What do you think of this build

-
well no I don't. I can ignore it. lol

I do want to say thanks Rob. I just like to know why something is the way it is. I appreciate the patience as I know I can be frustrating..

meh. no biggie. If you need me you know where I bees.

I wrote you one of my usual stories, but it vanished when I pressed send! I spent like almost two hours on it! I hate when that happens.
Loong story short; for closed chamber heads; Zero deck, .039FellPros, Calculate your Scr, Select a cam with the correct intake closing angle, to achieve the highest Dcr that you can get away with,using your available fuels,at your altitude, and with your head material.If you need more cam to achieve your target mph, just adjust the chamber volume accordingly. This is probably easiest/cheapest to do with a step-dome piston. Or put the car on a diet.
With aluminum heads, I have successfully run 9.2Dcr with 91E10, and easily run 87E10 at 8.7Dcr, at 950'altitude.I'm pretty sure I could run a bit more Dcr , say 9.0 with 87E10.
I've heard it said that iron requires .5 to 1.0 less.

If I was building an iron headed pkg like yours, I would tighten up the quench to .035 and target 8.5Dcr, to run 87 as a DD, and 93 with cold air and slicks. If I had trouble with detonation,Id experiment with cooling system temps,and cam-timing.If that failed,I'd move up one cam size(cheap and easy). After that, I'D probably take the pistons out and cut a few CCs out of them. And finally,as a last resort, a swap to 060 gaskets would drop the Dcr about .2 and open up the quench to .055,still workable.
Another way to get the quench with closed chamber heads is to drop the pistons .015 down and use the .020 gaskets for a quench of .035 . But when I tried that, the gaskets I used gave up pretty quick..
Of course I'd start with a roller block. You know; reuseable lifters(cuz some day...). And I would get a cam with the fastest rate-of-lift I could find.
Thats what I would do.

But if you start with the pistons down much more than .010, you're kinda screwed, for NA.

Now, you know what would be useful, is if some of you guys with iron,closed chamber heads, and you know your Dcr numbers, would chime in with success stories; including the Dcr, the successfully used octane gas, and your altitude. Shazzam! That would be golden info.

Just getting things lined up to start the tear down. Engine hoist check, engine stand check, cc plate and flask check. Hoping within a couple weeks to start pulling it.

First thing in going to do is cc the heads. Then finish the tear down. Get it to the engine ship to have it all checked. Hoping the heads are OK, but if they are not I'll be picking up some Indy x heads from Hughes. I'll report back at that time when I have some #s and info for you.

^^ Best post Ever! Is that a streeter?
So you are running 10.17 Dcr? Successfully? with full timing( at least 32*/ 34* with al. heads)? and using what fuel? Ima assuming aluminum heads? and no anti detonants on the street?

10.17 with 11.37Dcr, seems to indicate a very early closing intake, ie;small cam. Would that be right?

I"m so excited. I think that's the highest Dcr anyone has posted. Please tell me its a streeter!

Look into the KB107's, I put them in my Magnum.
Price is not bad, with good quench, compression is high using eldebrock mag heads.
Mine is 11.37 static with 10.17 dynamic.
If I read correctly on KB web site they will sit slightly lower in a LA block.

http://www.summitracing.com/search?SortBy=BestKeywordMatch&SortOrder=Ascending&keyword=KB107

Holy Crapoly!!! Your running pump gas w/o booster and streetable with that engine?

Hell, I just want something better than the crappy compression I have now, but I think that is a little to much. hahaha

-
Back