what engine do i have?

-

DartorDemon

Banned
Reaction score
I pulled these casting numbers off of the my supposed 340 that was swapped into my duster

340- should be cast in the side. Casting #'s for 340 blocks are 2780930-340 for '68-'73.
Casting dates of late '67 also.
The TA340 block # 3577130TA-340.

I don't have the number you have listed, my best guess is it's newer then '73.

welll i guess its a good news/bad new scenario. I took a picture and as it turns out i had miswritten a number on the engine block.

4006830-360-9

A quick google search turned it up as being a 71-89 360.

So, bad news is that its not a 340, good news is that i now have more of a reason to look into a new hemi/magnum swap.

welll i guess its a good news/bad new scenario. I took a picture and as it turns out i had miswritten a number on the engine block.

4006830-360-9

So, bad news is that its not a 340, good news is that i now have more of a reason to look into a new hemi/magnum swap.
I am with you I would the hemi swap before the 360. Mark

yeah, but a magnum 360 is a better starting point. Plus as is the car feels kinda gutless. I'm gonna check compression next and see where i'm at.
You already have the 360,rebuild the bottom end and through some heads and an intake on it.It will perform good then.:cheers:

You already have the 360,rebuild the bottom end and through some heads and an intake on it.It will perform good then.:cheers:

How much would that run me though? I just wonder if a magnum 360 swap would be a cheaper alternative.

How much would that run me though? I just wonder if a magnum 360 swap would be a cheaper alternative.

what exactly do ya want outta of the car?? your all over the place. first it was a 340.. well its a 360 so its no good?. Then it was a new Hemi, now its i want a 360 magnum.. there is no reason a LA360 wouldn't run damn good for you. hell i have a box stock 48,000 mile 1974 360 in my dart right now with a 2.94 geat and its damn peppy.. not sure what you mean that your 360 is a slug right now.. maybe there is something wrong with the motor you have now, maybe you have it tuned all wrong. who knows. but a stock magnum 360 really won't be any better then a stock LA 360. the LA360 you have is a great starting point. you have to decide what you want from the car.

4006830-360-9

I agree that discovering a 360 when you expected and probably paid for a 340 is bad news, but from an investment point only. Good news is you have 20 extra cubic inches for free!

That 360 will run as hard as you want. Given equal treatment as to heads, cam, intake and exhaust, there will be little difference to the 340, in fact the longer stroke will out torque the 340. As to a Magnum or new hemi swap, don't use the word "cheap" when you consider either option. LA360 can run hard as well and there are aftermarket heads that will outperform Magnum heads. Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?

what exactly do ya want outta of the car?? your all over the place. first it was a 340.. well its a 360 so its no good?. Then it was a new Hemi, now its i want a 360 magnum.. there is no reason a LA360 wouldn't run damn good for you. hell i have a box stock 48,000 mile 1974 360 in my dart right now with a 2.94 geat and its damn peppy.. not sure what you mean that your 360 is a slug right now.. maybe there is something wrong with the motor you have now, maybe you have it tuned all wrong. who knows. but a stock magnum 360 really won't be any better then a stock LA 360. the LA360 you have is a great starting point. you have to decide what you want from the car.

I was under the impression that like most engines from the mid-late 70s/early 80s, it was junk.

What i'd like to see out of the car is low 12s N/A on a street car suspension setup.

The slug part comes from switching between my duster and my DD truck. My DD truck feels a lot faster and it only runs 16s in the 1/4

I was under the impression that like most engines from the mid-late 70s/early 80s, it was junk.

Low compression, yes. Junk, no. None of that really matters when you will be replacing components in a rebuild anyway……

Most of these guys on here that are running 12s, 11s, 10s…….. With a 360 or a 360 based stroker are using one of those "so called" 70s-80s junk engines.

I agree with DD72, build a monster 408 stroker and slap on a 6pk. It wont be cheap but It will be worth it.

What i'd like to see out of the car is low 12s N/A on a street car suspension setup.

The slug part comes from switching between my duster and my DD truck. My DD truck feels a lot faster and it only runs 16s in the 1/4

they were lower compression yes. but there are a ton of pistons made for a la motor. my dart was going 12.2 with a best of a 12.17 with a standard stroke 360

they were lower compression yes. but there are a ton of pistons made for a la motor. my dart was going 12.2 with a best of a 12.17 with a standard stroke 360

hmm, well i would still need to get another 360 block to do a rebuild because i don't have a garage/spot to keep a car without an engine for a long period of time. But thats if my engine fails the compression test i do tomorrow.

In any case i guess knowing the info from this thread would make it cheaper because i could find any LA 360 from a u-pull-it for a low price and go from there. Instead of springing for the more expensive magnum engine.

A 408 stroker would be nice, but i think its a bit above my price range.

a 408 is above your price range but a hemi swap isnt?

a 408 can be built for a decent price.

any build will cost you money if you want it done right and even more so if you cant do the work yourself.

so it would be worth the extra bit to go the extra mile....just my .02

A new hemi swap will cost WAY more than 360 stroker build even if deck out the 360. The 6.1 L hemis with the harnesses are going for upwards of ten gs. Shoot, you could probably build a 500 horse 360 stroker and throw in a brand new tranny for less than just the motor for a 6.1 Hemi UNLESS you can score one out of a wrecked car. Don't forget, your gonna have to put a new fuel system in WITH the Hemi, plus change the radiator and all that too. Its not as straight forward as it sounds. A mild stroker can be done on the cheap especially if you put it together your self and don't be afraid to dive in with it, its not as hard as it sounds, your just go step by step and PAY ATTENTION. Doing the work yourself is by far more rewarding anyway.

A new hemi swap will cost WAY more than 360 stroker build even if deck out the 360. The 6.1 L hemis with the harnesses are going for upwards of ten gs. Shoot, you could probably build a 500 horse 360 stroker and throw in a brand new tranny for less than just the motor for a 6.1 Hemi UNLESS you can score one out of a wrecked car. Don't forget, your gonna have to put a new fuel system in WITH the Hemi, plus change the radiator and all that too. Its not as straight forward as it sounds. A mild stroker can be done on the cheap especially if you put it together your self and don't be afraid to dive in with it, its not as hard as it sounds, your just go step by step and PAY ATTENTION. Doing the work yourself is by far more rewarding anyway.

well i was thinking 5.7 if i went with the new hemi swap. Getting one from a wrecked hemi truck is 1/10th the cost of a brand new 6.1 hemi.

But apparently i need to a read up a little more as i was unaware of the fuel system issue.

-
Back