What is an A-body 8 3/4 worth

-

69GT

Reaction score
I have an unaltered A-body 8 3/4 rearend that came out of a 70 Dart. It has a 2:76 ratio 489 case sure grip pig and is complete from drum to drum. I would appreciate some opinions as to what it is worth as I am thinking about selling it.

Probably around a grand.

I wouldn't sell mine for that. Maybe that's why I still have it.
I hear ya,I paid 450.00 for housing and axles and do mot even want to say how much for 3.23 and 4.10 sure grips that I bought at other times....

Not a great ratio. If it had a 3.55 or a 3.91 it would be another 100-150 higher.

I paid $300 for mine 2 years ago. 3.23s & a extra 741 Sure-Grip chunk to boot! My truck was fish-tailing around the corner when I left the guys house. Couldn't get away fast enough in case he changed his mind! The ad was on CL for aout 3 months before that too! The blind squirrel ate good that day!

Lonewolf nobody called the cops on you??? You thief. LOL. I'm have rear end envy. LOL.

I've seen them listed for $1k-$1.2k local to me over the past year. Who knows what they actually sold for.

I'll take 350 for mine. Plus an 8 1/4 in trade.

What condition? Rebuilt and ready to go? Or in need of a rebuild? Anywhere from $500 to around $1000 depending.

OK....here's a breakdown for you

Bought one for my wifes car for $350.00
Had 3:55 Sure Grip.
Had 10" drums with good hats.
Turned freely and quietly and that's important

Needed new pads - $30.00
Needed new wheel studs and installation - $100.00
Needed emergency brake lever arms - $45.00 used
Needed shock mounting plates and u bolts - $100.00 used
Needed new seals...just in case - $60.00
Needed cleaned up, painted and filled with oil: $50.00

Grand total for a used but now excellent rear set up is $685.00

I looked for two years and saw the prices all over the place. I had already purchased a dirty old peg legger and when I finished the sure grip I eventually sold it for $300.00. It needed everything.

I believe a fair price is $600 - $800 for a complete operational unit in ready to go condition. That is a middle of the country price. Probably higher on the coasts.

God luck.

Mop

I paid $100 for a housing. I've seen pumpkins sells for about $400. I rebuilt mine a few years ago and cost me about $1k and that was with new axles and and gears and everything. Might have been a little more since I upgraded to disk. My guess depending on what it has anywhere from $700 to $1k?

I just sold one, 8-3/4, with axles, 489 case with a 3.23 Sure Grip for $600, to a board member.
Now the B-body axle I have, I couldn't give away.

I have a b body housing that I'm saving for a future project, a t bucket build some day. lol

I didn't know that 8 3/4's for A-bodies were that scarce that they command such high prices.$1k for one rebuilt with 3:50-3:91 sure-grip gear rebuilt I can see.

I paid $450 for a complete 8 3/4 with sure grip 4.10s 15 years ago needing a going over. I just picked up a clean dependable 8 3/4 3.91s with super stock springs for $500. I probably wouldn't sell the worn it one for less than $500 just because of the crazy prices. Looks like I have 2, now I need another Dart!

Here is a realistic break down...

Using used parts you are looking at:
Center = 450
Axles = 450
Brake angd housing 250
powdercoat or paint 150

1300$ and you have mostly used parts.

-
Back