What is the best head for a small block.

-
I don't know why in THE hell no one just makes a simple copy of the W-2 in aluminum. The market is flooded with these limited castings. Or better yet, make the W-5 head again, and fix the **** core boxes.

Then you have a head capable of feeding 390-400 inches to about 7200 and make power.
Exactly, An "SR" type head from the company that became famous for their SBF splayed valve heads.

you might guess I agree with YR and George HTrick Flow got started with the canted valve heads
That could be done with individual shaft rockers
I was hoping for a Late Hemi with the head spread out for a 4" to 4.100 bore
the 48 degree cam angle was just made for this
moving the valves a little further apart than the small bore late hemi would allow amazing valves
another LA head is too late

I don't know why in THE hell no one just makes a simple copy of the W-2 in aluminum. The market is flooded with these limited castings.
Freakin Amen!

Or better yet, make the W-5 head again, and fix the **** core boxes.

Then you have a head capable of feeding 390-400 inches to about 7200 and make power.

No that gets a “HELL YA, AMEN BROTHER!!!!!”

Now that there be a gooooooood street head!
LMFAO!!!!

From why I know, which may be incorrect is they take stock rockers. That should be the first clue they are going to be airflow limited, just like every other head made like it.

AFAIK they are still 18* valve angle. Valves have not been moved.

Ports are not raised and who knows if the put the stands in the correct location because you'd need to run the exact same cam and rockers as they tell you or they need to be corrected.

I don't know why in THE hell no one just makes a simple copy of the W-2 in aluminum. The market is flooded with these limited castings. Or better yet, make the W-5 head again, and fix the **** core boxes.

They have. They are called small block Indy heads. Batten and Diamond also made aluminum W2 type heads

They have. They are called small block Indy heads. Batten and Diamond also made aluminum W2 type heads

Batten and Diamond heads are only available used.

I'm not all that impressed with most of what Indy does but it's an option.

Trick Flow could have copied the W-2, supplied rockers, shafts and stands and made a killing if they did the marketing. They'd have to do an intake as well, but they'd have the market cornered.

I don't like using anything Indy. That's just me.

Batten and Diamond heads are only available used.

I'm not all that impressed with most of what Indy does but it's an option.

Trick Flow could have copied the W-2, supplied rockers, shafts and stands and made a killing if they did the marketing. They'd have to do an intake as well, but they'd have the market cornered.

I don't like using anything Indy. That's just me.

I am with ya. Never had nor considered Indy heads.
Its questionable that anything small block chrysler in the LA family would sell well if it wasnt a standard head type piece.
You cant even really buy a block at a resonable price that any head that makes serious steam can be put on.
Trick flow is merely teaching to the center of the class with this offering. Thats smart.
I doubt eddie victor heads are flying off the shelf.

I am with ya. Never had nor considered Indy heads.
Its questionable that anything small block chrysler in the LA family would sell well if it wasnt a standard head type piece.
You cant even really buy a block at a resonable price that any head that makes serious steam can be put on.
Trick flow is merely teaching to the center of the class with this offering. Thats smart.
I doubt eddie victor heads are flying off the shelf.

I agree. Guys still want to use stock rockers and intake manifolds. Never want to buy a piston they can't buy off the shelf, or worse yet, pay a machinist to move valve pockets or something so you can move the valve center lines or valve angles.

We are our own worst enemies. I don't blame Trick Flow for trying to go after the biggest sector in the market. Who knows, if they make money, maybe down the road they will consider some type of complete top end package that uses an updated head.

And you would be correct. I called Edelbrock about a month ago. They ain't selling may Victor heads.

Does anyone know if the Victor heads are any good? Why aren't we seeing more engines built with Victor heads?
All along, Trick Flow has billed their new small block head as a bolt on replacement, even specifying on the pamphlet they were handing out that it was not intended to be an all out racing head, so I think they will do well in the intended market IF they have good quality out of the box.
I was also looking at how much material there is around the pushrod holes on the Trick Flow. Interesting.

