What hood scoop on a First Gen Barracuda?

-

fadingfastsd

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I kind of asked on another thread, but I'd like to know about scoops.
I've been searching and haven't really found may answers.

I'm looking for a hood scoop for my 64 Cuda with a stock hood.
Does anybody have some pictures/recommendations?

Also whats the history with putting the round cutout on the hood with the air cleaner sticking through? Its so bad ***!

I'd really like to go that route on my cuda first I think, it just looks awesome. With my new 318 thats going in the car, what intake/carb setup do you run that sets the air cleaner up so high? Do you use some sort of spacer on top of the carb or something?

Please school me on hood scoops, what they came off of, and what would look cool on my cuda!?

They never offered a scoop as an opption in 64 on the A-body. So, I improvised with styling. (car in avatar)I used a "Mini Cobro" scoop wich is a shrunk version of the Cobra Mustang scoop. It's short enough to see over and not too wide. It also fits the body lines of the hood a little. But if you where to install a scoop that is period correct it would be a Ramcharger or Max Wedge scoop from a B-body. I will be changing mine out to this style as soon as I can scratch up the funds for a metal version.

As far as the hole in the hood. 2 things come to mind. 1, a high rise intake that doesn't quite fit under the hood. And 2, Fresh cool air will help engine power.

Here is a pic of a Valiant with the Demon scoop on it.
I didn't think I would like this type of scope on a cuda/valiant but I like it.

This is someones car on FABO, but don't remember who's, I just liked it so I saved it, no disrescpect for who's ever car it is!

65val.hood.scoop.jpg

Thanks for the replies. I like that Demon scoop!
Where can I get one? Is that fiberglass?

Thanks for the replies. I like that Demon scoop!
Where can I get one? Is that fiberglass?

I have the same scoop on my '64. You can see it in my avatar. Here's some more pics, just to give an idea of how it looks on the car. I think this style scoop looks pretty good on an early Barracuda, but I might be just a LITTLE bit biased. Try to ignore how crappy the car looks. This is when I pulled it out of storage after a looooooooong time. :-D This was the only way I could justify posting pics of my car. :angry7:

00111.jpg

00222.jpg

00333.jpg

Here is a pic of a Valiant with the Demon scoop on it.
I didn't think I would like this type of scope on a cuda/valiant but I like it.

This is someones car on FABO, but don't remember who's, I just liked it so I saved it, no disrescpect for who's ever car it is!

It is "Moparlee's" car, very nice ride!

Here,s my 66 Dart,I just set the scoop on it to have a look and see how it looked.Scoop is for my 73 Dart Sport 340.I found the scoop at Moparfest/08 in New Hamburg,Ontario for $250 which is a deal in these parts.Stay away from Yearone,s scoop the fit was horrible and I sent it back.Moparfest is Canada,s Carlisle.

trim 027.jpg

As far as I'm concerned, in this order 440 six pack, Demon dual snorkle, or 340 six pack Challenger dual snorkle (can't remember the name). As far as the air cleaner sticking out of the hood, sure looks cool, 'til you get caught in the rain and/or dust and it gets clogged up and you can't get air through it. My thought is keep it covered up.

Also whats the history with putting the round cutout on the hood with the air cleaner sticking through? Its so bad ***!

I did cause I like the vintake look of it, I think it has a late 60's to mid 70's look about it, I really like it. I originally was going to put a scoop on it, but still haven't decided on what to do. I really like the look of the dual snorkle one like moparlee has on his Valiant. One thing I like about the open hole is that the engine shakes when ideling at a stop light, sure draws lots of rubber neckers!! :toothy10:

junkyard 020.jpg

Picture 658.jpg

I did cause I like the vintake look of it, I think it has a late 60's to mid 70's look about it, I really like it. I originally was going to put a scoop on it, but still haven't decided on what to do. I really like the look of the dual snorkle one like moparlee has on his Valiant. One thing I like about the open hole is that the engine shakes when ideling at a stop light, sure draws lots of rubber neckers!! :toothy10:

Thanks! Thats exactly what I'd like to do.
What did you do to get the air cleaner to sit that high?
And how did you measure and cut the hood for it?

I think I might go that route with the air cleaner through the hood for awhile, and then put a scoop on it down the line.

