What effect does putting a shorter muffler on have on sound?

-

abodylurker

Reaction score
I'm looking at buying some Dynomax Ultra flo's for my car and it takes a replacement that is a 19" body length. But I can buy one that is 14" in body length with the exact inlet and outlet and since I am putting new headpipes on anyways, the 79$ price vs. $160 looks pretty good. But how much is this going to have on the sound on a 350+ horse 360? Not a stroker. My fear is that it might be like in the days of glasspacks, I ran 24" for a mellow tone but a buddy always ran 12" and they were a lot louder and obnoxious. My thought is that the 5" difference isn't going to make that much of a difference in this kind of a muffler but I don't want to hate it when done. Any thoughts, experience, or knowledge of a cheaper place than Summit that you would like to share is appreciated.

I thought dynomax had video links with audio on they're different muffs I'd Youtube it or call them and ask. I would think in general shorter would equate louder but it's the internals (baffling,sound absorbing, channeling) that play a major role in both performance and audible output.

Louder, less muffler for sound control.

What it comes down to is that it's impossible to put "more muffle" into "less space." I wish I knew what was "exactly the same" as the old 69/ 70 RR 383-440 etc etc mufflers were. Those sounded great. They WERE however, large and heavy, but they lasted "forever."

The smaller the louder. Longer and larger = quieter, especially when packed with acoustic absorption material.

What it comes down to is that it's impossible to put "more muffle" into "less space." I wish I knew what was "exactly the same" as the old 69/ 70 RR 383-440 etc etc mufflers were. Those sounded great. They WERE however, large and heavy, but they lasted "forever."

try e bay item 141672719631...these guys sell a lot of exhaust systems at great prices.
I have the '69 Dart 340 system and it is very close if not identical to the originals.
...fit and price were great!

-
Back