What do you think of this Duster?

-
I bet if a member here posted it on this site, they'd ask $20,000 for it and everyone would say it's a steal.

Not. The only way to get 20k for a '73 340 4-speed Duster would be to time travel back to 1973, pick it up off the end of the assembly line, and bring it back. All original, no miles, all the documentation. Then maybe. I think $20k would be the absolute top of the market, it would have to be perfect. This one is definitely not perfect. Nice car, but if it's not a real 340 4 speed with matching numbers then its $12 to maybe 14k, depending on what a closer look shows.

The problem is if you have $20k burning a hole in your pocket to buy a classic mopar there would be a lot more interesting cars in your price range. Like 72+ Challengers. This one won't break $20k. Maybe not even $17. It's definitely not perfect, lots of little things going on that you could pick apart- wrong dash for one. But a running, driving, matching engine 340 Rallye with a fender tag...

Dodge: Challenger Ralley

Last edited:
No integrity now days!! List it, get a bunch of bids but not your price range, then claim it's sold!! Why list it on eBay then???
I asked if it was a real 340 car and if I could possibly get the VIN.. even if it isn't sold - at this point I would shy away from the car..

WAY rather have the challenger for the $...front tires on the duster stick out like a 4x4.

WAY rather have the challenger for the $...front tires on the duster stick out like a 4x4.

That's an easy fix though. The Duster just needs new rims with the right backspace. Probably has 3.75" backspacing front and rear, which is why its lifted up like a 4x4 to keep the front and back from rubbing. Shoulda got out a ruler before buying those rims.

The Challenger Rallye only hit $14.5k, didn't hit reserve. The '72+ Challengers have the same issue as the 73+ A-bodies, seems like no one wants them. And the price spread between Challengers and Ebody Barracuda's seems to be growing. Used to be that the prices were fairly similar for roughly equivalent cars, excluding '71 Cuda's. Now it seems like it doesn't matter, the E-body Barracuda's are bringing more cash regardless. Would definitely have liked to see that Rallye go higher, but I guess that means there's no temptation to sell my non-numbers '72 318 Chally any time soon. Not that I was going to anyway, but still.

That's an easy fix though. The Duster just needs new rims with the right backspace. Probably has 3.75" backspacing front and rear, which is why its lifted up like a 4x4 to keep the front and back from rubbing. Shoulda got out a ruler before buying those rims.

The Challenger Rallye only hit $14.5k, didn't hit reserve. The '72+ Challengers have the same issue as the 73+ A-bodies, seems like no one wants them. And the price spread between Challengers and Ebody Barracuda's seems to be growing. Used to be that the prices were fairly similar for roughly equivalent cars, excluding '71 Cuda's. Now it seems like it doesn't matter, the E-body Barracuda's are bringing more cash regardless. Would definitely have liked to see that Rallye go higher, but I guess that means there's no temptation to sell my non-numbers '72 318 Chally any time soon. Not that I was going to anyway, but still.

Exactly right...I'll never sell my 73 318 challenger either.and yes bbp a bodies deffanantly need a ton of rear spacing on they're fronts!...to make up for that wide track

Not. The only way to get 20k for a '73 340 4-speed Duster would be to time travel back to 1973, pick it up off the end of the assembly line, and bring it back. All original, no miles, all the documentation. Then maybe. I think $20k would be the absolute top of the market, it would have to be perfect. This one is definitely not perfect. Nice car, but if it's not a real 340 4 speed with matching numbers then its $12 to maybe 14k, depending on what a closer look shows.

The problem is if you have $20k burning a hole in your pocket to buy a classic mopar there would be a lot more interesting cars in your price range. Like 72+ Challengers. This one won't break $20k. Maybe not even $17. It's definitely not perfect, lots of little things going on that you could pick apart- wrong dash for one. But a running, driving, matching engine 340 Rallye with a fender tag...

Dodge: Challenger Ralley

I agree! It's just interesting how hypocritical this site is sometimes.

-
Back