What do you just have to keep ?

-

RatRod

Reaction score
A little off topic and apologies for that but...... today I was going thru a cabinet shelf where I stash things that need to be out of site and ran across my backrest style motorcycle bag. I bought this bag for $100 from SAC 20+ years ago when I first started riding. It's so faded from the sun that it's gray on top instead of the original black that it came in. The handle is literally falling apart when you put your fingers thru it. I finally sold my 2010 Heritage last year but can't part with the bag; After going thru the contents again (gloves, do rags, etc), took these pics and then put it back in the closet.

Somethings you just have to keep, right?

PXL_20230510_184451199.jpg

PXL_20230510_184500784.jpg

PXL_20230510_184509551.jpg

I have a baseball signed by the Pittsburgh Pirates back in the late 1960’s when they were good. I know it’s worth something but I hate baseball. And I’m not close to any place that could verify its authenticity.

I have an old pair of boots that I can't seem to part with, bought them for my wedding in 1996, rarely ever wear them anymore.
Got rid of the wife in 2005, but I still like the boots.

I have an old 2x2 piece of plywood that I drilled a bunch of holes in. I was like 4 and my dad let me use a hand drill for the first time.
Then I have a round table top from an outside metal table that I slid down the hill in front of our parsonage house in Louisiana when I saw the first snow/ice storm of my life at 6 years old.
Just junk, but they hold a fond memory.

I just retired after 44 years and 9 months of working at the power company. I brought home 4 cardboard boxes and one big tote container with all my stuff I accumulated over the years. My climbing tools are in my drag bag out in the shop, and I will never get rid of them even though I doubt I'll ever climb again. Well, I will if MY lights are out and we're way down the list! The other stuff is just mementos from the past, back when it was fun.....back before Dook Energy bought us out.

I just retired after 44 years and 9 months of working at the power company. I brought home 4 cardboard boxes and one big tote container with all my stuff I accumulated over the years. My climbing tools are in my drag bag out in the shop, and I will never get rid of them even though I doubt I'll ever climb again. Well, I will if MY lights are out and we're way down the list! The other stuff is just mementos from the past, back when it was fun.....back before Dook Energy bought us out.

I retired in 2010 and still have my safety harness, burning pants and jackets, helmets, etc. lol

My old Martin D28 and my Grandfathers retirement watch engraved from Nova Scotia Light and Power. Everything else can go.......Even the car.

My wife. My cats. Car parts I may use. My guitars. Most everything else is clutter. Somehow it's hard to turn loose. "They" say, (whoever they are) that if you don't use something for a year, to get rid of it. Yeah, ok.

My wife. My cats. Car parts I may use. My guitars. Most everything else is clutter. Somehow it's hard to turn loose. "They" say, (whoever they are) that if you don't use something for a year, to get rid of it. Yeah, ok.

If I don't use something for a year and then discard it.

That will instantly invoke "Murphy" and I will need it on approximately day 366-370.

...and then find that a replacement is either $500 or not available at any cost.

T-shirts... I still have my Infantry basic training t-shirt from 1984. It's so worn you can see through it like gauze. But there's a stack of them in the closet that I guess my heirs will have to toss in the dumpster.

I've got some concert shirts from the 80's.

Some of those are worth big bucks.

Quick search shows 1982 Iron Maiden NOTB jersey listed for between $600 and $2000!

Last edited:
If I don't use something for a year and then discard it.

That will instantly invoke "Murphy" and I will need it on approximately day 366-370.

...and then find that a replacement is either $500 or not available at any cost.
Yup. It's tough to get around and actually let it go. Although I chunk things MUCH easier than Kitty. She still has dishes and whatnots that the cats knocked and broke YEARS ago in boxes that she will NOT throw away......and I'm talkin about stuff broken so badly, in so many small pieces no amount of super glue genius will ever put it back together. LOL

My first car...my 69 Charger. Bought in 1978, took my girlfriend on her first "car date" in it, and she's been my wife for almost 38 yrs now. Just something about 69 Chargers....!!!

The area I live in has a “free” Facebook group. You can either like up something or someone will ask if one is available. A mother asked for a net so her daughter could catch frog. I looked and didn’t have one so I bought her one. Her mother sent me a picture of her smiling after catching her first frog. I asked her mother if she liked fishing and she said she wanted to learn so I bought her a small fishing pole, hooks, tackle box, etc. I also gave them three bigger fishing poles I had and would never use. My old hunting coats will get listed next. A 80 pound workout bag from my karate days went in 20 minutes. Nice way to start cleaning out the house.

I've got some concert shirts from the 80's.

Some of those are worth big bucks.

Quick search shows 1982 Iron Maiden NOTB jersey listed for between $600 and $2000!
I'd love to see a pick of that jersey

I used to have one from Metallica, I picked up in Switzerland
As luck would have it, I was wearing it when I crashed my dirt bike into a VW European in the early 2000s and the EMTs cut it off of me

Saw it listed a few years ago for 600

T-shirts... I still have my Infantry basic training t-shirt from 1984. It's so worn you can see through it like gauze. But there's a stack of them in the closet that I guess my heirs will have to toss in the dumpster.
T shirts, which we all know are hard to get rid of, are a constant challenge as to where to put them and still keep them around.

-
Back