• MOD shoot.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 242
  • MOD shoot 16.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 216
  • MOD shoot13.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 147
  • MOD shoot 2.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 156
Below is a link to Mel Major's criteria for cars displayed under the Survivor Tent's during Chrysler's @ Carlisle & Mopar National's. As you can see there is little room for stretching the word "Survivor". Click on the link at the very bottom of my post for a GOOD example.

Mel Major's Mopar Survivor Rules

My 1981 Imperial with 15,300 miles, original Paint, original interior, ORIGINAL TIRES still has factory air in them so that is original too, was invited to Carlisle to be in the survivor tent in 2007, a true survivor.

A car that has made it thru the years and is still a decent car. Mainly original

When I need to repair the brake calipers on the Imperial I got a kit to rebuild the original ones instead of going the cheap route and replacing them, yes it was cheaper to get rebuilt at auto zone than the rebuild kit. When the one AC hose had a leak went to Chrysler to buy the replacement.

Car looks like new

At the Mecum auction a few years back had a 67 Vette coupe 427/435. HP that needed a paint job, but was concidered a survivor and bidding went way up but not to the reserve. Some people like the patina of a good used survivor.

The only original once.

My 1967 Coronet convertible was nice. Needed a paint job but in 1996 when I bought it it still had the original interior and paint, when I sold it was the same way. Many ask why I didn't paint it, well if I painted it then the next guy wouldn't know just how nice it was. Had I planned on keeping it I would have painted it. It was just the car I drove while the dart was down and before my Prowler came in.

And yes, The corvette community copyrighted the term SURVIVOR and I have heard were they went after people for using their term

BULLSHIT

I don't consider mileage in surviving. A more modern example but I saw a car - a Shelby Duster (the turbo FWD deal). When it was retired it was well over 350,000. It had a replaced clutch, axles, tires, struts, brakes, and I think some front end parts. It had a few dings and dents and the driver's seat was a bit worn but the owner was an on-the-road salesman. Other than wear parts it was 100% as delivered and nobody pulled the interior parts or messed with bodywork. That is a survivor to me.

'Survivor car' means you'll have to talk the seller down to a fair/reasonable price if you're going to buy it. Nothing more.

Glenn

This was a survivor..

All original, 34K miles. last owner put radials on it but still has bias ply spare. Under dash radio. No work on engine or body.

HPIM5411a-XL.jpg

How about "Survived the tests of time."

Did the body, paint, interior, wiring, suspension, and drivetrain survive?

This is to say; Does each aspect function as originally intended?

Functions;

Body - Hold true to it's design/ shape and assembly

Paint - Look appealing, seal the body from the elements, including add-ons.

Interior - Instruments serve as intended, upholstery is presentable and clean as it's design intended to be

Wiring - Carry correct voltage and function, with correct fitment and finish

Suspension - Ride, handle, hold true and seal

Drivetrain - Run in good tune, operate correctly, seal and carry the correct finish

Maintenance components were intended to be replaced as needed, so doing things, like changing them out for the correct ones, shouldn't be considered to affect it's status as as a survivor, however, each component changed is only original once, including the oil in the crank case, grease dobs on battery terminals and air in the tires, if we're talking about forensics, here. Those things have very little impact on a survivor status, IMO.

Each aspect of the car has a toll on its percentage of survival rate. It's really that simple and not a very difficult analysis.

I don't know if I can "survive" the end of this thread....

-
Back