what have you done that someone would think you are CRAZY?

-

WildCat

Reaction score
Tonight I flushed the cooling system on my Prowler. After getting the antifreeze and then the chemical flush all over the aluminum frame and R&P, figured I should wash it off. With the car on the lift I got the soapy bucket of water and hose out to wash it off.

Then after spraying it down and all the water dripping off everything and not wanting to get completely soaked (had to drive the car home and didn't have change of clothes) I put my long rain coat on and got under the car and started washing the area that got the splash and spray from changing the coolant and the flush.

I was thinking how stupid that must have looked and glad no one was there. Then thinking, I'm not the only one that must have done something that to a non car guy would think was odd.

So what have you done that a non car person would think was dumb or odd?

I had a 70 lemans years ago no heater,used to fill windshield washer jugs with hot water and lay them against my legs.One time I was filling about 6 of em at a gas station washroom got some weird looks.

Power washing my engine block at the car wash on the tail gate of my Dakota,when it was 15 degrees out.Had to be done.It was cold!

You know, I'm not really sure. Usually I do things without thinking about how I will look. haha

60 Ford Galaxy; wiper motor went out, hard rain.
Tied string to both wipers, so me and passenger could almost roll up the windows, but still pull the strings.

Tied string to both wipers, so me and passenger could almost roll up the windows, but still pull the strings.
Been there, done that. Mine was a '64 International Scout. It was Krylon camo and had boat carpet in it. The ultimate huntin' truck.

Originally Posted by green1
my dads 72 Datsun pickup was like this, driver got to pull the wipers up, passenger down...thanks for bringing back the memory....

bought my 67 dart for 1500 bucks and spent over 4 grand so far into it. not including the engine.!

some of my friends think its prettty crazy. but at the end of the day, they are the jealous ones with their little rice burners..

The same Ford, put a 4 bbl on it; wasn't happy with the secondaries, so I ran a piece of wire through the firewall to operate them. I used to deliver papers to the machines, at 4 am Saturdays, part time in High school.
Had some bored buddies in the back seat. While I load bundles of papers in the trunk, they grab some of that tie wire, and rig my rig to the back seat.
About the time I drop that old 292 Fordomatic into gear, they pull the wire.I still can't believe that trans didn't blow; It was like revving, and putting it in gear. It wasn't a clutch-flite. I got all kinds of hell for peeling out at the loading dock. Of course, everybody was paid back, sooner or later.

goin down the freeway in the power wagon in medium traffic i used my wipers a lil then the drivers side one quit movein so while driving i reached out my window and grabed it. it wouldnt come off so i just held onto it the rest of the trip lol. it looked pretty funny to the rice cuz they couldnt see up high enough to tell what i was doin cept i was sitting all close to the wheel and had my hand on the a pillar lol

I'm sure my neighbors think I'm nuts. One time a swarm of 17 year cicadas took siege on my poor little Bradford pear tree out front. I had heard that they would burrow into the tree to lay their eggs, and that it would kill my tree. So I went out and start shaking the tree and stomping on the the little bastards as they rained down on me. I couldn't dislodge them all so I got the garden hose out and started spraying them down, then repeating the stomping!! I'm sure it was quite the site.

That's funny. Strange how many of us have had to resort to this.

I had a '71 Austin Mini. I'm 6'3" and at the time, a svelte 220#. Not like now. The guys at work used to howl when I'd climb out of such a little car. Well, the wipers quit at the most inopportune time. Pelting rain, and winter afternoon rush hour.

I tied a string to both wipers, thru both windows, one piece, so that I could move them both at the same time. Drive along with my right hand going back and forth in the center of the car.

Had the same problem with my Mazda 808, but the wipers wouldn't move. Had a spare blade, and had to reach out and wipe the window in the downpour. Made for an interesting drive home over a busy bridge.

I put 302 heads on a 390 stroker.........

I build fences for a living, and string barb wire and razor ribbon with no gloves......

In 8th grade, I was so mad I hit myself because a kid pissed me off, and wouldn't hit me.

When I was 18 I drove a 49 jeepster flat head 6(45 flat out) with no convertable top over Snoquilmie Pass in Dec in a blizzard just to get some off my girlfriend that lived in Redmond at the time. It took 9 hours, State patrol pulled me over just to see if I was frooze! What a guy will do for some good lovin sometimes.

