What is considered a good air fuel ratio at cursing speeds?

-

fuzzman

Reaction score
Hey all I have a 408 stroker in my car and just installed a FAST air fuel ratio guage and have been working on jetting the carburetor and right now at idle I'm reading 14.6 and when I'm cruising down the highway it is reading about 13 to 13.6. Is this a good cruising ratio? I'm running a Quick fuel 750 SS carb.The car seems to stumble a bit from idle. Is there a set ratio that one would be after in a basic street driven car? What is the ideal ratio at Idle and at cruising speeds?

Pat Faley
67 NB S Clone
69 Vert Project
Peoria IL

It really depends on the engine, but typically at idle a carb might run smoothest a little on the rich side, say 13.5-14. I imagine your engine being a 408 stroker probably means it's no slouch either, so really whatever ratio makes it idle best is what to use. I have my 5.7 running around the mid 13's for idle ratio now and it seems pretty happy. May be able to lean it up some now that I figured out some computer issues, but I haven't messed with it. You can also tune by trying to get the highest vacuum possible at idle and see what ratio that gives you.

For cruise it's really just as lean as you want to push it without pinging. I have mine set up to be in the 14's on cruise, 14.6 at my main cruising rpm. I can maybe even push it to the lean side a little more (I've heard some people push engines to 15 or so), but I could feel the engine surge and lose some power when it was dipping in the lean side on the inital tune when cruising. You also have to watch the timing when you go lean. Typically you need to add some timing since a lean mixture burns slower.

That's a bit of a misconception a lot of people have. An engine burning lean does NOT burn hotter necessarily. If you put less fuel in, you don't burn as much, so you can't produce as much heat, it's thermodynamics. Sure you get some air charge cooling from vaporizing the gas, but I highly doubt you'll lower temperatures 100 degrees by vaporizing gas. You'll cook exhaust valves because the lean mixture burns slower and burns into the exhaust stroke instead of using up its energy during the power stroke.

what about the guages from auto zone or o reily? how well do those work and can you rely on them?

The fuel you use will also be a determining factor in where the AF falls.

Low-mid 13's is a bit rich in most cases for cruise. If it was in the mid 14's it would be better. The numbers I mention are all based upon straight gasoline... NO ETHANOL! If there is ethanol present, the numbers come down.

I do know some guys that are cruising with AF's in the 15's with carbs. Here's a thread over at slowparts... Enough info to make your head spin... LOL

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads...=QuestionAnswer&Number=6495361&page=0&fpart=1

Another place to read is the innovate site for tuning help.
http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/forums/index.php

cursing speed

"Cursing at any speed?"

cursing.gif

-
Back