what fluid type to run 727 4k stall

-

360moparjunkie

Reaction score
What type of fluid to run with my 727? Fresh rebuild on the 727. Converter is a Hughes 4k. The converter instructions mention using a good quality type F, but I'm not sure thats alright for the trans. Trans dipstick says to use dextron which seems correct to me.

What are you running with good results?

Many thanks.

Attachments

• 1421116049943.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 362
use the best....Walmart Type F

Sounds affordable. I really dont want to spend 150.00 on lucas synthetic or other. Is the type F better than the dextron? Seems type F was for older stuff. Guess my stuff is older
Type F....really?

Been using it for years in our 904s that go up and down the track

I'm no oil guru by any means but if I understand it correctly the main difference between type F and Dexron is Type F has less friction modifiers. Less friction modifiers allow the clutches and bands to grab better so the trans will shift a little stiffer. Either one will work fine in your trans

Why do these threads always pop up just when I get back from Wally World getting.....ATF lol, I got the Dexron though for my DD. For high stall/racing stuff we use Pennzoil Hydrastatic Tractor fluid but only know of a few people using it for street use, I cant take a gamble on my DD so I stick with the "dipstick recommendation" lol.

I use dexron for years, both will work the F is said to make the shifts firmer while the dexron is said to be a bit better at low and hi temp lubrication.

All great responses....even the correct spelling of dexron one. Lol.
Type F is what its getting.
Thank you fabo members!

F is for Ford and friction.
If rebuilding your trans at earlier intervals is what your after, then by all means go for it.

Go with a good ATF+4.

Type F since the 80's.

I'm with Tony, Wally world works great even though I hate the place. 3.49 a quart last week when I bought it.

This!

If you can't find it then the type F walmart sells will work fine!

I have used Type F in my 65 Newport for decades since I heard it gives firmer shifts (less clutch plate wear). For daily drivers, ATF+4 should also be OK since recommended for the A-413 tranny in my 96 Voyager, which is the same internal Torqueflite design (other than added differential). Most ATF+4 brands are fully synthetic.

Actually any ATF will work.......just pick which brand or type you want...

-
Back