What Is A Respectable Time??

-
14 sec is quicker, but it seems you are like me, Joe...

Once youve driven something in the 12s or lower, the whole spectrum of view changes.

I feel the same way, but try to remember the averages of things and most likely, 14s are quicker than average times for -all- cars on the road.

But hell, if 12s or lower are obtainable, go for by all means.
Just saying, 14s are respectable and decent and will have its fair share of killed prey.:mrgreen:

it really has nothing to do with me driving a 12 sec car. and i agree with 340srule. a 12 second car is slow now. i know my car gets beat by all kinds of stuff.

when i was cruising my 14 sec valiant in the early 90's it felt fast for the first week. then came the vettes and mustangs and it didn't feel so fast anymore. like i said it will be peppy but it sure isn't quick. and now mustangs and vettes are even faster. hell there are some v-6 cars tha will give a 14 second car a hell of a run. its just the real world now. no disrespect for 14 second cars. hell i'm fine witrh them. alot of times they can be more fun then the faster cars. break less and may even be able to drive them a little more comfortability..

I've read and read. The idea of *** time being respecable is an opion and from a certain view point.

I don't care what size the motor is, 14 flat is the begining of the word. And it's a little R for that matter.

Again, I don't care what size the engine is. By saying, (Add heavy sarcasim in a baby's voice here;) Oooohh, that poor lil'318 is workin so hard to get into the 14's, it's workin soooooooooooooo hard..... HEY! Wake up jerky!!!!!!!, it's still 14's and ricers are gonna kick you arse and bad.

BY all means, if your happy with 14's, then so be it and God bless ya. By on the street, respect isn't startin until your hittin it hard and everyones talkin about it.

IMO, a nice street ride is mid 13's. At a min. under 14's.

If your gonna step up and make a nice ride that has some guts for putting a few clowns in the place, then step up.
Understand I think that a fun ride need not be quick. A fun ride need to be fun for the driver and no one else. And if that is a boat running mid 15's, then so be it. The only one it should concern is the driver/owner.

My big block Magnum (1978 - 400 cid/727/3.55's) is probably that slow. I couldn't care less. It is a fun ride with enuff torque to get goin. OH, which reminds me, I tried to keep up with a Neon the other day and got creamed. Glad he didn't see me tryin to keep up, I think he would have seriously burried me beyond bad if he did.
I'm tell''in ya know that lil'freakin bugger just got up and wlaked away from me while I was at W.O.T.

I've read and read. The idea of *** time being respecable is an opion and from a certain view point.

I don't care what size the motor is, 14 flat is the begining of the word. And it's a little R for that matter.

Again, I don't care what size the engine is. By saying, (Add heavy sarcasim in a baby's voice here;) Oooohh, that poor lil'318 is workin so hard to get into the 14's, it's workin soooooooooooooo hard..... HEY! Wake up jerky!!!!!!!, it's still 14's and ricers are gonna kick you arse and bad.

BY all means, if your happy with 14's, then so be it and God bless ya. By on the street, respect isn't startin until your hittin it hard and everyones talkin about it.

If your gonna step up and make a nice ride that has some guts for putting a few clowns in the place, then step up.
Understand I think that a fun ride need not be quick. A fun ride need to be fun for the driver and no one else. And if that is a boat running mid 15's, then so be it. The only one it should concern is the driver/owner.

My big block Magnum (1978 - 400 cid/727/3.55's) is probably that slow. I couldn't care less. It is a fun ride with enuff torque to get goin. OH, which reminds me, I tried to keep up with a Neon the other day and got creamed. Glad he didn't see me tryin to keep up, I think he would have seriously burried me beyond bad if he did.
I'm tell''in ya know that lil'freakin bugger just got up and wlaked away from me while I was at W.O.T.

Very well stated, but you still had a lot on your plate with that little neon; probably a 1,800 pound difference.8)

Its all opinion and perspective I guess.....

The 318 Dart he is building will be decently quick and peppy and will easily pray on many equally or so equipped, modern V6 or not and is respected.
If its street domination that is craved, like some, more money and power is needed to get to the quicker times.

I think we all need to realize that all of our ride (318 four barrel and up) are at least average to all cars, acceleration and speed wise. It all depends on build and if the driver wants to be the quickest of the quick.8)

OUCH Rumble, i thought we were friends. lol

for some reason my email turned off, so i didnt know there were so many responses. Ok so who has a proven 318 combo that is a mid 13 to low 13?

Heres mine
68-318 block bored .30
kb167 pistons set to 0
eagle I beams
76-318 stock heads port and polish,3 angle valve job shaved .20 thous. 901 springs
comp XE262 cam 262/270 duration .462/ .470 lift
EDDY 600cfm
Eddy preformer intake
Hooker comp Headers
3.23 8 3/4 rear

for some reason my email turned off, so i didnt know there were so many responses. Ok so who has a proven 318 combo that is a mid 13 to low 13?

Heres mine
68-318 block bored .30
kb167 pistons set to 0
eagle I beams
76-318 stock heads port and polish,3 angle valve job shaved .20 thous. 901 springs
EDDY 600cfm
Eddy preformer intake
Hooker comp Headers
3.23 8 3/4 rear

Put some more gear and converter into it, and you may be pretty damn close right now to atleast 13.7s to high 13s. Depends on track as well and density altitude.

I am running an XE268 with stock compression and slightly shaved heads, with 650 DP, 3.21 gearing and stock converter and have run 14.39 with 26" tires.

My 60 ft times suck, but go figure with the bone stock tc and the relatively tame gearing.

Again...it depends what the metrics are. What are we comparing ourselves to?

Agreed...we need accurate rides to compare against, however, I do believe the others are just going by ultimate times no matter the ride and competition.