Maybe I should try this on my sons Monte Carlo, some kind of issue with the motor.

When I was 18 I drove a 49 jeepster flat head 6(45 flat out) with no convertable top over Snoquilmie Pass in Dec in a blizzard just to get some off my girlfriend that lived in Redmond at the time. It took 9 hours, State patrol pulled me over just to see if I was frooze! What a guy will do for some good lovin sometimes.

What woulda been crazy is if you drove all that way an DIDNT
get ANY!
You woulda went crazy alright!

An Green1, that is crazy lol.

63 VW Beetle just like Herbie the love bug, canvas sunroof and all. Throttle cable broke. Amerian Autoparts store was no help. The lot next door to them was prepared for foundation pouring when a bank sits today. I cut a portion of their string from the stakes and tied it to the throttle lever and around to my left index finger. Point-N-Go.
There is a thin line between genius and crazy. I stagger like a drunk from one side to the other on an almost daily basis. I think we all do. :)

Had a '76 Chevy Cosworth Vega. Had an electric fuel injection pump mounted under the car about where the rear passenger seat is. The armature on the pump developed a dead spot so sometimes it wouldn't run unless you banged on it with something. It was a special order part from the dealer so I had to put up with the problem for quite a while. I kept a piece of twine tied to the rear suspension somewhere & brought it in through the passenger door. To start the car I'd let the twine lay on the ground & lay a piece of 2x4 on top of it. Then I'd sit in the driver's seat, push in the clutch (starter interlock) & yank on the twine over & over while I cranked the engine. The 2x4 would bang on the fuel pump & the car would start. I developed the twine system after I had to have a girl who worked in a donut shop come out & start my car one morning while I lay under it hitting the pump. I remember telling her I was going to ask her to do something that might seem strange.....

Had a '68 Ford 6 cylinder van. One night it quit getting fuel about 10 miles out of town (problem later turned out to be a piece of crap that had jammed in a 1-way flapper valve in the fuel pump). Walked to a house & used their phone to call my girlfriend. Asked her to bring my big leather bag full of tools, my transmission funnel, & a gas can with gas in it. I used some electrical tape to fasten the funnel to some tubing & feed it into the carb inlet. Set the gas can on the engine cover & used another piece of tubing to start a siphon feeding gas into the funnel. I would raise & lower the funnel to control how full the siphon setup filled it. Actually lost the siphon at a stoplight & had to restart it & got a mouthfull of gas. Drove it home this way. 3 on the tree, manual steering with a steering wheel as big as one on a bus, one handed while the other hand held the funnel. Good times!

63 VW Beetle just like Herbie the love bug, canvas sunroof and all. Throttle cable broke. Amerian Autoparts store was no help. The lot next door to them was prepared for foundation pouring when a bank sits today. I cut a portion of their string from the stakes and tied it to the throttle lever and around to my left index finger. Point-N-Go.
There is a thin line between genius and crazy. I stagger like a drunk from one side to the other on an almost daily basis. I think we all do. :)

Hey, I had a '63 sunroof Beetle too! Had a friend who was a mechanic at a VW dealer. The way he talked, the string on the throttle lever wasn't all that unusual. I can believe it. I've had throttle cables break 3 times on Vw's. :toothy10:

Backroadin' in a VW with a sunroof in the rain and no washer fluid. Hung out the sunroof pourin' wine on the window and we went off the road and thru a fence into a ploughed field...

Broke a tooth one time and had a sharp hook on it so I took my Dremel tool and ground it down...

Drinkin' beer on a bridge and once drunk decided to hang a rope in a tree nearby to swing into the river. Physics determined that my trajectory would place me into the river side rocks, not the water. Broke some bone in one foot and sprained other ankle...

Blowin' beaver dams with dynamite...

Running from the cops on a snow machine and leadin' them into a sandpit and gettin' them stuck and leavin' them there...

lots more if I can remember

pete

Broke the throttle cable on my 67 Barracuda on the way home from school. Took the shoe string out of my boot and run thru a hole in the firewall. Had about 10 miles to get home.

I don't think it worked very well, think I ended up turning the idle up and going about 30 mph and burning the brakes up, man that was 35 years ago

-
Back