What do you consider the word 'Restored' to mean?

What do you consider the word 'Restored' to mean?

• The car is brought back to look EXACTLY like it left the factory.

Votes: 27 77.1%
  • Car is disassembled and parts are 'refurbished'. Colors, options and wheel/tire combos can vary.

Votes: 8 22.9%
  • Car is completely refurbished with new paint, interior etc. There are lots of major modifications.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
-

harrisonm

Reaction score
The word 'Restored' gets thrown around a lot. Not only on this forum, but all over. Here are my expanded thoughts on the 3 choices below.
1. Technically, I believe, the word refers to bringing a car back to exactly how it left the factory. That would mean that every single detail down to the right bolts and clamps must be exactly correct. A possible trailer queen.
2. Restored to very near factory with a few deviations. I consider my 69 Barracuda fastback to be 'Restored'. It was Seafoam Green without callout stripe, black interior, no AC, automatic with console, 340, all drum brake car. It is now 69 correct F8 green, 69 correct dark green interior, 69 correct 340 white callout stripe, Formula S blackout treatment on front grills and tail panel (but no Formula S badges anywhere), Classic Auto Air added, Front disk brakes added, converted to a correct 69 Barracuda 4 speed setup with console and correct shifter, engine modified to about 375 HP, headers and Cragar wheels with Radial T/A tires. The car looks pretty much factory correct except for the aftermarket AC, tire/wheel combo and a few engine modifications.
3. A car that is refurbished to a high level, and it looks great. However it may have a non-Mopar paint color, non original interior, drivetrain from a late model car, highly upgraded suspension, and highly upgraded wheels and tires. Some call this 'Restified'.
What do you guys think???

1 Concours Restored
2 Restored
3 Restofied,
My car will be between 2 & 3, probably closer to 3 when its done. Very close but not Mopar paint color, non original interior, (Same model car, but 1 year off), drivetrain from a late(r) model car, (Magnum dressed to look like LA, & O/D trans), upgraded suspension-(original design, mostly Hotchkis), upgraded wheels and tires (plan is to have a set of Rallyes and a set of something modern to swap looks & performance.

There are a bunch of levels to this and I think it'll come out in the discussion.

For me it's most about overall appearance and keeping with the general design of the vehicle.
13" original wheels to 14 or 15... yeah... 18" wheels..No...

Likewise with engine and other mechanicals.

Not a fan of restomods.

When I did my 70 Dart, it was a 318/904 car, but it ended up with a 360/727, and went from column shift and bench seat to buckets and console. I also upgraded to an 8.75 diff and sbp front disc brakes. What I was trying to do was just make it something that could have been a factory built car, and I used all Mopar parts except for the TTi exhaust system and the A12 style hood scoop. It was ordered with the rallye wheels and they were sandblasted and refinished, still had the original trim rings and caps too. I always considered it as a modified restoration.

For me, I always considered “restored” as meaning brought back to some previous condition that it isn’t in now. That point of previous condition is up to the restorer to decide what it is.

It might mean as it came off the showroom floor, as it was a few months later with “day 2” mods or even as it was years later...or whatever.

The point is to make it true to that point in its history in order to call it “restored”.

Otherwise, if things are refreshed and changed to be different than the actual history of the vehicle, I consider that it is now rebuilt and/or modified...IMO.

To me after 60+ years in the Mopar hobby and looking at thousands of
Cars = the last few years it is pretty much Meaning way less every year.

There are a bunch of levels to this and I think it'll come out in the discussion.

For me it's most about overall appearance and keeping with the general design of the vehicle.

Not a fan of restomods.
That last line. I knew there was something about you I couldn't agree with.:poke::rofl:

In my humble opinion, "Restored" means just that, as in returned to an original state.

Anything is "Built".... I built to my liking. Call it restomod or whatever. If it's not to original specs, or at least something like a day 1 condition, then its simply something you built, which might be cool as hell... but.....

Restored, in general, indicates a price beyond reason. And a car (or whatever) that has been dolled up to sell high...

What do you do when you restore a power steering bracket? Do you paint it a custom color with flames? Well......I know some probably have, but by and large, you clean it, blast it....whatever and paint it black. The word "restored" with NO other adjectives involved means just that. Brought back to original.