Its all good, just trying to help cover all of the bases.

Heres mine
68-318 block bored .30
kb167 pistons set to 0
eagle I beams
EDDY 600cfm
Eddy preformer intake
Hooker comp Headers
3.23 8 3/4 rear

no mention of a converter? i'd say low 14s as it sits...Low 13s? No. High 13s? Maybe, on the top of its game.

13.6 here with stock port j-heads, 9.7:1cr, eddie 650carb, .480lift/280*dur hyd cam, 3.91, 3500stall, headers, 29.5" tall slicks (wayy...way to tall).

According to the dyno it was extremely lean with that tune (since changed), shorter tires next outing, better fuel, i may run faster.. 3500stall with 3.91s on the street, even with this little engine is pretty fun

no mention of a converter? i'd say low 14s as it sits...Low 13s? No. High 13s? Maybe, on the top of its game.

13.6 here with stock port j-heads, 9.7:1cr, eddie 650carb, .480lift/280*dur hyd cam, 3.91, 3500stall, headers, 29.5" tall slicks (wayy...way to tall).

According to the dyno it was extremely lean with that tune (since changed), shorter tires next outing, better fuel, i may run faster.. 3500stall with 3.91s on the street, even with this little engine is pretty fun

Agreed.

More cylinder head is needed to match the better pistons and compression now.

High 13s are possible now, with minor changes.

Ill say this ,a lower performance car will bring more money than a flatout fire breathing race car, and ya cant go wrong with a 340 and iron case 4 speed in a 74 or under duster, dart, scamp, demon etc

Ill say this ,a lower performance car will bring more money than a flatout fire breathing race car, and ya cant go wrong with a 340 and iron case 4 speed in a 74 or under duster, dart, scamp, demon etc

I agree....

When I am bracket racing, the "slower cars" often are victorious, as the quicker has to run the slower down without breaking out and they quite often redlight in eagarness. Its absolute fun.

I would still like to build an all out 10-11 sec car eventually in a few years when I pull in some more currency.

Man,

You guys must be in some very shallow car areas...

There are guys all over my town of about 30,000 people that are driving cars for daily drivers that run in the 10s, 11s, and 12s...so, in my area a 14sec car is nothing. King of the street in my area is a HEAVILY modified late-model Camaro SS that consistenly runs 10s at the track and has even been known to dip into a high 9 here and there.

BUT, to agree with what many others have stated in this thread, unless you are building your car to compete... you really shouldn't worry what you or the other guys run, because someone else will almost always be faster. I build my cars the way I want them for a reason and the reason simply remains that I build my cars for me. I don't really care if someone else likes the way my car looks, drives, performs, breaks down, etc....because when all is said and done I am the one that has to deal with all of those things, not someone else.

Bluntly Stated,
Mike

Depends on the area, likely not gonna pull up next to a 9second camaro here. I don't think ive sat next to something that'd tear my car up out here in the year and a half ive been here. Not saying there arent 'fast' cars out here, just seem to be far between em

OUCH Rumble, i thought we were friends. lol

LOL, sorry, didn't mean to ber-rate.

MOPARJ, I don't know what the HP to weight ratio is for a Neon, but my dead on arrival 400 is weighing in close to 4,000 lbs. With a rated 190 HP and 295 lbs. of torque only helped out by headers and dual exhaust. I'm not screaming power.

LOL, sorry, didn't mean to ber-rate.

MOPARJ, I don't know what the HP to weight ratio is for a Neon, but my dead on arrival 400 is weighing in close to 4,000 lbs. With a rated 190 HP and 295 lbs. of torque only helped out by headers and dual exhaust. I'm not screaming power.

Lol....I hear you Rob.

On the other hand, that little go cart may not have been quite as stock.
Maybe you can attest to that. but if it was a lower level neon with about 132 bhp, you probably wouldnt have been too far off.

I am just rambling here I guess....lol...just having fun with this thread. Bench racing.

What about high 12's 318? Respectable?

In short...........hell yeah it is.

In comparson, if that time is legit, it is faster than a few example listed here:

Late 90s to Early 2000's Vettes
Pontiac G8
Mustang (GT and some older Cobras)
Some of the slower SRT8 Chrysler Corporation vehicles
Many more

All stock ofcourse for the vehicles listed.

Sure 12s are quick and fast, as are some cars a second slower.
We just need to compare to the right vehicles and give what the car is due respect.

Otherwise, its just what one "thinks" is fast, not in comparison to what all vehicles in general run as average times.

Thats a hot little teen'. :cheers:

cmon down to west palm beach goody, Ill show ya mine that will actually go 9.89 but dont have proper equipment or license to go 9.90s and I only have 10k in the car and neighbor has a mid 8 second 64 malibu runnin a 540 , guy across the street runs a 10 flat 92 camaro with 462 and alum vanfield heads, we got ricers running 9.30s but they dont seem to last very long, wanna buy a nice 71 dart or nice 74 duster?

thats alright ill just keep adding to my pile just fine. magnum/roller 360 and hair drier to build around. ;) just waitin to start working for BMW and ill get to building things a little faster. I'll be looking for a more all around street car, rather than just a drag car...thats street legal really. All in the name of boost :D

Whats the build on that bad-boy? :cheers:

That is exactly what I was wondering.....

Hey Mopar1962, if I lived in a neighborhood anything like yours, then ofcourse I would feel a little inadequite, so I would have to upsize greatly in engine.I would probably love it,as well, living in your neighborhood. Everytime I start the motor on any of the cars, the leftest green neighbors just complain about the smell if the cars and noise. I usually say this to their ignorance::thebirdm:

But over here, there are a lot of "other" cars rooming, so the 318 is good for now and runs quickly and hard for the size of motor.

-
Back