What do you think of this plug?

-
This has gotten more posts than I'd imagine :shock:

The car does run rich at WOT, although that's what I want it to do. But cruising around, the stoich. tells me it's happy with the car.

But I did go with one heat range colder because the ground strap looked pretty pale when I pulled it out. But I did notice something funny about the new plugs when I went to put them in. And I hope it gives a heads up next time you purchase new plugs (right now this only applies to Autolite's, unless someone sees the same problem with other companies).
The car store handed me two boxes of plugs, as I was taking them out of the box later, I noticed the labels looked a tad different between the boxes. It turned out one box of plugs were from China, and the other 4 were from Mexico. I went to set the gap to about .45, And the Mexico plugs strap would always bend at an angle and never wanted to be raised straight up, no matter what I tried it would never stay parallel with the rest of the plug, so I had to resort in egging it on with a hammer. The China ones are the other hand worked beautifully with no complaints.
So just make sure you check the box :toothy5:

I always like NGK or ND plugs. Your plug to me looks like it may be a bit rich on the jetting on the top end judging by the ring being black. I use NGK bkr5e-11 plugs. They work great for me. You may need the 6's though.

If you use autolites, use the AR series. They will have 4 #'s after the AR.

Ignorant.

No, not quite...it doesnt matter where the hell a spark plug comes from.
And yes I made the two latter locations up. I am FAR from ignorant.

A spark plug either sparks or it doesnt. It's either the correct heat range or it isnt. I've used just about every brand with exception to the multi electrode gimmick plugs being someone who uses what is available, and I have never had a problem as long as they were properly gapped and the proper type for the vehicle, and I'm talking severe conditions.

Ignorant is judging something based on where it comes from rather than how it works.
Kind of like calling someone ignorant for making a true statement when it doesnt fall in line with your opinion.

With everything being made in china including the computer you're using to call me ignorant, it's pretty hypocritical to make a statement like that.
There's literally a TON of stuff made here that sucks. It's hit and miss no matter where it comes from.

P.S. Chances are the reason a product from china MIGHT have a problem is because of the shortsightedness of an american company quick to push off the labor there with very little QC or oversight...

A spark plug either sparks or it doesnt. It's either the correct heat range or it isnt. I've used just about every brand with exception to the multi electrode gimmick plugs being someone who uses what is available, and I have never had a problem as long as they were properly gapped and the proper type for the vehicle, and I'm talking severe conditions.

Ignorant is judging something based on where it comes from rather than how it works.
Kind of like calling someone ignorant for making a true statement when it doesnt fall in line with your opinion.

With everything being made in china including the computer you're using to call me ignorant, it's pretty hypocritical to make a statement like that.
There's literally a TON of stuff made here that sucks. It's hit and miss no matter where it comes from.

P.S. Chances are the reason a product from china MIGHT have a problem is because of the shortsightedness of an american company quick to push off the labor there with very little QC or oversight...

I NOW have a new found respect for you!! Great responce with a whole lot of truth :notworth::notworth:

i use autoltes 63s right now in my 360 no difference in perf with splitfires=wasted money

mega ditto's

it's all about using the correct plug for your app.
the only problem I've ever had with champions was back in the 90's when the ceramic would come loose and fall out, the tang held it from completely falling out and bouncing around in the cylinder-manufacturing glitch and have not run into that so far here in the 2000's.
I run autolite,ngk,champion..I used to run bosh platinum in my built slant.

And resistance? I'm more worried about the resistance in the wires than I am in my plugs.

I'm not shocked to see dan act like this
dan...you should be careful talkin like that to people cause one day somebody is gonna grab you by the beard and swing you around till it comes off.

A side note..
my buddy has a saying..
I'd rather be dead, then red on the head.

ha ha
even doug thinks you need cut this sht out.
thats why you'll never be in his bracket, besides him knowing more...he's also very approachable....oh yeah & he makes sense when he offers his take.

Now, now, people! Settle down before I make y'all hug and apologize in front of everybody.

Well it works in my classroom!

autolites had a better commercial,after i read this post i cant get it out of my head [hey,we are the autolites]

Its kinda hard to read spark plugs since they took the lead out of the gas 30 or 40 years ago, they are either light or dark. Ive never had any problems with Champion Spark Plugs but only run them in my Plymouth Barracuda which has 650 ish HP give or take a few, it seems to run pretty good.

cant help but chime in, first we still use a lot of Champion spark plugs in new Chrysler, Jeep & Dodge vehicles, all 5.7L Hemi's use a Champion plug, all 16 of them....

im the parts & service director in a large Chrysler,Jeep & Dodge dealer, I think i know....

will agree NGK is a good plug, but ND is much superior, however and I will repeat myself never use Bosch, the absolute worst garbage on the planet, will not run in a Chrysler product, dont ask me about AC delco dont drive or own a GM product and dont care....would have to really want to feed my family for me to work in GM dealership

from experince and unless you have raced, now bench racing with the boys on friday nites drinking cold ones, does not qualify

Champion race plugs in a Mopar are awsome!!!!!!!!!!!!

have run them in Mopar powered stock cars and drag cars since I was 15, now about to be 48, ouch, didnt think i was that old yet....

something else, if you didnt know, this is important, there are many qualities for spark plugs, brake pads etc, when you buy a Champion plug from a dealer it is probably not the same spark plug your buying from your local parts store, when Chrysler or any other manufacturer buys a product, the item is made to their specs, the same item sold in a generic parts store doesn not have to meet any standards except for a few exceptions

Dodge29

This poor guy only wanted to know what we thought of his plug reading, I think it looks good!
You guys are awsome I love all that feed back, it only comes from experience,
Oh Buy the way I think Toyo makes the best tire, bring it on!

