What do you guys think of this package? Opinions? Can I do better?

-

MRGTX

Reaction score
I've been running 15x7 '71 style Rally wheels for almost 20 years and I'm getting tired of looking at them. Meanwhile, Im badly in need of new tires so it might be a good time to also freshen up the style.

For the fronts, I believe 235/60/15 fit...stock suspension geometry.

For the rear, while I have yet to find my 8.75" (any local CT guys selling one, drop me a PM) but I expect to run either stock A-body width or B-Body width...I believe these will worth with either.

15x7 front, 235/60/15
15x8 rear, 265/60/15

The one catch is that while stock wheels use 4.5" (114.3mm) offset, these are only available in offsets of 100, 112, 130mm so at best, 2.3mm off from stock. Will this be a problem on either end?

Edit: they are available with 4.5" back spacing too :)

I think I'm resigned to BFG Radial T/A but any other suggestions would be gratefully considered!

Thoughts, opinions welcome.

IMG_4730.JPG

Last edited:
MRGTX- There are so many beautiful aftermarket wheels. That wheel is different. Kind of has that 70's look. In my opinion, those tires are to big for a Duster. Measure twice and look at other Dusters in (shows) person. Like BFG tires.

I like the Rallys but I understand your ready for a change. I like this wheel, but maybe a side shot of your car would help put it all together. Who makes this wheel?

I want to have the most rubber on the road as possible... :)

These are Superlite Trans Am wheels...probably better suited for an AAR 'Cuda but my Dart Sport is all I've got!

IMG_3241.JPG

Also, I'd be happy to sell the Rally wheels for cheap (local pick up only...sorry) they're replicas and could use a coat of Argent.

I drive this car all over the place...I like Those ET Street tires...but are drag-only? High growth tire" doesn't say "handling" to me :)

I agree that 265 will be too big unless you have already made mods to fit them. My 255s BARELY fit my 69 Valiant. Its also important to note not all 255s have the same shape (section width and tread width). I went from 255 Cooper Cobras which had a section width of 10.2 to the Mickey Thompson ET Street radials which have a section width of 10.3, which is almost negligible. BUT what almost bit me in the *** is the tread width! Cooper doesn't advertise a tread width but the ET Streets have a much wider tread width (8.8"). Meaning the section width is wider all the way to the tread or less balloon shaped so to speak. Just food for thought. Hope all of that made sense.

I've been driving on the Street S/T tires for a year now, daily driver. Plenty of rain this winter. I love them.

I agree that 265 will be too big unless you have already made mods to fit them. My 255s BARELY fit my 69 Valiant. Its also important to note not all 255s have the same shape (section width and tread width). I went from 255 Cooper Cobras which had a section width of 10.2 to the Mickey Thompson ET Street radials which have a section width of 10.3, which is almost negligible. BUT what almost bit me in the *** is the tread width! Cooper doesn't advertise a tread width but the ET Streets have a much wider tread width (8.8"). Meaning the section width is wider all the way to the tread or less balloon shaped so to speak. Just food for thought. Hope all of that made sense.

This is helpful feedback...but as I understand it, while the front end is more or less the same, the Duster type A-bodies do have quite a bit more room under the rear fenders.

Can anyone verify if 265 or 275 will fit a Duster type with stock offset/stock spring locations?

I've been driving on the Street S/T tires for a year now, daily driver. Plenty of rain this winter. I love them.

Reaalllyy....how many miles in this year? Do you have them on the front as well? These really looked like drag tires to me...which are not designed to hold up or maintain contact patch under lateral forces. If I'm wrong about that, these MT ET Street are an easy pick. They look awesome.

I'll go get some pictures in a few minutes. I have about 10,000-12,000 miles on them (no odometer). City driving, freeway driving and country driving.

As to handling, I am not too sure. I need to get torque boxes, subframe connectors, and replace all the rubber components in the suspension, in addition to replacing the rear leafs and torsion bars. After I do all that and getting a swaybar for the front, then I'd be willing to push the car.

Here's the pics I just grabbed.

IMG_20170502_091927.jpg

IMG_20170502_091907.jpg

IMG_20170502_092023.jpg

IMG_20170502_092039.jpg

Last edited:
hell, I also have a 7.25 pegleg with 2.76 gears and a little 318, but that's not forever... I got the widest tires I could all the way around though because I wanted as much rubber on the road as I can get. In spite of my current crappy suspension, the car sticks like a rare earth magnet to the fridge.

The Sportsman look like they're holding up! Those look like a good option

Oh yes...that's a damn great looking combination. Please note that I am still running a 7.25" axle...and a stock Magnum 300 crate motor, neither of which justify that kind of rubber. :D
Upgrade that rear and get ya some nice wheels and tires!

I'll go get some pictures in a few minutes. I have about 10,000-12,000 miles on them (no odometer). City driving, freeway driving and country driving.

As to handling, I am not too sure. I need to get torque boxes, subframe connectors, and replace all the rubber components in the suspension, in addition to replacing the rear leafs and torsion bars. After I do all that and getting a swaybar for the front, then I'd be willing to push the car.

Here's the pics I just grabbed.

View attachment 1715043582

View attachment 1715043583

View attachment 1715043584

View attachment 1715043585

did you have those wheels machined to allow the lugnuts to sit deeper?

i just bought a set of those (15X8) for the rear of the duster and i was not happy to see that the needed longer then stock studs, if i wanted to put them on for more then 5 turns

somehow...your rims look different

Nope, I didn't have anything done to the wheels. I'll look up exactly what wheel part number I have when I get home, as well as the lugnuts.

Nope, I didn't have anything done to the wheels. I'll look up exactly what wheel part number I have when I get home, as well as the lugnuts.

-
Back