What is it?

-

Roadart

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
In the photos. You can see a metal cylinder about the size of an egg. The speedo. cable goes into and out of it. Never seen this before. Vender speedo. cables do not show this. What is it ? is it needed for the speedo?? It is on a 72 dart. It looks to be factory mounted on the left fender

P1010013.JPG

P1010014.JPG

looks to be a straight through coupler for a cable that was too short or needing an adaptor.

In the photos. You can see a metal cylinder about the size of an egg. The speedo. cable goes into and out of it. Never seen this before. Vender speedo. cables do not show this. What is it ? is it needed for the speedo?? It is on a 72 dart. It looks to be factory mounted on the left fender

It's a sensor, but I can't remember what for.
It is not needed for the speedometer and can be removed if the cable is replaced.
Took one just like it off the Wife's 72 Dart when I replaced her cable.

I believe that is detailed in the 73 shop manual. You can download it free from MyMopar

What is the recommended oil-change interval,where is the drainplug,and what viscosity do you put in there? I don't plan on doing any hi-speeds so do I even have to worry about this?
lol , I'm not sure , I don't have that option on mine , I read it on the internet , so it must be true?
all kidding aside, I thought Ive seen them on cruise control equipped cars , but I'm getting old , so that may just be coincidence

It's called an emissions speed switch. Just bypass it...

View attachment 1715203325

I thought it was to do with emissions, but I didn't say because I wasn't sure.
Thank you.

lol , I'm not sure , I don't have that option on mine , I read it on the internet , so it must be true?
all kidding aside, I thought Ive seen them on cruise control equipped cars , but I'm getting old , so that may just be coincidence

There was/is a speed sensor for cruise control, but it was a little different from this part.
There is also adapters that are usually down at the trans for changing the gear ratio of the speedo cable if for example you put huge tires on a 4x4, but it was also obviously different.

It's a Speedometer Overdrive, it was an option back then for people with teenage drivers - you could make the speedo read higher than actual.

Alot of guys would reverse it when they were driving with their wives.

-
Back