What I did today

-

rtse440

Reaction score
Today was my first solo pull on a tractor/trailer. I'm still shaking, had to back it out of a parking lot than rush hour traffic on I64 and I95 in Richmond

Attachments

• 0113111826.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 194
10 minutes later and one sore clutch leg. To some farm boys like backing up a hay wagon.

Let's see, I drive them forward here and there without the wrecker! More power too ya!

I take it your a newbee driving a wrecker? Aside from having to back it up, how do you like it?

My hats off to you. We have to get our buses towed on occasion and I think the same thing every time. I'm glad I don't have to drive that. The combo is so long it looks like small freight train.

It was hard for some farm boys backing up a hay wagon because they could not figure it out when the front two wheels would turn for you , it was hard as hell with a Old Johnny Popper "old John Deere:8) Doing it with a wrecker would be Very Very hard 8)
Looks like you got the job dun :cheers: my hat goes off to you also rtse440 :cheers:

Cheers to you, I'm no CDL holder, so I don't know what it's like, but i'd imagine damned hard! Good job!

Congratulations! You have done something that not many can do!

Just started 6 weeks ago, was to get 2-4 weeks training. Started on a Monday, Thursday of my first week I was pulling.

Looks hard but gotta be very rewarding. I can only imagine having that much power in my hands. Congrats on the solo.

Good good !!
Now you need to try a loaded 83' long car carrier....where you must take the front tires off the truck and then lower it down to regular height so the cars on the tractor don't test bridges and traffic lights. It's the small things that make a difference

Smart-1.jpg

Just be smart, use your head and remember, when you have 60,000 to 100,000 pounds in your hands, things don't stop on a dime.

It could be a fun job though, however on an accisent scene I don't think I could handle some of the things seen there.

I don't think he did anything but wear his left knee muscles out, and possibly his nerves.
Imagine trying to back out of your driveway with a 80 foot trailer, esp with all the drivers nowadays that are asleep at the wheel.
I personally had a lady try to load her car on my car carrier as I was delivering, parked in a parking area on a 20mph street.
She claimed she did not see me and my truck musta jumped out in front of her.

Good good !!
Now you need to try a loaded 83' long car carrier....where you must take the front tires off the truck and then lower it down to regular height so the cars on the tractor don't test bridges and traffic lights. It's the small things that make a difference

Smart-1.jpg
Dave, would it really have killed you to lose that load? I mean, you've got insurance, right? Just back up to a quarry and dump 'em. Would have done us all a solid. I'd be glad to testify that I saw a bunch of Al Queda terrorists steal all those smart cars, pack them full of fertalizer and head of towards D.C.

The combo is so long it looks like small freight train.

Great job! I know I always have to think twice when backing up our 32' 5th-wheel the few times a year we get it out.

"Small freight train" is what I thought the first time I saw a tractor pulling triples in Utah. We don't have triples in California.
I remember thinking, "Gotta be a trick to back up triples!"
I'd have them going every which way.

Edit: WOW! Just noticed this is my post# 3000. Where'd the time go?]

Good good !!

Smart-1.jpg

I was asked the first of the week to do a car hauler with real cars my BUTT Puckered and I said NO Way. The Driver who did take the load was at 14', front tires were 6" off ground at 100,000 pounds.

-
Back