What do you think of this plug?

-
a lil story from my teen yrs...

I had a friend named roy, roy had a step side chevy w/350...
well one day he changed the plugs and it seemed to run a lot better.
2 weeks passes and he decides his milage has dropped and the motor doesn't respond as well as it did right after he changed the plugs, so he changes them again ...and again he feels that it runs better and picked up a mile or 2 per gallon of gas....

lame story short...
He went on changing plugs every 2 weeks from there on.

was it all in his head?
was it just that when you change plugs it runs better for a few?
was it that it ran better for a few....till the poor tune [rich from the quadropuke carb] slightly fouled the plug?

I say it will always seem to or run better initially after changing plugs, wether it tune or? but jmo

real question besides the pointed out quality of plug, as in different standards for the dealer vs the do it yourself'R parts store, IS....
Are the heat range specs the same for each brand per app? know what I mean guys?

Ignorant.

No. Correct. A spark plug is a spark plug is a spark plug, unless there's something physically WRONG with it such as a cracked insulator or broken or burned electrode. All any of them can do is conduct a spark. Period. End of story. Gimmick plugs are just that. Gimmicks to get into your wallet. No need to call someone names over a spark plug, especially when you're just plain wrong. I've been a wrench turner since 1974 and have heard this plugs bad that one.....I've heard it all. I've used all those bad plugs through the years with great success. Know which ones I use? Whatever is on sale at Wal Mart and I've never had one single problem. Not even a blip on the radar. All a high dollar plug can do, such as irridium, platinum, or any other exotic is make an engine a tad easier to start, last longer and maybe...I said maybe increase mileage just a tad until they get coated good with soot. None of them will add a drop of power. Except for a handful of really out there exotic hand made plugs, they're ALL made exactly the same. From your beloved NGKs to the Champions that you deplore. Sorry, I don't care how experienced someone is. Wrong information is wrong information and you sure spouted some.

All this about spark plugs? I have come to the conclusion everyone has their brand they use. You just have to find the one you like best be it the plain or extravagant package or ads they have LMAO. I only use Valvoline oil products for some reason. I dont know why but its what I use in my junk. I think it rubbed off on me when I started noticing my dad was only using valvoline or most of the time... SO find you a product and use it then when it dosent pan out you can blame yourself. LMAO

I tend to agree with stroker, for the most part plugs is plugs. The best plugs in the world will make an engine run the same as plugs that are just good enough. It's when you have a plug that isn't good enough that you have problems.

As for the various "high tech" or "long life" plugs, save your money. I typically run a basic name brand plug and arbitrarily replace them every 10,000 miles or so. If your engine runs noticeably better with fresh plugs, you waited too long to change them.

As for the plug at the beginning of the thread, it doesn't look too bad. You could try one range hotter like moper said, and maybe try one range colder, if the extra $15 wont kill ya. I've always run the coldest plugs that don't foul. Easier to read.

It's all about using the correct heat range.
If it's correct for the engine, it will have very little carbon build up and they will run for a long time with out any problems.
I think the plug looks good.
A little fat at idle, or if you run a choke, it's staying on a little to long after start up.

Ignorant.

This guy is a tool,that needs to go back to .org.
If you dont agree with him you are ignorant.
He is the single reason the .org site sucks.He's like cancer.
I dont care how much he knows about a slant.BFD !!
Its how you treat people that counts,and he treats people like S**t.

Anyway I like NGK's and Autolites. Cheap (money wise) and effective.

Like others have said,with todays gas,it is harder to get a good plug reading.
But from what I see,your plugs look pretty decent.

I dont care how much he knows about a slant.BFD !!

thats just it...I've read his sht and he knows a whole lot of nothing.
he parrots manual

he's anal and an over corrective lil priss that needs to feel special.tor

It's just another motor....while better than other of it's ilk ...still just a motor.

thats just it...I've read his sht and he knows a whole lot of nothing.
he parrots manual

he's anal and an over corrective lil priss that needs to feel special.tor

It's just another motor....while better than other of it's ilk ...still just a motor.

I don't know. The ford 300 was sure a good inline six. The chevy 235. AMC 258....Dodge 230 flathead six. There were a lot of really good oones. I ain't prejudiced. LOL

OK lets talk about something everyone can agree on like which oil filter is best

We were already talkin about somethin we can all agree on. slantsixdan is a jerk.

NGK's pricey?? They cost the same as Autolite's at my local NAPA. About a $1.50 each. I'm talking about the NGK V-power plugs. Not anything fancy.

I ask a few ways back what plug to run and now have the NGK V power works good for me.

i have used autolites on all my hotrods regardless of what brand engine.right now its running 63s ,think i should go back to 65s? i thought colder plugs were the way to go with 108 lobes.

I've run NGK's almost exclusively for the last 20 years in my MoPars ; I say almost because of a momentary lapse in judgment last Summer ...

I found a box-of-8 #405 "Champion" plugs in my storage , and since my 'Net needed a set of freshies , I popped 'em in after setting their gap @ .040 .
Boy , did my car run like **** ! Ran so horribly in fact , that I just cleaned and re-gapped the old Autolites that I removed , and strapped 'em back in after one week !

Those crappy "Champions" lost their gap in that short amount of time ! Some had 'bent' to .030 , whereas some had 'bent' to .045 !!

Went back to my beloved NGK's , and have not looked back .

since this seems to be a matter of opinion...here is my 2 centavos

Best plug = the one that is ON sale and changed often
Oil filter I like WIX and I change it often as well

I spouted off in another thread about the name calling.....if you don't like what I like, that does not make you an idiot nor does it make you ignorant, it simply means you have a different view albeit one that I consider incorrect, but not idiotic or ignorant.

if you want you car to run a certain way....find the product that works for YOU...classics cost thousands to build & restore.....whats a few bucks for plugs? if it runs like ****, try a different brand.....
I personally think if you are spending upward of $10 per you might have more money than common sense, but again that is just my opinion.

Just seeing what I can change to get better performance/durability from the spark plugs :) They are Autolite 65's with the copper core. And not to long ago my tech instructor told me to trash the Autolites and get Champion because they were designed for Dodge. The whole thing started when he was making fun of a melted Autolite we found in a car haha.

Heres a picture, thanks for any advice.

View attachment 148567

I would go 1 step colder, and 1-2 jests leaner.

but what carb, what pv/vac reading at idle [in gear if auto]?
and what elevation?

-
Back