What is the advantage of a cold air intake?

-

Plymouth 340

Triple Digit Ride
Reaction score
I dont know fully what it is. Its not cold air it takes it from the engine compartment, where its very warm. And then how is it better than a stock air box that take air from directly outside. I dont understand.

I dont know fully what it is. Its not cold air it takes it from the engine compartment, where its very warm. And then how is it better than a stock air box that take air from directly outside. I dont understand.

A "real" cold air intake does not pull from the heated engine compartment.

Many of these "so called" cold air intakes that you see on imports are nothing more than a cone filter.

How are they better? Well your stock air filter just sits there. These after-market, cone filter deals put money in a strangers pocket.

Okay Plymouth, why does cold air being drawn into the engines combustion chamber make more horsepower than warm air? Hint, what are the 2 main gases in the air you're breathing right now, and forget about air pollution, we're talking clean air.

A cold air intake setup will increase your HP, TQ and MPG. You just have to get the intake setup that seals the Air filter off from the hot engine compartment (a good one will have a heat shield with the filter setup depending on the auto).

thanks dart and 70 duster more like it..better to be informative than condesending...your answering the ops question

cold air holds more oxygen molecules than hot air. More oxygen = a hotter burn..same principal as boiling water...boils faster when cold.

thanks dart and 70 duster more like it..better to be informative than condesending...your answering the ops question

Hey, I'm not being condesending, I'm explaining to Plymouth why cold air that is more dense than warm air makes more horespower.

CAI is by far better than stock, provided you run the tubing to the front of the vehicle and not just put a filter in the engine compartment

cold air holds more oxygen molecules than hot air. More oxygen = a hotter burn..same principal as boiling water...boils faster when cold.

There you go JR and that was going to be my last explanation cept I was going to use a jar filled with air out of the fridge and compare it to a jar filled with hot air from outside the house. Because the oxygen molecules in the air from the fridge haven't been bouncing off each other as vigoursly as the air captured in the jar outside. Therefore the cold air from the fridge will have more oxygen molecules (more dense) in it hence to make more horsepower than the stuff ya got from outside.

Now what the hell is condensending about that.

-
Back