What Hand Soap do you guys use?

-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I started out with fast Orange but it makes a mess around the sink and when I am working with brake/ clutch dust, it takes a few applications to cut the mess completely.

There have been times I used fast orange and then went to scrub with something else like dish detergent or even TIDE laundry deferent to finish.

The problem with either dish detergent or laundry detergent .....particularly with the latter is that it leaves hands dry and can really burn a cut which almost a given when doing a days work on a car.

Well recently my dad told me that when he was young and working on his old hot rods, wayyyyyy before I was born, he always used LAVA soap.

At first I was skeptical with the Bar soap format. I used it a twice to realize it was superior in my books to the other modes of cleaners.

So now I use it religiously and put a bar in my bathroom and I love the pumice powered smell.

what does FABO use and like out there???

Attachments

• CIMG5217.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 385
  • CIMG5218.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 365
  • CIMG5219.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 254
I keep coming back to Dawn dishwashing detergent.

Orange Goop or orange Go-Jo with pumice.... :cheers:

My buddy just got some free samples of some new stuff called "Muck Daddy" that I haven't tried yet... :evil3:

Then follow up with lava soap.

Then hand soap....

Dish soap is also good (Dawn, Joy, Ajax, etc...)... :color:

Don't get your hands too wet before using the Goop or Go-Jo, it works much better when you put it on dry first and then scrub real good.

Then go over with Lava soap, and end with a hand soap...

If the dirt is still hanging on after that, it's "clean dirt" and good enough to eat with... :D

Rainy, you brought back memories of Lava soap! My dad also used it and all I remember as a kid was it working VERY well. I think I'm going to pick some up! I have been using Gojo for awhile.

Back in the 1970's, in my high school auto shop class, they had a wall mounted pump dispenser with the jell/cream-like mechanic's soap. One time they used a refill that was advertised with ammonia! That stuff would really sting if you had any small cuts. I thought the addition of ammonia in a hand soap was insane. Haven't seen that stuff since.

Boraxo, the powdered soap, still the best, and less drying to your skin than some other products. By the way it helps clear up acne too. Hard to find anymore. Amazon or Office Depot has it. Best deal is 5 lb cardboard box, best to fill a smaller waterproof container to use at your sink.

Back in the day, gas stations had wall-mounted dispensers for powdered soap, it would be cool to find an old one and put it to use again.

I have always used Fast Orange with pumice in the 1/2 gallon pump bottle. #25219 Loctite/Permatex

The non-pumice goop feels slimy like worms.... ewwww......

You have it, Rani.Lava hand soap bar,for the nasty stuff. As Rob/RRR said, Dawn cuts the mild stuff wonderfully. Sold /used Fast Orange,.. always preferred old school hand soap ,with lanolin.Washing away from the kitchen sink,helps.

Boraxo, the powdered soap.
Back in the day, gas stations had wall-mounted dispensers for powdered soap, it would be cool to find an old one and put it to use again.

Now that's reaching pretty far back in my memory there. I forgot all about them chrome
contraptions that would jingle.
They were pretty cool. You would just bump the plunger on the bottom and the powder
would fall into your hand. The old continuous cloth roll towel dispenser also came to mind.

Another Dawn user here. Lava works well, but also leaves a mess in the sink.

Another thing I've only recently done is to wear gloves during the heavier, dirtiest part of car repairs to help prevent grinding that greasy mix into my skin. The gloves are knitted fabric with a rubberized facing on the fingers and palm and I'm amazed how easy it is to work with them. They fit tight enough that I can pick up very small parts and feel what I'm doing with my fingers.

The best part is they are not all that expensive. A dozen pair will cost $30-$40 and they do a good job of protecting your hands from the usual grime and abrasions.

i use the store brand dish soap. I have used fast orange, but it sucked

I have found that the old spice shower soap cuts grease better then anything i have ever tried.

First wash is gojo/fast orange or similar followed by light generic dish soap.

Don't wet hands first if using liquid with pumice.

Almost cant lose with that 2 step process.

Step one gets the difficult stuff.

Step 2 gets the residuals.

Dish washing detergent and a green scrub pad.

If sticky gummy stuff like tar, acetone then dishwashing detergent.

Boraxo, the powdered soap, still the best, and less drying to your skin than some other products. By the way it helps clear up acne too. Hard to find anymore. Amazon or Office Depot has it. Best deal is 5 lb cardboard box, best to fill a smaller waterproof container to use at your sink.

I'll second Boraxo. I've been using it for as long as I can remember. But it has gotten very hard to find and I also had to get it off Amazon.

I don't know about an old one, but they still make them new. Here's another source. Check here.

You can even still get Boraxo!

-
Back