What does everyone do for a living?

-

Realest

gearhead 4 life
Reaction score
I thought it would be interesting to find out what my fellow MOPAR (a body) lovers do for a living.

I am a 3rd year Truck and Transport Apprentice, and I work at Freightliner dealership.

Well this is going to sound weird, but I drove my Mopars to GM for 17 years where I used to work. I went to work for them because there was more work than at Dodge. They had some great ideas tools etc, but the follow through and QOS sucked most of the time... :lurk:

Now for the past 15 years I am a computer analyst with my own consulting company. :love4:

I'm 19, working at a restaurant i hate right now. Attending UTI Orlando with a goal of all A's, perfect attendance and getting picked up through their MSAT program (BMW, Mercedes, Jaguar, Audi, Volvo all pick their new hires, well a very good portion through UTI). :D

Congrats Goody, I hope you get hired on with a good outfit.

I know RBM of Atlanta mercedes loves UTI guys.
I worked there as a tech for years.
They keep opening up new Benz dealerships down here left and right and are always looking for UTI guys.
I've got lots of connections here with the dealerships and could get you in the door somewhere no sweat.
Starting pay is usually around $17 to $20 an hour.

I am a mobile mercedes technician here in Atlanta.
I used my dealership experience as a stepping stone and started my own business doing Mercedes routine maintenance at the customers location.

The dealership copied off of me when they found out I was doing it, but my prices are much, much cheaper since I don't have all the overhead they do.

Here's my website. www.benzmobility.com
Don't forget to check out my photo albums.

John.

cudaspaz said:
Congrats Goody, I hope you get hired on with a good outfit.

I know RBM of Atlanta mercedes loves UTI guys.
I worked there as a tech for years.
They keep opening up new Benz dealerships down here left and right and are always looking for UTI guys.
I've got lots of connections here with the dealerships and could get you in the door somewhere no sweat.
Starting pay is usually around $17 to $20 an hour.

John.

Thats awesome John, Thank You very much. Thats definately reassuring. I just got started last week, 50weeks to go, 435am, 5days a week. :thumbup: :sleepy3: :)

Im in the police academy right now! Ill be a cop in May, I know you all like that!

Started out as a Millwright now I'm a Technical Field Service Rep. for Siemens Westinghouse (please no seaman jokes) and I instruct customers on overhauling existing turbines and compressors. I also manage the installation of new units all coming from our German factories (please no german jokes). I used to be with Delaval out of Trenton New Jersey before Siemens bought us out and now we've all been Siemenized (thats my joke).

PS, can you tell I've only got 2 yrs. left in this racket, I think the
Refineries are getting to me.

Terry

I worked at GM dealerships for close to 20 yrs. The last three
years I worked at an independant shop. I closed due to the slow
economy. Now I'm wrenching at a Honda dealership. I just hate
it. Had to much fun and made more money at the independant.
Been trying to get the former boss to reopen. He wont and I
can't afford to open my own. Wish I could retire. Oh well.

GoodysGotaCuda said:
Thats awesome John, Thank You very much. Thats definately reassuring. I just got started last week, 50weeks to go, 435am, 5days a week. :thumbup: :sleepy3: :)

They love new guys because you have not learned any bad habits yet.

You will probably bump around from shop to shop until you find one you really like.
Most guys do that after a few years at one shop.
Once you get the hang of the vehicles and become familiar, you can shop around for better pay, location, whatever.

Most of the older techs have been ran off because they like the young , fresh guys.
1. Because they don't require as much pay as the the 30 year techs.
2. You are not set in your ways yet and your brain is like a sponge.
3. They can mould you into the kind of tech they want you to be.
4. You can be pushed around a little more than the veterans.
5. You look and smell better than that those old farts. Ha, ha.

They send you to school at least once a year for updates, especially if you are really good at electrical systems and diagnosis.
Then they will send you more than the other guys.

My brother in law was one of those guys who could almost look at at the car and fix it when it came to weird wiring stuff.
They were sending him to school to learn the new stuff and they would just give him all the problem cars because they were too cheap to send the other 150 techs for the same class.

Good luck Goody.
It's a good program.

I work for a motorhome company. I am in the recieving department. built them for 3 years and decided it was time for a change.

i run my own classic/muscle car shop here in oakland. it has its ups and downs, but it beats my retail management position i left to do this. i do some ford, alot of gm(hey, it pays the bills and i know who is and who isn't faster than me) and a good amount of mopars. i have quite a few cops from opd that are continuously good customers and help keep an eye on the shop for me.

good luck, goody.....i have a fresh graduate from wyotech with me now and he's doing great.