To me "restored" means restored to original or close to original as possible.
Looking at all original, restored premium GTX's, Roadrunners, Charger R/T's etc. is cool and neat. But that's it.. 95% of them are trailer queens.
And to me, these cars are meant to be driven. I now lean more towards restomodded base model builds that are tastefully done, that are more function than form.
(yeah I'm not into the, slammed to the point of being stuck on speed bumps or the derpy "donk" with 24+ inch rims builds)
Months ago I bumped into fellow Moparian locally here in UT. He was driving a base model 72 Satellite. That was restomodded very nicely.
Yeah it has 17 inch rims, but now so do I.
Yeah, it had aftermarket front suspension, but now so do I for the most part. (except for the lower control arms).
Yeah, it has a Fuel injected 408 stroker built from a magnum 360, and yes I'm working on that as well, just waiting on a camshaft to complete my build. (long story)
After taking a ride in his Satellite, I was inspired to try a similar build with mine:
"A solid daily driver, that handles much better than stock and have great road manners."
Right now I'm about 75% there, and if I can make a comparison I had my buddy try his 2017 Accord V6 against my duster in one of the autocross tracks here in UT. Needless to say I easily kept up in the corners, but totally thrashed him in the straights. (I still took it easy slightly on the corners)
So I figured once I finish assembling the 8.75 with Aftermarket suregrip, rear disks, 3.55 gears. Plus new refurbished rear springs with poly bushings, frame stiffeners and then add rear sway bars. She'll be quite a bit better.

Restore just means bring it back to a previous condition. Hell someday someone could restore you restomod to it's condition now. Race cars, hotrods and customs get restored to a previous version.

Restored is as said . Brought back to original state . I really like a restored car but most are over restored... I refurbish mine ...lol Dont have the money time or talent to restore them .
Really unique and rare cars should be restored the other 99% can be whatever the owner wants . But I still prefer a stock look.
To over modify an old car to the point that it is modern defeats the point . Just buy a new car.. its cheaper.

There’s really 3 categories of “restoring” a car: each you pretty much defined.

1- Restored means to like factory new condition in every other hobby, it is here as well.
2- Restomod. You’ve restored or replaced some components with new or NoS parts. You’ve also changed things like rims, engines etc.

3: Pro-touring/Full custom- you’ve made MAJOR changes to the car. You’ve started with a base factory car as a skeleton but completely changed the drive train, accessories, interior, colors and in some cases, extensive body modifications.

I am a maracle worker...I bring them back from the DEAD and make them live again!!
With me, restored can be a relative term..sometimes a set of spark plugs set of points and a condensor, is all they get!! lol

It’s like the story of three blind men describing an elephant.

Restored is as said . Brought back to original state . I really like a restored car but most are over restored... I refurbish mine ...lol Dont have the money time or talent to restore them .
Really unique and rare cars should be restored the other 99% can be whatever the owner wants . But I still prefer a stock look.
To over modify an old car to the point that it is modern defeats the point . Just buy a new car.. its cheaper.

I'll have to politely disagree with you mbaird. If I wanted a newer car of let's say the same caliber I'll be shelling out more money per year.
I paid $2500 (in 2012) and sunk nearly $16,000 to it to make it a reliable DD. (granted it did take over 2 years to get it drivable so availability is an issue) And I'm nearly done with my build. I've been daily driving it since mid-2014.
I have no monthly payments. No interest to worry about.
In UT vintage vehicle renewals are only $10 per year.
No emissions to worry about with vintage tags. (another $45-$50 per year not to worry about).
Yes, I can shell out $35K - $50K for a used 3-4 yr old Challenger R/T, SRT or Camaro SS.
But that is just the price of the car... Add the sales tax, then add interest, add more expensive insurance, then you have to pay for emissions every year or 2, plus tag renewals. *With my wife's 12' Tahoe it's about $130 every year for tag renewals, I know for a fact it's quite a bit more for those newer muscle cars.*
Yes, I kept track of what I spent on the Duster.
Granted I could spend $18,000 on a used 4cyl Honda Accord and maybe spend slightly less per year. (cheaper insurance, much better gas mileage). As a former owner of a V6 Accord, it's just not the same.
I don't know what it is... I make numerous trips to Louisville CO and back almost every year, (500 miles one-way) with both the Accord and the Duster. (29-30 mpg vs. 17 mpg). Well not with the Accord anymore, I sold it a few years back.
I had more fun with the duster, after the trip I want to keep driving more. I meet more interesting people with the duster. It feels like an adventure.
With the Accord: 500 miles later... Hey I made it, I got 29.75 mpg average... yawn... "So, what's for dinner? Oh and you're driving."

Last edited:
''Restored'' means the car is built identically in all ways that the car left the factory originally, flaws and all.
It is extremely difficult and expensive to do this properly.

My Demon is "going back on the road". Trying to complete the basket case I bought with period correct pieces. Although, the car still sports it's original drive train, interior (seats, dash and steering column), brakes and suspension. Unfortunately not much original metal left in it. All pieces replaced with mopar doner or AMD. All rust cut out, replacement pieces welded and minimal filler (no 37 coats of high build or skim coat on the whole car). Extras include USCT torque boxes, inner fender supports and core support. And.......The Cal 500 slots you see on my avitar car from the early 80's. Paint scheme will be going back to the build sheet.....GA4 with blackout hood, side and transverse stripes.

So what would this be considered?

Restore= brought back to as original.
But to me a restoration means the same with tasteful upgrades such as wheels, paint color period correct, engine swaps.
And yes, you can put the wrong wheels on a car.

-
Back