What have I gotten myself into?

-

DaveZee

SoCal Mopar Guy
Reaction score
Is it just me, or is the 66 Dart the red-headed step-child of A-Bodies? :cwm10: Everywhere I look, there are parts available for 67 and up, but finding 66 parts is like pulling teeth. Everything from emblems, to weatherstripping, to gas caps... Very frustrating.

Ya, hate to say it but.... Welcome to the early A's. Believe it or not it is getting better and easier in finding new parts.

Lee

Man its not just you.
Red-headed stepchild is right!

Is there something in particular you are looking for? Autobody Specialties just recently added body parts for our cars to their catalog, and certain items can be found if you really look, but you are right - there is a huge increase in parts availability when you hit 67.

I need a whole laundry list of stuff:
Complete weatherstrip set, including the window channels
The big GT emblems
Trunk liner
Package tray
Gas Cap
Antenna
window crank handles
An aftermarket radio that looks good that fits in the existing dash holes
Headers
four barrel intake and carb

I know I can get a few of these things at Year One, but most I can't find...

Welcome to the 66 A body world. :) I've been looking for years for things like gas cap and radio antenna. Of course a lots of those years was before FABO. If you put your wish list in here, someone will eventually have something for you.

I'm with you there! 66 Darts are by themselves in many ways but hey, we like to be different! I've got a 66 GT 273 and They only built 1200 or so with a 4-speed. I'm glad 66's are so odd. Seaching for parts is the fun part. You have to be patient. E-bay has been helpful. So has Laysons Restorations. I've gotten a package shelf, trunk mat and weatherstripping from them. They also have gas caps available. They have been great to deal with and are good about e-mail
responses to your questions. We 66 Dart owners have to help each other out!
Mike

Don't feel bad, hunting parts is part of the hobby and part of the adventure! If you don't want that kind of adventure, buy a Mustang.

Any early A-body gas cap should work.

Places like Layson's (very expensive and slow), Gary Goers - http://www.garygoers.com Steele Rubber Products at http://www.steelerubber.com have stuff for us.

Be sure to check out the EVBC Forum too, lots of early A-body people there with lots of good leads and information http://www.enbcom.com/board

antennas are hard to find, I use a $12 Canadian Tire special.

There's a 273 commando intake on ebay right now, grab it if you can!

Item number: 8030683165

emergency.jpg

65s-

I had 2 Mustangs (66 and 71) so maybe that's why I'm used to finding parts! :)

Thanks everyone for the advice on where to look. I'm just glad that I wasn't missing an obvious place...

There are very few cars like mine around where I live, and I mostly rely on ebay or the internet to get parts. BUT, I got involved in my local Mopar club and have met lots of people. Through the club I've found a few people with parts, in fact some of my greatest parts scores have been local guys that used to own a car like mine years ago and were looking to unload their spare parts now!

The nice thing about finding parts locally is you can inspect them and you don't have to pay shipping costs!

DaveZee said:
The big GT emblems
Trunk liner
Package tray
Gas Cap
Antenna
window crank handles
Headers

I have a complete set of door handles and window cranks out of a 66.

John
[email protected]

Your preachin' to the choir here, but it is rewarding. You will not likely see yourself going down the road however. I have kept my eyes on ebay for parts and there also is a yard in the California desert that has several 66's. It is pearsonville auto wrecking. I will look for thier contact info and post it for you.

DaveZee said:
Is it just me, or is the 66 Dart the red-headed step-child of A-Bodies? :cwm10: Everywhere I look, there are parts available for 67 and up, but finding 66 parts is like pulling teeth. Everything from emblems, to weatherstripping, to gas caps... Very frustrating.

were not the red headed stepchild, were the one the redheaded stepchild beats on

DaveZee said:
I shot them an email. I'll post what they respond.

Here's the response:

sorry cant help you.
DJ
Pearson's Auto Wrecking & Hubcap Store
236 Pearson Road
Pearsonville, CA 93527
(760) 377-4585
(760) 377-5446 (fax)
[email protected]

:wack:

Sorry DaveZee, I bought a fender from them last summer and I know that they had 2 66 darts because they gave me my choice of colors and I saw pics of the cars. Must be lazy.

No worries. I'll still find the parts I want. Just won't be from them! :)

Ive got a 66 dart GT parts car, and a couple of 65s, so maybe i can help. I live in AR. I never knew the gas caps were rare.

The big GT emblems
Trunk liner
Package tray
Gas Cap
Antenna
window crank handles
Headers

PG Classics out of Canada makes new window and door cranks and they are reasonable, they have a store on ebay...

I have some of the items on your list,will get back later with what I have
The big GT emblems
Trunk liner
Package tray
Gas Cap
Antenna
window crank handles
Headers

Ok I have the gt emblems.....not no beauty queens.....10$ and a few of the post style am/fm stereo's that are new in the box from phase linear(made by jensen) 75$ and some early a window crank's (none are pefect but driver condition) 5$ each shipping is what it is and is seperate

-
Back