I heard or read somewhere Trick Flow has single and dual plane intakes in the works for the smallblock head.
Brett Miller has worked on the Victor heads and they have very good capability. I dont think its far fetched at all to say they will support 800 horse with the right parts under them..... N/A. Not cheap.

Yes, the Trick Flow head comes with a “ street port” CNC job. It isnt intended to be a all out race head. I like the flow numbers they have posted
I am hoping to make somewhere around or about 600 horse with them on my build. It will have a non spring eater roller cam, 12.5 to 12.7 ish compression and be street driven. I do plan to have somebody look at them who knows what they are doing and let me know if they are worth chasing further than the way they will come.
I have limited goals( lower 10’s at 3300 ish) so if everything is matched right, they should work as delivered i would think, after checking over

Does anyone know if the Victor heads are any good? Why aren't we seeing more engines built with Victor heads?
All along, Trick Flow has billed their new small block head as a bolt on replacement, even specifying on the pamphlet they were handing out that it was not intended to be an all out racing head, so I think they will do well in the intended market IF they have good quality out of the box.
I was also looking at how much material there is around the pushrod holes on the Trick Flow. Interesting.
If you look at the flow rates of the TF heads, they are not much better than Eddy heads until you get above .600" lift. IMO, this head is not any better than the Eddy Performer head at valve lifts that are below .600". Flow at lower lifts are more important that flow at max lift because that's where most engines spend their time. The TF heads MAY be better quality but are they better enough to warrant the greater expense.

The price will come down once they start making more of them. Just like everything else, what it’s new, it’s expensive.

If you look at the flow rates of the TF heads, they are not much better than Eddy heads until you get above .600" lift. IMO, this head is not any better than the Eddy Performer head at valve lifts that are below .600". Flow at lower lifts are more important that flow at max lift because that's where most engines spend their time. The TF heads MAY be better quality but are they better enough to warrant the greater expense.

Going by what Trick flow says, the new head flows over 280 at 1/2 inch. You have to have very good eddie heads to have them flow that much at that amount of lift. IE, good porting.
I had a set of stage 2 eddies done by Hensley performance years ago that maxed out at 275 at .600 lift, as an example. Dont go by flow numbers posted at places like Hughes. My opinion is they arent accurate.
This all said, it depends on ones goals. Those eddies i had ran 10.70’s on a 3350 pound car with a .600 lift flat tappet with a 727 tranny at about 11.5 compression.
Cost wise, i think the trick flow heads will be significantly cheaper. I was told 1099 each with roller springs and good hardware, with a quality valve job.
You wont get eddies to that level at that price.... IF the trick flows indeed flow what they say as delivered and are ready to bolt on.
Time will tell. I plan to be a guinea pig.

Well you could ask the engineers who designed the Magnum heads if they have some kind of idea.

I'd love to ask those idiots why they went to studs and guide plates.

Oh wait, I know the answer. It's cheaper.

It isn't better. Virtually no one uses studs any more. In spite of the fact that Crower (IIRC) developed the "ball stud" 383 and someone else did a "ball stud" Hemi that were a bust.

The GM freaks spent years trying to prove shaft rockers aren't needed. Now, you can't hardly find anyone with the IQ above a toaster using studs on any type of performance application.

I'd love to ask those idiots why they went to studs and guide plates.

Oh wait, I know the answer. It's cheaper.

It isn't better. Virtually no one uses studs any more. In spite of the fact that Crower (IIRC) developed the "ball stud" 383 and someone else did a "ball stud" Hemi that were a bust.

The GM freaks spent years trying to prove shaft rockers aren't needed. Now, you can't hardly find anyone with the IQ above a toaster using studs on any type of performance application.

Yup its cheaper and good enough for stock engines,our fine shaftmount system is way overkill for factory engines.
However you might have noticed on these boards over the years that alot of moparowners tend to be atracted by anything cheap for some kind of reason.

And one day a very good (Chevy) friend of my said the following;

“I was thinking of upgrading my heads to xx* degree valve angle and getting a shaft mounted rocker system.”