As far as I'm concerned, in this order 440 six pack, Demon dual snorkle, or 340 six pack Challenger dual snorkle (can't remember the name). As far as the air cleaner sticking out of the hood, sure looks cool, 'til you get caught in the rain and/or dust and it gets clogged up and you can't get air through it. My thought is keep it covered up.

Yea, the rain sucks while driving but I have some door edging molding around the edge which helps divert the water around the hole, while driving, not much even comes in, it is while ideling still is when it comes in. Also, the hot engine evaporates the little that makes it in anyway. Actually, the holes I cut in my inner fender walls for my headers lets in more dirt and water that the hole in the hood.

I do run a K&N filter, hasn't plugged up yet. I have had to clean some bugs off of it but that is it. Remember, the K&N filter has oil in it, it keeps the water out and is washable and resuable.

When I wash my car I cover the engine with a sheet of plastic (make sure the engine and headers are cool!), this keeps everything clean and dry. I also carry this plastic in the trunk incase I am at a car show or something and it rains. Here is a picture from last summer in the rain at a hotel we stayed at for the big Mopar show in Farmington, MN. :toothy10:

Picture 570.jpg

So how did you get the air cleaner to sit that high?
And how did you measure and cut the hole?
Thanks!

I am running a Mopar Performance M-1 intake with a 1" Super Sucker carb spacer, Holley 650 DP carb. The air cleaner is a K&N unit I got on ebay, it actually has a drop base! The filter is a tall one (forget the size). I originally thought it looked to big for that 340 but after running it through the hood like I did I love it! You can get just about any filter size from K&N.

My buddy actually did most of the work measuring outlining the hole and where to cut. We measured from the hood edges to the carb stub in the carburator, remember, the engine is not centered perfectly, it is off to the one side an inch or more. If you cut the hole perfectly centered in the hood, the air cleaner will not be centered in the hole you just cut. We made the hole about 2" bigger than the air filter for a little play when the engine moves a bit. I used an air tool, straight cutter (yes!), to cut this out. Yes, very carefully done! I also had to cut some of the bracing underneath too. Then, when I was done, I used black plastic door edge guard from the local parts store to put on the edge. Later on, if I put a scoop on it, then I will measure again and center the hood scoop to the hood, not the hole.

I would run it open for awhile, you can always "scoop it" later! :toothy10: Here are some more pictures.

junkyard 025.jpg

Picture 090.jpg

Picture 091.jpg

Picture 005.jpg

Here is the one on my hardtop valiant. I love the look of it even though it is a Chevy style.

RubyValiant015.jpg

RubyValiant012.jpg

66340sedan, do you know how much room is from the crabs flange were the air cleaner sits, to the top of the air cleaner lid on the inside?

Daves66. Even though it's a chevy hood, the design itself is found on so much. It's a good bolt on/bond hood that will help alot on anyones make and model. Screw it! If it helps, it helps!

I have a '79 Dodge Magnum and I can't figure out what would look good on top. Not much room underneath the hood.

I have a spare hood for my 65 Cuda and was thinking of putting a scoop on the rougher one. I was thinking of going with the 67-69 Cuda Triangle style like on some of the drag cars back in the day and fab up a seal to the under side of the hood. The basic shape is already on the under side of the hood so I'd just have to transfer that shape to the topside. The tricky part would be making one or adapting one of the later Cuda ones to my 65 hood and grafting it on. I'm not a metal fab kinda guy so buying a scoop and fitting it would probably be my best bet. ;) I suppose fiberglass might be easier to shape so that might be an option too.

I had planned a scoop on my 65 years ago. I planned on using a single Swinger scoop since it was small and bolts on. I have since decided against any scoop. If my engine needs more air flow, I will add louvers to the hood for a much more vintage look. :)

What a gorgous lady 340sixpack, if my car turns out looking anything like yours in Black, I will be overwhelmed. That scoop fits your car well, what is it off of?

Thank you Vic.Not sure of the year but its a mustang scoop.Uncle pulled it at a
salvage yard years ago and had it in the attic since.May have come on some torinos too,seen one in a mag similiar.Minor mod at the rear for the body line
in the center of the hood,other then that bolts right on.

i love these demon scoops.
Ive seen this 66 dart on a show, which is a real mean car.
Anyone ever seen a demon scoop on a 66 dart?

DSC_0032.jpg

-
Back