Been a Dodge Master tech for about 21 years and at the same Dealer. I did work 6 years at a Ford dealer (74 to 80) and 6 years at an independent shop (80 to 86) and have been at this Dodge dealer here in Balt Md for 21 years. My dream is for my brother and I to open our own muscle car restoration shop. Ron

70Duster440 said:
I have a film/video production company.

Talk to rumblefish. He said he might get back into making **** films. :thumbup:

I was trained as an auto mechanic just out of high school in the early 1970's but got tired of being the free mechanic for all of the cars in the family so I went to work for a farm equipment mfr. & ended up being a spray painter. Did that for a year & a half & was laid off & went to a different mfr. & painted for another 7+ years while also doing a stint as a greasy Harley rider. :evil4: The farm economy took a dump & the heavy partying :drinkers: started to take it's toll :vom: so I went back to college :book: where I met my future wife. Now I'm trained as a Radiologic Technologist (that's the fancy name for an X-ray Tech) but we have 4 kids so I'm a stay at home dad. My wife works & I run the kids to school, Doctor's appts., do the grocery shopping etc., & spend too much money on cars. I'm also getting fat!

:burnout:

I am a union steel framer here in san jose, right now we're doing a 5 story set of three condos near the shark tank down town. I also work in a mens drug rehab facility 2 nights a week, and one weekend a month, keeps me from doin the ignorant stuff I used to do.

cudaspaz said:
They love new guys because you have not learned any bad habits yet.

You will probably bump around from shop to shop until you find one you really like.
Most guys do that after a few years at one shop.
Once you get the hang of the vehicles and become familiar, you can shop around for better pay, location, whatever.

Most of the older techs have been ran off because they like the young , fresh guys.
1. Because they don't require as much pay as the the 30 year techs.
2. You are not set in your ways yet and your brain is like a sponge.
3. They can mould you into the kind of tech they want you to be.
4. You can be pushed around a little more than the veterans.
5. You look and smell better than that those old farts. Ha, ha.

They send you to school at least once a year for updates, especially if you are really good at electrical systems and diagnosis.
Then they will send you more than the other guys.

My brother in law was one of those guys who could almost look at at the car and fix it when it came to weird wiring stuff.
They were sending him to school to learn the new stuff and they would just give him all the problem cars because they were too cheap to send the other 150 techs for the same class.

Good luck Goody.
It's a good program.

Hmmm good to know, does it 'pay' to be the better guy at electronics. Or does it make for more hassle because they wont send all they should to the classes? Do you know of any way to get some sort of 'pull' to a location, or is it just wherever they want? I have my girlfriend who is still in vegas in nursing school for another couple semesters, much rather get vegas, or the west coast atleast if I could.

Thanks! :thumbup:

Retired Union Ironworker started when I got out of school and did it untill I lost my knees.

Just got my 40 year pin.

Last job was the new Blue Water Bridge that connected the USA to Canada.

Miss the work as it brought in good money but have more time with the Mopars now.

Thanks,

I have spent most of my working years (not much more than 10 of those so far) in the transportation industry, whether it be a dispatcher for a trucking company, a driver, broker, lumper. I am now working in the materials distribution department for the areas largest hospital, ensuring that the nurses are kept in a steady flow of bandaids and bed pans.

I'm a Civil Engineering Designer. I do the site layouts for stuff like commercial retail centers, residential developments, etc. I design all the water, sewer, roads, storm drains, sediment & erosion control, stormwater management, and site grading in AutoCAD. Been playing w/ it for over 15 years now.

for a mid sized computer Technology and Services firm here in NY.

Geeting ready to retire next January and spend half the year in Florida.

Will bring the Dart down there with me.

Well I joined the Amry right outa high school in 85. Worked as a supply specilist for 21 years. Just retired. So for the next few weeks I will do the stay at home dad, do the dishes, laundry and work on the Swinger. Between all that I will be fixing wife's van, my DD and play with the 04 Ram.

I was an RV tech for the areas largest RV dealer for years, then moved on to a Gm dealership as a service tech (Goody, it's all diagnostic). After that I fullfilled my childhood dream of becoming a Firefighter/Paramedic. IAFF local 3046.

-
Back