As to where I replied;

“Well, if you would have started with a MoPar in the first place, you wouldn’t have to spend some big *** money on that upgrade since we have it stock at birth.”

It almost two weeks before he spoke to me again.
Yea man, he was pissed.

Yup its cheaper and good enough for stock engines,our fine shaftmount system is way overkill for factory engines.
However you might have noticed on these boards over the years that alot of moparowners tend to be atracted by anything cheap for some kind of reason.
A big No Doubt to both of those paragraphs!!!

And one day a very good (Chevy) friend of my said the following;

“I was thinking of upgrading my heads to xx* degree valve angle and getting a shaft mounted rocker system.”

As to where I replied;

“Well, if you would have started with a MoPar in the first place, you wouldn’t have to spend some big *** money on that upgrade since we have it stock at birth.”

It almost two weeks before he spoke to me again.
Yea man, he was pissed.

A big No Doubt to both of those paragraphs!!!

Just sad that those fine engineers who gave us all this beutifull overkill failed at convincing the beancounters about the lifterangle:(

I was hoping for a Late Hemi with the head spread out for a 4" to 4.100 bore

another LA head is too late

In my eyes the LA is a dead end due to lack of decent blocks that will hold any significant power. This leaves one small block option and that is the G3 Hemi. This is where I'm headed. I've liquidated all of my LA stuff except for one last 340 build-out and glad to do it too.

Stock 5.7 heads (ported)are superior to ANY LA head except maybe the very best executed W2 and even then. Every set of early 5.7's Ive mildly worked flowed 300 @ .600" thru a 2.02". What is even for astounding is the 265-270 CFM @ .400". There simply is not another 2 valve OEM production head that can match them. If I were going to market a head it wouldn't be an LA for serious power. It would be a low cost EQ style Magnum variant in aluminum- stud rockers and all. If that head existed Edelbrock would have some stuff competition. J.Rob

agree
but if i was trick flow i'd build a trick flow canted valve head or a late Hemi look alike
a better magnum- sure more potential than LA at End of Life

agree
but if i was trick flow i'd build a trick flow canted valve head or a late Hemi look alike
a better magnum- sure more potential than LA at End of Life

I do not understand this at all. If you were Trickflow you'd build a G3 head--got it. J.Rob

The G3 has some drawbacks to be sure. Some people think the stock rockers and lack of lower $$$ rocker systems are one of them and they are -----depending on what you're doing. The stock rockers ARE lift limited to about .630-.650"
Big deal--not many guys I know of around here running that in their LA's, reliably. Simply put-the G3 is THEE best bargain for big power in Mopar world that has EVER been. J.Rob

The G3 has some drawbacks to be sure. Some people think the stock rockers and lack of lower $$$ rocker systems are one of them and they are -----depending on what you're doing. The stock rockers ARE lift limited to about .630-.650"
Big deal--not many guys I know of around here running that in their LA's, reliably. Simply put-the G3 is THEE best bargain for big power in Mopar world that has EVER been. J.Rob

I came to this conclusion as well a couple years ago. You put the same amount of work for a 500hp SBM into a G3 Hemi and you'll get 700-800hp out of it. No wacky design flaws either, remember our beloved LA was a quick redesign meant to lower the weight of the Poly engine... the G3 Hemi has almost a decade of R&D, they took their time to make it really good and it shows.

lighter and NARROWER to fit A body
AMC 290-390 came out in 64 better motor Mopar would have been better off keeping the AMC and dropping the LA when they merged with AMC
The would have had a better than Magnum motor years earlier
guys at the shop were working on an 87 Wagoneer- bought a fuel pump for a "5.9" turns out it was a 5.9 360 AMC no wonder fuel pump was in the wrong place and did not fit
AMC has the same bore centers as the 455 Buick so 4.250 bore was no problem for the race castings with plenty of wall thickness 3.250 crank works and less than 3" for trans am worked also as deck is fairly short

-
Back