site is so big I did not know you had it up for sale :bounce:
The 1965 413 Wedge all new would cost twice that on parts and prep alone I believe :-s
I will see if I can find your sale thread on that cool 66 plymouth, hard to believe someone has not snagged it up for $1.500.:blob:
I see $500 recoup on the intake and carbs alone if know more:hello2: Just an Arkansas man's opinion this morning

Hey Geof, I cant believe you still have that car!! I meant to tell my mom about it as she loves those little cars!

I agree with Memike, I can't beleive that car hasn't sold at $1500. I would keep advertising the Valiant (try EBay or Craigs List). I wouldn't trade for the motor unless you had a car waiting to drop it into.

The only firm cash offer I had for the car was from a younger oriental guy who came to look at the car at 11:00p.m. one night and stayed until after 12:30. I've oficially never taken a test ride in a car I was thinking of buying at midnight, but I guess thats the way they do it back "east". Anyway, he offered $1000.00 cash and I declined. The next monday, he called and basically said "I told you it wasn't worth $1500.00 and now you have to take my offer!!! Well, I think you know the rest of the story.

As for the status of the car and the trade, this is what my buddy told me. He is moving to California in a couple months and he wants the car to bomb around in here until he leaves, then he's gonna sell it for $500.00 just to get rid of it quick. Maybe I should do the trade, then buy the car back in a couple months for $500.00 and resell it again??? Now I'm confused!!!LOL!!! Man, it's too early this morning for this kind of thought. We went to Elvisfest last night and we're all pretty cloudy right now. Heck, Nella doesn't even want to go to the pet store!!! Now thats poo-poo'ed!!!LOL!!! Thanks for the replies all, y'all have a great day!!! Geof and Nella

I wouldnt trade.

once you take the dual quad intake and pan and whatever else off.....in michigan economy and being a craigslist watcher....I only see you getting MAYBE $700.00 for the engine....maybe.....then whatever you make off parts.

would basically be like selling the car for less than its worth anyhow......but with the added hassle of removing parts and painting engine and posting a bunch of parts for sale and STILL not knowing just how quick any of THAT will sell.

I would hang onto the car....I honestly think someone will cough up $1500.00 .....thats a pretty decent price for a running and driving car here in MI....let alone one that is a classic.

I am not sure if he would be interested but try giving Don Marshall a call over at Marshall motors here in Jackson.....he has a classic car lot with atleast 200 classic cars and hot rods (mopars too!)and I know he is always buying stuff (and is also almost always willing to do some swapping and trading....and even offers layaway plans on cars too). he might offer you what you want to get out of it....worth a try anyhow.

That is a nice little car wish I had the cash to buy it.

i don't see that motor as an easy sell. you may know its new in side. your buddy may know its new inside but as a buyer i have to assume it needs to be gone through no matter what you say. plus its a 413...

Keep the car...

Well Keith, I would keep the car if not for the fact that I have 5 other cars, Nella's van project, and my 2 daily drivers. I have been approached by the voice of reason (Mrs. cosgig) that maybe we don't have to keep every car we buy (and we don't) and I'm simply out of indoor storage. I would love to do just what I planned with this little 66, get it to the point of reliability that I'm comfortable with, then pass it on to someone who can really enjoy it. I thought I was out of options selling this car...I listed it here first and didn't get a single message of interest. I put it up at the very busy corner by my house a number of times, but no takers. Did the craigslist thing and had about 30 calls and viewers so far, but again no takers.

I tell everybody the same thing...if you are looking for a fun, cheap convertible to drive and enjoy and you don't want to sink a bunch of $$ into something, this may be your car. If you start talking restoration, this just isn't your car. It's $1500.00 worth of fun little car... plus, I have this...

Attachments

• 100_3052.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 223
Well Keith, I would keep the car if not for the fact that I have 5 other cars, Nella's van project, and my 2 daily drivers. I have been approached by the voice of reason (Mrs. cosgig) that maybe we don't have to keep every car we buy (and we don't) and I'm simply out of indoor storage. I would love to do just what I planned with this little 66, get it to the point of reliability that I'm comfortable with, then pass it on to someone who can really enjoy it. I thought I was out of options selling this car...I listed it here first and didn't get a single message of interest. I put it up at the very busy corner by my house a number of times, but no takers. Did the craigslist thing and had about 30 calls and viewers so far, but again no takers.

I tell everybody the same thing...if you are looking for a fun, cheap convertible to drive and enjoy and you don't want to sink a bunch of $$ into something, this may be your car. If you start talking restoration, this just isn't your car. It's $1500.00 worth of fun little car... plus, I have this...

It looks like a good little driver. Wish I could but life got me again

Rub it in eh?LOLThats a nicer little one you got there!Maybe make a deal for the engine?Lone him the car for 2 months in trade for the engine(if you really want it?)Once he moves you get the car back to sell and have the engine for letting him use it for a D/D til he moves.Just a thought.Say hi to Nella for me Geoff.:hello2:

where is the add for your rag top for 1500-- can u post a link? thanks

You see it the way I see it Scott. I'm giving a couple members a chance to get the car right now, and if that doesn't pan out, I will make the trade. Sam (my buddy) will take good care if this car if he gets it, and he needs to be in Cali by the middle of Sept. so he would get the rest of the summer with it anyhow.

In years past I would loan him my GTX for the summer, as he worked at the Chrysler proving grounds and they have a special fenced-in area out front where employees can park and show off their rides. When I get the car back from him he has always done something special to it just to surprise me. Alas, he retired and is now moving, and with him will be a great loss in the fabrication dept. of Mobro Inc.!!! Not to mention all the bench racing and good "old school" Mopar info!!! Thanks for the input, and I just got a hug from Nella for you!!!, so you should be good there!!! Give some squeezinz' to Haelee for us!!! Geof

It's been my experience that it's very hard to sell a motor
without the ability to test drive it.Just way to many unknowns.

-
Back