What do you think of this port job?

-

DadGum_Teen

Reaction score
This is for any port shop owners, or professionals, that may be lurking around. I bought a set of Chrysler J heads that were pulled off a race car. They were fully ported by some "famous" port guy named Kennedy, Kenneth, or McKinley, (something with a K, Mike McKinley maybe)? If you might know who I'm referring to, go ahead and throw out a name. I could have some good questions answered about the heads.

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone can get a rough idea on how the heads perform based on the curve work done. I hope I did not buy way too much head than what I really need. Because they are fully ported J heads, with the bigger 2.02/1.60 valves, and dual valve springs. I know it's hard to tell without an actual flow chart, but what would be an estimated operating rpm/cam size for this kind of head?

BTW, I do not have the money for them to be bench tested right now.

Here are the pictures.

P1010542.jpg

P1010531.jpg

P1010531.jpg

P1010542.jpg

Get much better pictures. Take the valves out, show chambers, etc.

The heads are already installed on the car, and it is my daily driver. So I can't really take them back off and show everything. I would of taken more photos but I never expected I would ask somebody online about how it looked. Here is the only other picture I found that would maybe help. Ignore glass and grease, it was during the CC measurements. If not a lot can be told by the three pictures, then just close down the thread. Thanks.

P1010624.jpg

P1010624.jpg

Not exactly sure what your looking for in an answer with them being already bolted on and on a daily driver.

If they are truely ported j head with good flow, the cam possibilities are endless. Its all in what you want or expect out of it.

If its a true daily driver and it were mine i would go with a solid mopar cam 284 dur. with .528 lift.

If its more of race engine looking for high hp i would go with a comp cams something along the line of .620-.630 lift.

Not enough in the pictures to take any kind of guess of flow rate.

just my .02 hopefully it helps some way or how.

I can tell they sunk the valve seats probably for spring height flexibility. They ran stock size (looks like 1.88?) tulip valves which IMO is not the best valve choice. The finish seems good, and they obviously have abit more port volume than they came with. Otherwise, cant tell much. We really need clear well lit pics preferably with measurements of port entries and minimum cross section.

-
Back