What do you change to deck the block?

-

68fastback

Reaction score
On a 360, if you deck the block to make the pistons at 0 deck height, what else has to change or be machined? Will the push rods work and the intake line up?

Please all the info I could get would be great.

Thank you

Brad

they should cut the end rails of the block too....

the block will probably need around .020 cut...plus or minus a few thousands

make sure the machine shop can square the block...just not cut the deck...

even if you buy new pistons the deck height will not be zero or even the same...most mopar blocks are out of square...

the front to back deck heights vary and the left bank to right bank vary...
but then again what are you building????

Install Keith Black Kb107 Flat Top Pistons, Have The Machine Shop Mill The Deck To Zero Clearence. To Me, This Is The Best Way To Raise The Compression. This Makes For A Nice Little Combo.

If you take half the stroke,add it to the length of the rod( which is 6.123 if they are stock), then add the compression height of the piston. Then take that number to the machinest and tell him to square deck the block at that number.

I am going to square deck the block to 0 deck to raise my compression, but do I need to change push rods or mil the intake at all?

I am going to square deck the block to 0 deck to raise my compression, but do I need to change push rods or mil the intake at all?

Usually i don't have a problem on the front and rear of the block intake seals as I use silcone and no gaskets anyway. As far as the pushrods that is something you'll have to check when putting the engine back together.

you wont know how much is needed to cut until the machine shop checks the existing deck height....

so you can not buy longer pushrods ahead of times.....

1/2 the stroke...plus the rod length plus the compression height on the piston....is the deck height for zero deck....

Then would it be better to just get KB190 dome pistons instead of the flattop and decking the block to up the compression?

No, flat tops at zero or a little positive deck height will result in a better flame travel over the piston and a better quench. You really need have your block square decked.

Just to add, have any of you experienced what I have?

After decking the block .020-030, it is easier to line up the ports when port matching, and the intake fits right?

Just curious, but it seems like they leave a little extra on the top from the factory.

-
Back