I see many opinions here, but I haven't yet heard anyone say that NGK sucks. I think I'm going to give them a try and see what happens.

FYI, I have only ever run Champions and they have worked just fine for me.

cant help but chime in, first we still use a lot of Champion spark plugs in new Chrysler, Jeep & Dodge vehicles, all 5.7L Hemi's use a Champion plug, all 16 of them....

im the parts & service director in a large Chrysler,Jeep & Dodge dealer, I think i know....

will agree NGK is a good plug, but ND is much superior, however and I will repeat myself never use Bosch, the absolute worst garbage on the planet, will not run in a Chrysler product, dont ask me about AC delco dont drive or own a GM product and dont care....would have to really want to feed my family for me to work in GM dealership

from experince and unless you have raced, now bench racing with the boys on friday nites drinking cold ones, does not qualify

Champion race plugs in a Mopar are awsome!!!!!!!!!!!!

have run them in Mopar powered stock cars and drag cars since I was 15, now about to be 48, ouch, didnt think i was that old yet....

something else, if you didnt know, this is important, there are many qualities for spark plugs, brake pads etc, when you buy a Champion plug from a dealer it is probably not the same spark plug your buying from your local parts store, when Chrysler or any other manufacturer buys a product, the item is made to their specs, the same item sold in a generic parts store doesn not have to meet any standards except for a few exceptions

Dodge29

Hummm. Got some news for you. I put Bosch Platinum plugs in my 02 Dakota 4.7 and it runs better, and gets a little better fuel mileage. That is compared to the stock Champion plugs it had in it that had less than 30,000 miles on them. I only tried them cause I got the Bosch plugs for next to nothing and thought I'd give them a try. You know how it is, if you don't try something yourself you don't really know for sure cause you can read on the boards many differing opinions. I have no comment on the rest but the Bosch plugs worked great for me.

I have noticed on this board recently, there seems to be much more name calling than in the past. Why can't people give their opinions and leave it at that? I doubt most of the name callers would say sh*t with a mouth full of it if the person were in front of them. I have never had a problem being attacked by others on this board, but just gets old seeing others being spoken to in a derogatory manner. I hope this place isn't turning into Moparts.

Your tech instructor is an idiot if he really believes this..

Ignorant.

Like this?

yeah that was pretty rude, and like I said earlier about the beard swinging n such....

I have noticed on this board recently, there seems to be much more name calling than in the past. Why can't people give their opinions and leave it at that? I doubt most of the name callers would say sh*t with a mouth full of it if the person were in front of them. I have never had a problem being attacked by others on this board, but just gets old seeing others being spoken to in a derogatory manner. I hope this place isn't turning into Moparts.

Ive never had problems with Autolites.Thats what is in my 360 right now.I like NGK,but pretty pricey.To answer the thread starters question,your plug looks good and clean.You can find images of various plugs in your repair manuals or online that show different pictures of them with soaked oil ,carbon fouled,etc and the symptoms.Some are purists and if thier Mopar came from the factory with Champions,they stay with Champions,kinda like the Chevy/GM purists who want nothing but AC Delco parts in their cars,Motorcraft in Fords,etc.When we had the Dusters growing up,my dad insisted on nothing but Champion for plugs,and Mopar air filters,oil filters,lol. My lawnmower has a Champion plug,but thats another story =D
Different strokes for different folks is what im saying.Some brand of parts work for some people,some dont work.

hey 68, we routinely remove Bosch from a Chrysler products at least 2/3 times a week sometine more, we charge the customer between 2 and 3 hours to diagnose their engine miss and replace their newly installed Bosch spark plugs, hope people keep putting them in, more work for us
Dodge29

It looks to me like the plugs are fine. Maybe have your choke pull off a litle faster if you have one, if you dont, go one step hotter. I wouldnt change much else. In terms of brands, I will run Champions if I need to with stock ignitions but typically it's Autolites because they last better with multispark setups, if it's a race engine NGK V Grooves because I find them easier to read and available in a lot of configurations and heat ranges.

hey 68, we routinely remove Bosch from a Chrysler products at least 2/3 times a week sometine more, we charge the customer between 2 and 3 hours to diagnose their engine miss and replace their newly installed Bosch spark plugs, hope people keep putting them in, more work for us
Dodge29

LOL... Isn't that odd! They have been working great in mine for 30,000 + miles now.

-
Back