What is best way to remove instrument panel from a 67 dart?

-

duster360

Reaction score
I have a 67 Dart and need to pull the instrument panel out to replace the speeometer. I thught I could just pull the screws from the outside and just pull it out but the speedo drive case is hitting the dash. Would like some helpful hints before I start again so I don't risk breaking anything.

You will have to drop the steering column from the dash.
Don't forget to disconnect the battery when removing the alt guage wire.

You will have to drop the steering column from the dash.
Don't forget to disconnect the battery when removing the alt guage wire.

and block the tires, if you have a elevated driveway. When i had the scamp, i was takng mine out and was on my back on the floor and dropped the column, and went for a ride. WOW.

I took the windsheild out and removed the screws holding the dash in and took the whole dash out

But I was taking it apart anyway

Get someone small and YOUNG to lay on the floor to get up there to loosen everything

if you are old and FAT like me remove the drivers seat so you can lay on the floor and not hurt your back as much

I have a 67 Dart and need to pull the instrument panel out to replace the speeometer. I thught I could just pull the screws from the outside and just pull it out but the speedo drive case is hitting the dash. Would like some helpful hints before I start again so I don't risk breaking anything.

I did the same thing two years ago, and you definitely need to drop the steering column to get the speedo out as warwagons mentioned. Also make sure you detach the speedo cable and other wires. Most of all be patient, because if you pull or twist too hard parts of the circuit board may crack.

Yup, especially the straight connector on the LH side. WD-40 everything you can and remove those canon plugs carefully. After the column is down, the speedo cable is loose, and wires disconnected, you should be able to rotate the top of the instrument cluster toward you and down to work that bottom bulge over the lip of the interstructure. Also be carefull with the dash lights. The holders break just looking at them crosseyed!

Thanks for the replys. Now I know what to look out for. Thanks.

-
Back