What do you think of this build

-
"Magnum heads if mine are not cracked. (Otherwise swap to EQ's or possibly a LA head not sure which one), wanting to keep iron heads".

With respects,
Maybe I missed the update on the heads ???
Thx

Im curious, where or how did you come up with the .040 quench area?

"Magnum heads if mine are not cracked. (Otherwise swap to EQ's or possibly a LA head not sure which one), wanting to keep iron heads".

With respects,
Maybe I missed the update on the heads ???
Thx

I have not gotten the heads or the engine disassembled yet. Im trying to get everything lined up before I tear it down.

.040" (.035" minimum) is a recommended quench gap; much more and the velocity of the 'squirt' drops; much less and the risk is of piston/head collision.

Here are some more app notes that cover the 2 KB pistons being discussed. I'd like to find this kind of info squirreled away on the KB site......probably have to just call KB and ask for it.

http://www.campbellenterprises.com/mopar_kb_pistons.htm

(The narrowing of the piston rod applies to the magnum engine, I do believe it says on the KB site...)

10-4 on the quench #'s

It sounds like a lot more work is needed to get those 232's to fit, such as possibly milling the heads. Just for roughly a .1 point change.

And to add to the the confusion....looking at the pix of these 2 pistons from KB on the Mancini site.....the pix are different, and the 323's don't have finished valve pockets. Looks to be mandatory to call KB to get the right info! If I get time tomorrow, I'll call myself (no, I won't call TO myself...LOL), I need to know too.

The milling may or may not be an issue. Our local shop has a piston jig ready to go and can do a simple flat mill of a few 10's of thousandths on a set of 8 piston tops in an hour or so. Not a big deal for us.

Thanks for bring up the topic BTW; I needed to go through all of this too.

No problem!

I wish they (any company) made a piston in the middle of the 232/362 and the 107's. Something with around 10cc or so so you can get from 9.8 to 9.5 SCR depending on your heads.

It just stumps me and there is probably a reason they dont, but for those of us that want that range its not cut and dry. Or again it is and Im just dumb.

Then don't use the KB pistons. There ARE other alternatives.

No problem!

I wish they (any company) made a piston in the middle of the 232/362 and the 107's. Something with around 10cc or so so you can get from 9.8 to 9.5 SCR depending on your heads.

It just stumps me and there is probably a reason they dont, but for those of us that want that area its not cut and dry. Or again it is and Im just dumb.

What are those K.B's gonna run you,on an estimate? 350-400 bills? A couple hundo more,some selective custom forged might be had,6 bills,or so... Do some hunting, a custom CNC piston,isn't too much more.. J M.O.

While I know this isn't cut and dry, the Speed Pro's give you an idea on the site as to CR based on what cc your heads are.

For example: H116CP 30 will put you at 65cc head=9.85, 71cc head=9.26.

I know it's just a reference, and you really need to calculate the CR, but it does give an idea.

What are those K.B's gonna run you,on an estimate? 350-400 bills? A couple hundo more,some selective custom forged might be had,6 bills,or so... Do some hunting, a custom CNC piston,isn't too much more.. J M.O.
You can get the Mahle forged pistons for about that price

Then don't use the KB pistons. There ARE other alternatives.

So far from what I've seen there is nothing in between. Im not stuck on the KB's, but my search has found most or all pistons are the same.

Never thought about having some custom ones made. Thanks

While I know this isn't cut and dry, the Speed Pro's give you an idea on the site as to CR based on what cc your heads are.

For example: H116CP 30 will put you at 65cc head=9.85, 71cc head=9.26.

I know it's just a reference, and you really need to calculate the CR, but it does give an idea.

I know that the advertised CC for the head can vary a lot. Such as my magnum heads are advertised at 62cc, talking with Mike at MRL he has never seen any set of heads come in at advertised. Usually way more! So I could have a 65, 67 or ???? head. I have to check that. But just going off of advertise for the time being. I would be pushing 10 SCR, isnt that to much for iron heads?

You can get the Mahle forged pistons for about that price

I'll look into this brand, thanks

I know that the advertised CC for the head can vary a lot. Such as my magnum heads are advertised at 62cc, talking with Mike at MRL he has never seen any set of heads come in at advertised. Usually way more! So I could have a 65, 67 or ???? head. I have to check that. But just going off of advertise for the time being. I would be pushing 10 SCR, isnt that to much for iron heads?

Summit has a buret and plate for about 30 bucks, get it and cc yer heads then you'll know. Although their site is down at the moment, I just tried to order one. :banghead:

Here's what I'm talkin about: http://www.ebay.com/itm/summit-racing-cylinder-head-cc-kit-980180-/331374933924

I would think knowing that will help in the decision process. And yes, 10 is pushing it, I'm trying real hard to come in at 9.5 and I think I'm close with the pistons and heads I have.

I am going to get that kit and then I will know exactly where I stand. Then it's just a matter of choosing the correct head gasket thickness.

Summit has a buret and plate for about 30 bucks, get it and cc yer heads then you'll know. Although their site is down at the moment, I just tried to order one. :banghead:

Here's what I'm talkin about: http://www.ebay.com/itm/summit-racing-cylinder-head-cc-kit-980180-/331374933924

I would think knowing that will help in the decision process. And yes, 10 is pushing it, I'm trying real hard to come in at 9.5 and I think I'm close with the pistons and heads I have.

I am going to get that kit and then I will know exactly where I stand. Then it's just a matter of choosing the correct head gasket thickness.

I agree.

Find out exactly the CC's of the heads you have before you go out buying pistons. They sound used so you don't know where you are at.

Sounds like someone probably choose the wrong parts last time, don't do it again.

I've got the XE 274 cam with 9.8 compression (measured and calc'd) with aluminum heads. I run 91 Octane and it with barely ping on a very hot day under heavy load up a steep grade with full throttle.

Here ya go, save some money, buy this and a piece of plexi glass and your set. 1cc= 1ml.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141634873403?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I cc'd my magnum heads a few days ago and they were 62

That is good to know, I'll post results of mine when I do it but it will be some time.

Have fun drilling the hole in it, drill, crack, back to the store. Drill, crack, back to the store.

Rinse and repeat, lmao.

It can be done, but I usually screw up a piece or two first.

Slow, I repeat slow.... Better yet buy a small piece of Lexan, it doesnt shatter or crack. Start small and keep stepping up until you get to the size you want..

Just trying to save ya some money.

If you just grease the plexiglass plate you don't need to bolt it down.
Just be aware that if the glass is not tight to the head you can add considerable volume to the measurement. If the plate is .010" off the head surface of an open chamber SBM head with some goop sealing it, you've just added 2 whole cc's to the measurement.

So far from what I've seen there is nothing in between. Im not stuck on the KB's, but my search has found most or all pistons are the same.

Then you aint lookin. The Speed Pros all have a "little" lower compression.

Then you aint lookin. The Speed Pros all have a "little" lower compression.

I did see that. It took me a few hours today, to figure out how they where coming up with lower compression with the same head volume as other brands. Its all in the compression height!

I did see that. It took me a few hours today, to figure out how they where coming up with lower compression with the same head volume as other brands. Its all in the compression height!

duh

been tellin you all along. bout ready to give the heck up.

duh

been tellin you all along. bout ready to give the heck up.

Nope its how I learn... Being told is one thing, figuring out why is another.. I will get this, you will all have to suffer thru it with me, and put up with my dumb questions! hahahaha Sucka!!!

-
Back