what is a running 318 worth

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a hard time giving them away...
Hey Peoria isn't that far from Kankakee, next time you get in that situation let me know. Id rather run a 318, I feel the same way about 360s as most people seem to feel about 318s.
The problem with 318s is they're all over, "dine a dozen" UNTIL I FIND MYSELF NEEDING ONE then they get expensive for some reason and unable to find ..

Probably not quite what we all wanted to hear. I must say I am a bit surprised. The 318 is such a good engine. True this is an old thread, but still sad.

Didn't all 318 engines have a steel/forged crank?

I sold a great running 74 318 for $35 one time......
I bought a 318 with a 904 for 40 dollars then sold it for 100 ...Im so ashamed...but hey thats really how it was...the guy who said "I cant give em away" wasnt lying...there was a time they "grew on trees" figuratively speaking...:)

Last edited:
Probably not quite what we all wanted to hear. I must say I am a bit surprised. The 318 is such a good engine. True this is an old thread, but still sad.
AS time passes theyll go up in value simply because there arent as many around any more alot end up in the scrap heap but so did some 340s 360s beleiveit or not 340s got thrashed and beat rebuilt and thrashed again etc. Id bet there will be a time when a 1971 318 2 barrel stock intake and carb will fetch a penny or two...

Very true. It only has the slant 6 that's better. lol

AS time passes theyll go up in value simply because there arent as many around any more alot end up in the scrap heap but so did some 340s 360s beleiveit or not 340s got thrashed and beat rebuilt and thrashed again etc. Id bet there will be a time when a 1971 318 2 barrel stock intake and carb will fetch a penny or two...
I don't know about that, either. That's like sayin flathead sixes are goin up in value simply because there aren't a lot left. Just not so. It's the same with 318s. Nobody really wants them. Same with slant sixes, too.

I cannot get $100 out of a running 318, complete with carb, alternator, starter etc.
Its in a 75 truck, can hear run.
Not worth the time to fool with it for that little bit of cash.
I figure as hard as my nephew is on his old Dakota, he will need another engine before much longer, I will just give it to him.

Well, now with all the "318 is as good as a 340" chit chat going around, maybe the prices will go up....I have a line on a 318 core but I think "what will I do with it it will just sit..." I have a 340 sitting on an engine stand so its like "yeah..." I actually wish I didnt have a career that sucks up my time id put the engines in worthwhile bodies and sell them... keep em running etc. a fellow Mopar guy once told me "well you only have 1 car to restore thats a good position to be in.. "he was right unless you just dont work for a living youll never have time as 1 man to restore that many of them past the level of "rolling junk".

I WISH they hadn't discontinued the 318. I dont like the 4.7 they replaced it with in the lineup. I have had many 318s over the years and love em.... except for the TBI in truck years... now THAT system flat out SUCKED. Currently looking to replace one of my (318 magnum) vehicles as its getting a bit crusty and all I can find to replace it are 4.7 equipped.
They should have never been allowed to stop making 318s and putting them (at least) in trucks and vans.

You might add the year to the ad, a 67-70 would have a steel crank and a little more compression. It might be more desirable.
This isn't an ad. If it was it would be deleted because of the conversation we have going here. :lol: :lol:

I would pay $750 -$1000 for a 1968 318-3 truck engine...maybe more if dressed up

Over the pond here in Aus, a 318 core is going for $1000-1500aud, a standard runner 2500-3500.
I wouldn't pay that much, but that is current ask (we didn't get too many 360s, and not crazy amounts of teens)

An enterprising fella could send a container full of SBMs in any condition over here and potentially make a real good dollar.

I really don't know how to distinguish what the three means

-3 is the truck engine. Different heads, water cooled manifold plenum, cast water pump, valve seat inserts etc

The 318 in my 75 valiant couldn't do a powerbrake on a frozen lake covered in coolant. That's part of why they're so undervalued. Stroker kits, cheap aluminum heads and better piston choices might change that but stigmas linger

Since this is a WIW thread, how about a rebuilt 318 that has a stock 340 cam, Performer intake and Edelbrock carb. Runs well, no smoke. Complete carb to pan.

1698403936191.jpeg

Oh! I just advertised a 69 318 & matching 904 with a 69 340 4 barrel manifold for $700. No wonder I'm not getting any action :). On the other hand my son sold the 318 and trans out of his 69 Barracuda complete with linkages and accessories for around that price early this year. Buyers were fighting over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back