What does this fit

-

Nite Moves

Reaction score
I have a tranny splash sheild. Have no idea what it fits. 904/727 318...340..360..BB????????? I couldnt find any #s on it. Real good condition. Any help is great..Thanks

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    144.3 KB · Views: 177
I disagree and say it is for a stick shift bell housing since there is no inspection plate to get to the torque converter bolts.
SOrry Kim

Measure the 2 small bottom bolt holes center to center,the distance will tell me the tranny if its a small block or big block,it does look like a big block inspection cover,as the small block is only about 3.0 inches,mrmopartech

...............Scott ur thinking is *** backwards..........bb have the extra seperate shim piece that fits behind the starter...........late 70s is when the sb plate lost the removeable section between the 2 lower bolts as the torque converter lost the drain plug so the inspection cover didnt need it any longer..........................kim..............

727... the 2 5/8 bolt holes are staggered and the 2 1/4 bolt holes are too far apart for a 904

I disagree and say it is for a stick shift bell housing since there is no inspection plate to get to the torque converter bolts.
SOrry Kim

Sorry but your mistaken. Kim's right, it's a sb auto trans. inspection cover. Very few I've saw had that small inspection cover.

It's super easy to tell a SB from a BB inspection cover. BB inspection covers were only held on by 4 little 1/4" bolts and as Kim said the starter plate is independent of the inspection cover. SB covers had the large bolts going through them for the engine to trans. support brackets and the starter passed through them.

It's super easy to tell a SB from a BB inspection cover. BB inspection covers were only held on by 4 little 1/4" bolts and as Kim said the starter plate is independent of the inspection cover. SB covers had the large bolts going through them for the engine to trans. support brackets and the starter passed through them.

It is a small block but theres a difference from 904SB to a 727SB
And i sure looks like a 727SB in this pic

Attachments

• 727 cover.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 127
...............Scott ur thinking is *** backwards..........bb have the extra seperate shim piece that fits behind the starter...........late 70s is when the sb plate lost the removeable section between the 2 lower bolts as the torque converter lost the drain plug so the inspection cover didnt need it any longer..........................kim..............
Correct, late S.B. 727 without a converter drain plug.

It is a 727. You can tell them apart by the large hole for the bracket below the starter. 904's have a large bump in the cover for that hole. and also the starter holes are at more of and angle. 727 the starter holes are more straight up and down. just and easy way to tell. without both side by side to compare. The one pictured above is for use with either converter. You can see it has a wide arc for either bolt circle.

Below are the three different transmission covers. There are also different covers for different years as far a appearance and application. But the holes per trans are all the same. Both auto covers pictured have the narrow arc for torque converter bolt clearance. the second pic is of a 904 wide arc indent.

Top is 4 spd

second is 727

third is 904

Just some more pics for reference for the site

Attachments

• DSCF0062.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 107
  • DSCF0063.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 106
-
Back