What does it cost?

Members Restorations

1. Fisher

Fisher Old Guy with a Cool car.

Local Time:
    12:37 AM
    Well for me i do try to do as much of the work as i can and feel comfortable doing. I have learned 2 things, Horse power and body work and pant are not cheap. lol I blew the entire car apart, and assembled everything in my garage over a 4 year period, i just subbed out the stuff i wasn't comfortable with or had the skill set to do correctly. You cant build cars for nothing like you could back in the day.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • barbee6043

barbee6043 barbee 6043 FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
      12:37 AM
      Cheapest way to build our old cars is to start with as complete a car as possible, and as straight and rust free as can. Pay a little more . Like jst said, everything we do is expensive. But a good paint job can be done by anyone that wants to learn and can acquire the needed equipment. Good primers/paints are there and yes expensive but do not cost $1000 a gal.
      A $45 spray gun dos not have the same capability of a $800 gun, but a guy can shoot plenty go with the cheap gun.
      A $600 mig welder will do any body work and anyone can be taught to weld.
      Anyone can learn engine bulding. Better yet find a way to get a good running engine CHEAP and make it better CHEAP as possible. Deep pockets , just buy the best of everything when you do not need the best!
      Bodywork? Hard nasty work, that is why shops charge. Anyone can learn if they want. Mess up? Just redo it and fix it!! Are you anal retentive? Just pay a shop to do it and make it all perfect!! !!!??? lol

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Mike69barracuda

Mike69barracuda Well-Known Member

Local Time:
        1:37 AM
        Update. Decided entire car gets new RM Diamont paint ($450 per quart). All the AMd sheet metal cost me $$1,800. Both new qtrs, spare tire well and the trunk dropoffs. Paint, welding, other materials are coming to $6,500 grand total. My guy has been doing collision and restoration work for 50 years and he's a Mopar guy and owner of 3 ea. 1962 Fury's. 1st picture is current state before going in for some love. The others are happening to my car now. I'm limited on how many pictures I can upload. You get the picture/process.

parade of the 69.jpg

DSCN5983.JPG

DSCN5984.JPG

DSCN5985.JPG

DSCN5986.JPG

DSCN5987.JPG

DSCN6461.JPG

DSCN6458.JPG

DSCN6088.JPG

20190913_095530.jpg

• RAT ROD AL

RAT ROD AL I know just enough to be dangerous FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
        1:37 AM
        Or you can run wanted ads for NOS parts for every part on the car and have 100 G in a 25 G car when your done.

• Like Like x 1
        1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
          By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.