What have I broken? No horn & no flashers.

-

AussieDart

Reaction score
Hello, I would really appreciate any help with the following.
Recently I removed and then reinstalled the steering column in my 68 Plymouth Valiant, it is a column shift auto. I have obviously broken something. Now my horn does not work, one of my friends seems to think that this may be an earth issue. Also my turn signal indicators do not work. And to make things even more confusing my emergency flashers were not working. I swapped out the flasher relay and now the emergency flashers work but I still don't have any turn signals!!

Ground and/or fuses.

Check all the fuses first. Then your mounting points of the column to the floor and dash. I'm sure something grounds through those. Take a test light and see if the column is grounded, as well as the harness ground point up on the radiator support.
The horn is just a hot wire with a grounded switch. If you can run a 12v to the actual horn, and it works, but the button doesnt, I bet the column is poorly grounded. I had my column loose last weekend and same thing. Horn would only chirp. Bolted it back up, problem solved.

Recently I removed and then reinstalled the steering column in my 68 Plymouth Valiant, it is a column shift auto. I have obviously broken something. Now my horn does not work, one of my friends seems to think that this may be an earth issue. Also my turn signal indicators do not work. And to make things even more confusing my emergency flashers were not working. I swapped out the flasher relay and now the emergency flashers work but I still don't have any turn signals!!

US based LHD Valiant?
IF so, you can download an FSM with the wiring diagrams.
use them to make a schematic.

Horn is powered through a relay.
The steering column switch trips the relay. The relay connects the battery to the horns.
1967 Relay connects horns to battery from the output stud on the alternator. No fuse.
1968 might be there, or they might have moved it.

Emergency Flashers (hazzards) and Turn signals: Each uses their own flasher.
Hazzards & Stop lights get the positive power from a fuse that is always hot.
Turn signal gets power only when key switch is in run or accessory position. No fuse, at least in '67.

See if there is power to the turn signal flasher with key on.
The flashers are bimetalic strips that move when heated by current flowing through them. no current flow, no heat, no flashing.

Ground and/or fuses.

Check all the fuses first. Then your mounting points of the column to the floor and dash. I'm sure something grounds through those. Take a test light and see if the column is grounded, as well as the harness ground point up on the radiator support.
The horn is just a hot wire with a grounded switch. If you can run a 12v to the actual horn, and it works, but the button doesnt, I bet the column is poorly grounded. I had my column loose last weekend and same thing. Horn would only chirp. Bolted it back up, problem solved.
Thanks for the advice.

US based LHD Valiant?
IF so, you can download an FSM with the wiring diagrams.
use them to make a schematic.

Horn is powered through a relay.
The steering column switch trips the relay. The relay connects the battery to the horns.
1967 Relay connects horns to battery from the output stud on the alternator. No fuse.
1968 might be there, or they might have moved it.

Emergency Flashers (hazzards) and Turn signals: Each uses their own flasher.
Hazzards & Stop lights get the positive power from a fuse that is always hot.
Turn signal gets power only when key switch is in run or accessory position. No fuse, at least in '67.

See if there is power to the turn signal flasher with key on.
The flashers are bimetalic strips that move when heated by current flowing through them. no current flow, no heat, no flashing.
Thanks I will check it out.

-
Back