What is it with WD-40?

-
Furniture wax works best to protect the finish on both blueing and wood stocks. You don't oil the surface of your car to protect the paint.. why would you put oil on the outside of your gun. Like said, oil is a lubricant not a preservative. Seal the surface wax or grease for long term metal storage. Oil plus water = oil on surface, water on the bottom , on top of the metal surface. Grease plus water= water on top, grease on the bottom sealing surface. Just FYI. Nothing to do with the topic. I used and still use Pledge furniture wax on all firearms. Just wipe with soft cloth after handling. No prints or rust after 40 plus years at home and 20 plus years in my old gun shop.

I can decode WD-40 for you;

W - Water

D- Dissipater

40 - 40th formula tested.

It is great for removing water from electronics or recently washed old parts.

It can also be used for removing magic marker graffiti.

It is great to have on hand, very useful.

But it was not made to be a lubricant.
You forgot , it`s 60% kerosene too .

Furniture wax works best to protect the finish on both blueing and wood stocks. You don't oil the surface of your car to protect the paint.. why would you put oil on the outside of your gun. Like said, oil is a lubricant not a preservative. Seal the surface wax or grease for long term metal storage. Oil plus water = oil on surface, water on the bottom , on top of the metal surface. Grease plus water= water on top, grease on the bottom sealing surface. Just FYI. Nothing to do with the topic. I used and still use Pledge furniture wax on all firearms. Just wipe with soft cloth after handling. No prints or rust after 40 plus years at home and 20 plus years in my old gun shop.

Interesting, I have a 20 gauge Remington 1148 , ''my first quail gun', got it when I around 11-12 yrs. old . The whole family were quail hunters, and quite good at it too, " back when their were actually quail around here". Every one of us cleaned/oiled the entire gun after every trip. That 20 ga. , along with my 1148 Remington 12 gauge look like the day they came out from the factory ,a little liter blueing but no rust and the wood is a little darker maybe but still looks new
That 20 gauge has had a million rounds thru it, and never misfired or jammed , unless I held the trigger down too long when firing it.
Of course we were pretty eccentric about cleaning them after every use. Had both out in total down pours too, when we had to tip the barrel down to let the water run out of them, washed with wd40 even before the trip home. And they were stored in plastic gun cases that had the usuall soft case lining. Have heard a few people say they would rust in the plastic cases, > they are still in plastic cases.
I have since gave the 20 ga. to my son , he treats it the same way--------

Why do people think it's a good lubricant and insist on using it on things that a real lubricant like PB blaster or Kroil should be used on.

Today I got home from work and the neighbor was trying to open a rusty gate for the first time in 20 years. I went over to help him and he said "let's use wd 40 on it. So he sprayed some and it didn't have any effect. Then I ran over to my shed and got some pb blaster. The pb blaster immediately made the rust "muddy" and we were able to muscle the gate open.

Why are people stuck on WD 40 when it's not a real lubricant.

Agree on the PB blaster, shake well before using.

Each product has its use. I use WD40 where hinges or slides need lubed to stop rust from forming and it works great. We use it at work on all the door hinges at every service and they never rust. I did use PB Blaster to free rust but have now switched to Deep Creep and the guys at work even switched because it is at least twice as good at freeing rust.

It is been around damn near forever. It is recognized by many simply for that. One thing that I have learned in my 52+ years is everything has its place...have to remember...many folks have close to 0 knowledge of many things of any type of mechanical nature....

Why do people think it's a good lubricant and insist on using it on things that a real lubricant like PB blaster or Kroil should be used on.

Today I got home from work and the neighbor was trying to open a rusty gate for the first time in 20 years. I went over to help him and he said "let's use wd 40 on it. So he sprayed some and it didn't have any effect. Then I ran over to my shed and got some pb blaster. The pb blaster immediately made the rust "muddy" and we were able to muscle the gate open.

Why are people stuck on WD 40 when it's not a real lubricant.
WD40 has some lubricant qualities but it aint the best and is not a lube substitute. Someone told me PB Blaster was WD40 with some acid added? Use WD40 to spray down wet cable, distributor caps, and as a dielectric wash. Works great on wet phone cable.

I read it contained a fish oil.
According to the manufacturer...

“WD-40 does not contain fish oil, contrary to a popular myth, nor does it contain silicone, kerosene, water, wax or graphite.”

“WD-40 does not contain fish oil, contrary to a popular myth, nor does it contain silicone, kerosene, water, wax or graphite.”
i read that it originally, it contained fish oil -but yeah tons of fake info out there

we used this hand cleaner when painting underwater ICBM (actually Ship Launched, SLBM) tubes IIRC called Naptha.
The wife uses some mixed into a bar of soap in her laundry. It is so similar to me a mineral spirits or paint thinner BUT it doesn't burn. I can't find it here and the manufacturer got bought out by a German company while I was stationed at the Launcher Shop at TRF. That stuff was a fantastic stain or (almost dry) paint remover! @Ddaddy

i read that it originally, it contained fish oil -but yeah tons of fake info out there

we used this hand cleaner when painting underwater ICBM (actually Ship Launched, SLBM) tubes IIRC called Naptha.
The wife uses some mixed into a bar of soap in her laundry. It is so similar to me a mineral spirits or paint thinner BUT it doesn't burn. I can't find it here and the manufacturer got bought out by a German company while I was stationed at the Launcher Shop at TRF. That stuff was a fantastic stain or (almost dry) paint remover! @Ddaddy
100% Naphtha is what is used for Zippo lighter fluid. I always carried a bottle of it in my toolbox back when I had my auto Upholstery business. It was the only thing that would safely remove vinyl top adhesive from car paint without harming it. I often had to put new vinyl tops on freshly painted cars and naphtha never let me down.

I think Naptha is also Sea Foam? A very light petrochemical solvent that will burn and will generate lots of smoke. Perfected after 40 tries..sounds like
brew102c.jpg

Could still make out "102" on an old warehouse of the demolished old brewery in downtown LA off the 101. Friends gave me 6 bucks to buy a 12 pack of beer, and I found a case of this for the same price. Man, were they pissed when we tasted it! First 2 had to be choked down, the rest sort of mellowed out. I kept the case cardboard for a few weeks.

I disagree, it used to say 60% kerosene on the cans, haven`t looked in yrs tho. Use it all the time ----------

I actually keep a bottle of wd40 in the garage sink. spray your hands with it before washing will remove any undercoating and help loosen paint.
PB is a great penetrant not a lube in my opinion. use it to loosen stuff up then spray a lube or oil on. Napa has a good chain lube I like to use, sticky and thicker than wd.

I agree with original post - it is not a lube.
It has its uses and I used it as a starter fluid when I was racing karts.

I think we can chalk this one up to marketing.

Not to mention, over the years, don't think I ever finished a entire can of WD40
without first losing pressure in can...……..

PB blaster,quite remarkable.

I have used it to clean old stiff n dirty weatherstriping and hoses. Cleans really well, may have to treat several times to soften.

Better trick is use permatex hand cleaner. Restores and softens on one pass.

WD is good for putting on weather strips of daily drivers to keep the doors from freezing shut.

I disagree, it used to say 60% kerosene on the cans, haven`t looked in yrs tho. Use it all the time ----------
Was at Walmart a few minutes ago, thot of wd40 when I walked by it. DOES NOT SAY OR LIST any of the ingrediants now. It used to say 60% kerosene -years ago !!

-
Back