What is it with WD-40?

-
I use it to soak down old undercoat prior to removing it. Spray it on the undercoat every day for about 5 days and let it soak in. Then just scrape the undercoat off with a paint scraper.

This

FB39964E-A9C2-4757-8AA4-49B8CAAA00EF.jpeg

Had a vehicle stored in an outside building once and it got very warm outside after a long cold spell so i decided to lift the hood to check for condensation.
The engine was soaked...completely covered in water.Got a can of WD40 out and sprayed it down...water just disappeared.
I spray with WD40 things stored in outside buildings now...especially the engine and wiring.
Smokes a bit when spring start up arrives.

Why do people think it's a good lubricant and insist on using it on things that a real lubricant like PB blaster or Kroil should be used on.

Today I got home from work and the neighbor was trying to open a rusty gate for the first time in 20 years. I went over to help him and he said "let's use wd 40 on it. So he sprayed some and it didn't have any effect. Then I ran over to my shed and got some pb blaster. The pb blaster immediately made the rust "muddy" and we were able to muscle the gate open.

Why are people stuck on WD 40 when it's not a real lubricant.
I haven't used wd40 in over 15 years when i discovered pb blaster and dont use pb much since i discovered Kroil. I use kroil pretty much for everything. I use it for cleaning and lubricating my guns. I use it for sharpening stones I use it on rusty nuts and bolts. Squeaky doors etc. The only downside is kroil is very expensive and it has a very strong smell (indoor use) personally I like the smell but my wife hates it lol.

The radiator guy down the street turned me on to this stuff.... works good. Smells good. Jennifer is the contact over there at KM. I give it for Christmas gifts to my gear head friends.

1548084075929765195191.jpg

Last edited:
-
Back