what is original, what is rare option, what is not?

-
Reaction score
Hello. i picked up a 1973 swinger. The first thing that caught my eye was the police push bars, head light guards, and '70s style fog lamps. As i got closer, i noticed factory bucket seats and a tow hitch... interesting. Looking underneath- i saw huge leaf springs, and 742 axle, power disc brakes, anti sway bar, and large rear drums. When i popped the hood, there was a super six motor with all of the heavy duty additions(over-flow, 7 blade fan, shroud, trans cooler, etc). Now, my questions:

1) Why does the auto parts stores, in the US, show a "Mexican" 2v 225 slant six for 1973, when i go for parts, when a super six wasn't produced until later. Is it possible that my motor is original?

2) How rare is the tow package option?

3) Have you ever seen push bars on a Dart?

4) my swinger has rear defogger, rear defroster, remote trunk lid switch, map lights, dual side mirrors. i'm wondering, are these rare options or part of the tow package?

5) Lastly, was a 8 3/4 742 produced in 1973? for a dart?

Thanks. all help is appreciated.

Attachments

• dart 009.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 339
  • dart 013.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 315
  • dart 014.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 318
  • dart 016.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 328
  • dart 017.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 327
  • dart 018.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 327
  • dart 020.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 322
  • dart 025.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 306
  • dart 051.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 325
  • dart 065.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 305
you need to find the build sheet to know for sure and it should be under the rear seat tucked in the springs if someone hasn't already removed it, I would say that is all after market installed, the light guards and fog lights were 70's and early eighties aftermarket products, the police wheels are added after, as far as I remember they were only available on police and b-vans used them as well but the B-van ones wouldn't except the dog dish caps as they didn't have the nubs to click on, instead they used center caps like ralley's, also that push par is police to but added after I am sure, nice ride though

Looks like all part store add on's, the 742 wasn't available after 68 early 69 so it was swapped in later in life it most likely came with a 741.

Actually, I believe 72 was the last year for the A body 8 3/4, so the whole thing had to be swapped in, I believe.

never say never when it comes to what came on a car from the factory. The tag you show looks odd compared to what I am used to. Could this be a car made in or made for somewhere south of the border???

I love those front bumper guards.

if they were aftermarket add on then I would love to know what company made them so I can score a set of those

The VIN on the door says that it wasn't a super 6 (engine code C), and that it was built in Michigan...

LH23C3B109798

Make
L = Dodge Dart / Demon

Price Class
H = High

Body Type
23 = 2 Door Hardtop

Drive Train
C = 225 105HP(net) 1-1BBL 6 CYL

Model Year
3 = 1973

Assembly Plant
B = Dodge Main, Hamtramck, MI, USA

Sequence Number
109798 = 9797th Vehicle

The 8 3/4 shouldn't be original either. Last year was '72 in A-bodies, and it shouldn't have been in a /6 car either. That said, this is a very early '73 car (8/'72 is the first month of production for the '73 model year), and Ma Mopar has been known to send leftover parts from the previous model year out the door early in the production of the next model year. The 742 center chunk though is definitely not original, and more than likely neither is the 8 3/4. I just wouldn't say it's impossible. However, if the car got the full towing package (A35) it should have factory disk front brakes, which would mean a BBP rear axle, which would mean no 8 3/4 regardless. That's one thing I have never seen, a factory A-body BBP 8 3/4.

The map light isn't that rare, the rear defroster is a little more rare but not some crazy, unheard of option. The dual mirrors were not available in '73 for a Swinger, at least according to the factory options book . However, you could get dual mirrors on a swinger in '72, so that may have been a left over. Or added later. The remote trunk switch is probably a later add on. Of course, without seeing the fender tag or buildsheet it's impossible to say for sure what may have been added later.

Here's some info on the towing package from the factory literature over at hamtramck-historical

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/DealershipDataBook/1973/73_Dart0022.jpg

Also, the police wheels are LBP, so I don't believe that the rear is from an A body, but more likely a transplant from an early B body, which may explain the 742 center!

489 case 8 3/4 after 1970.

push bars look to be bolted to factory bumper guards after removing rubber part.

Can't tell from C in VIN other than 225.

Trailer package may have come with dual mirrors.

Interior is factory Dart SE or Valiant brougham.

If it's an SE it should have had color keyed hubcaps. It is one of the correct colors for the SE package.
Does it have puffy door panels and a padded deluxe dash?

Let's see the fender tag.

Also, the police wheels are LBP, so I don't believe that the rear is from an A body, but more likely a transplant from an early B body, which may explain the 742 center!

Or just aftermarket or re-drilled axles. Even the 65-67 B rear probably wouldn't work with the stock backspacing on a set of police rims, that rear is still over an 1" wider per side than an A body 8 3/4. Even the police rims with an A-body 8 3/4 that's been converted to BBP limit the tire size to a 225 on a Dart.

Can't tell from C in VIN other than 225.

Trailer package may have come with dual mirrors.

The "super six" was a "D" code engine. Of course it didn't start until 1977, but neither did the super six.

As far as the mirrors, they aren't listed as part of the trailer towing package in the literature. Of course that doesn't mean it didn't happen. The options that came with the trailer towing package in '73 are in the link I posted above.

It's a 42 year old dart that's had a lot of stuff changed. End of story. Cool car, but not rare. At all.

-
Back